Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2007 7:23:51 AM EDT
I see a lot of dump trucks not covering their loads which is illegal in this state.

Recentky I have seen something new on the back of them these days.

Written on the rear door is:

Stay back 200ft
not responsible for broken windshields

Can they do this?does this warning really release them of responsibility?

I ahve been behind quite a few of them that literally seem to be throwing rocks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#1]
If it comes off the truck, yes.

If it is flipped up off the road by the truck, no.

When you call in you will get someone that will say something like this, "Oh, sorry to hear your windshield got busted.  Did something flip up off the road by the truck?"

The answer is no, it came off of the truck bed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The sign doesn't release them from liability. That would be the same as putting a sign on your car that says; " I am drunk and not responsible if I crash into you. Stay 300 ft from me."
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Are dump trucks responsible for broken windshields?

Nope.  Rocks are.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
THose signs are B.S.

In Tx they are responsible for any load that falls from thier vehicle.

P
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's not fun to have your vehicle dented because of truckers that blow their loads all over the road.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My understanding is that at least here in Ala, the driver is responsible for ANYTHING that comes off his truck. Here they're supposed to cover their cargo so it doesn't blow out/off.

The sign is BS and probably used to minimize the claims from drives that see it and say, 'well gee, I guess I was warned and I've got no recourse.'

True...but most of the trucks don't even have a license plate. How do you get them to pay up?

edit: I've had two busted in the last 6 months so I would like to know...
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I live in Granite Falls, non stop trucks up this way, have seen the same sign on the back of the rigs. I saw that & thought hmmmmm all regulatory signs from the state are black & white & have a certain look to them, I believe they are trying to mimick them. Piss on them, no love of the trucks up this way.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's not fun to have your vehicle dented because of truckers that blow their loads all over the road.

Damn! Truckers must be studs! No wonder Dusty_C gets so much ass!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
THose signs are B.S.

In Tx they are responsible for any load that falls from thier vehicle.

P
+eleventybillion!

It got to be a real hot-button issue in San Antonio a couple years ago.  A lot of trucks were driving around with their loads of gravel uncovered.  Countless windshields were broken(one of mine included).  Almost everyone you ask has had a windshield chipped, cracked, or broken by an irresponsible truck driver.

A local news station did a thing on this where they went and questioned the truckers.  When asked why they had their loads uncovered, most replied "it takes too long to cover it", or "I didn't feel like it".

The media finally did something right and got people informed about the issue.  I guess the police really cracked down on them too.  The problem finally got a whole lot better, but lately I've been seeing trucks starting to drive with their loads uncovered again

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#10]
If it came off the bed of the truck, yes. Good luck proving that.

If it came off the ground, it's a road hazard and you're SOL.

There's tons of sand trucks on our highways here, and sometimes you have one that is leaking dirt/rocks all over the place. It pisses me off like none other.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]
In Oklahoma it is called "failure to secure load". And yes they are responsible -- if you can catch them and get identifying information. Lots and lots of drama, though, with the insurance company. It is easier to just fall back, pass or get into another lane.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, they are responsible for what comes off of their trucks or is lost from their "load."

However, I think that those signs are placed on there to try and convince dumbass motorists not to ride their ass when there is a possibility of something, like a rock, falling off.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#13]
i lost a windshield to a guy driving with loose rocks going the opposite direction as me, with his tailgate down

one flew right off and nailed my windshield right in the center, wasnt small either. i was scared it might come through the windshield!

obviously, the guy didnt stop how would he know hes launching rocks off his bed right?

I had to go on pursuit, chase the guy down., force his ass onto the side of the road and get his information.

What happened when i contacted my insurance company and told them this, and they contacted his insurance company?

they werent going to pay.... and they werent liable for it.

windshield ended up costing me 130 dollars cash, less than my deductable.

That still pisses me of to this day, and id like to find that truck driver one day and slash 1 of his tires to be even.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It is easier to just fall back, pass or get into another lane.
I did that very thing, and as I was passing the truck one lane over, I watched as he hit a bump in the road and a marble size rock flew out of his trailer right into my windshield.

I wish I had known to get his information and call it in at the time.  

Now I keep a cheap digital camera in my truck.  If it happens again, I'll get a picture, his information, and call it in.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#15]
the shit on the road is
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I aint even gonna touch that

Yes they are responsible for the rocks that fall off their beds, suspension, etc...

Call the Police AFTER you get the Name, truck #  and plate. Then let the Fuzz do their magic.
Try calling the Company right off the bat and they will laugh at you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#17]
The other day on the way back from the range there was a truck hauling dirt uncovered. There was a huge cloud of dust behind him, and shit was getting all over the road. Pissed me the fuck off. No doubt this douche was too lazy to roll the tarps over the top, and Im sure the debris that came off will cost thousands in repair bills...

Much worse though are the complete idiot assholes that feel the need to open their door into yours in a parking lot. I usually make a conscious effort to park away from other cars with lots of empty spaces around. Ill come back out to find a car right next to mine when there were 30+ open spots within a 50ft radius.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i lost a windshield to a guy driving with loose rocks going the opposite direction as me, with his tailgate down

one flew right off and nailed my windshield right in the center, wasnt small either. i was scared it might come through the windshield!

obviously, the guy didnt stop how would he know hes launching rocks off his bed right?

I had to go on pursuit, chase the guy down., force his ass onto the side of the road and get his information.

What happened when i contacted my insurance company and told them this, and they contacted his insurance company?

they werent going to pay.... and they werent liable for it.

windshield ended up costing me 130 dollars cash, less than my deductable.

That still pisses me of to this day, and id like to find that truck driver one day and slash 1 of his tires to be even.

Um you have his information....
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#20]
For a second job, I drive a water truck doing dust control on construction sites. It's basically a big water tank (2200 gallons) bolted onto a truck and has spray heads to put down the water.

One evening a lady waved at me to pull over and when I did she said I had broken her windshield with a rock from my truck. She claimed that had seen the rock fly up from the top of my truck and then hit her windshield.

So I said "You do realize my truck is just a big water tank, and we don't load or haul rocks AT ALL ? The only thing that ever goes in that tank is WATER."

She just stared at me with a blank stare, and then she starts in on me with "Well my husband is a cop, and you could be in alot of trouble!"

So I said "Did you just threaten me? You're threatening to have your husband, who is a police officer, to harass me? That seems like a pretty serious abuse of authority to me!"  

She was seriously flustered at this point and started backpeddling... "No, I wasn't threatening you......"

It ended up that I gave her a business card with the company's info on it, But I never heard from her or her husband. Go figure.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#21]
if its illegal in your state to have an uncovered load, then by all means go after him.  thing is... you need proof.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
if its illegal in your state to have an uncovered load, then by all means go after him.  thing is... you need proof.

Unsecured Load is a Federal issue, not state.

That said see my other post on the first page
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, but good luck proving it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Pass them and throw down a spike strip!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yes, but good luck proving it.

Camera Phone pic
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#26]
No, car/truck tires kicking up the stones on the road are responsible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top