Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2007 11:30:23 PM EDT
Always wondered.

Say for example officer John Doe undergoes Sexual Reassignment Surgery, you know, the whole nine yards, vaginoplasty and all, and comes back as officer Joan Doe.   Can she be terminated or does the department have to keep John, excuse me, Joan,  in  their employ? Anyone know if this ever happened?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Check google archives for the Houston Police Department.  I'm pretty sure they had a case like that.

I saw that one, IIRC it is still in court etc.

Not sure and the pics were awful.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Not Huston but got an interesting one from NY.

NYPD's First Transsexual Cop

The transsexual transit cop, who went from
John to June Lo, yesterday in Queens. Lo has
already won colleagues' acceptance.

MURRAY WEISS and DAN MANGAN
Courtesy of New York Post

June 23, 2005 -- A Queens police officer has rocked the NYPD with an announcement that he is becoming a she - the first known transsexual cop in New York City.

"Everyone's been very supportive, and I'm very happy about it," said a smiling Officer June Lo, who, until earlier this week, was known as Officer John Lo.

"It's taken courage, but I'm very pleased," Lo told The Post on the way to work last night at the Queens Transit Task Force, wearing a white sleeveless blouse, tan cargo pants and sneakers, and hair in a ponytail.

Declining to comment further, the 31-year-old Lo said that at some point in the future, "I will make a statement" about the transition from man to woman.

Lo revealed the gender-bending decision Tuesday night during a roll call of Queens Transit Task Force cops.

When Lo's name was called out by the sergeant, the cop asked to address the assembled officers and was granted permission.

"He said, 'This is the way things are now. My name is June Lo. I've legally changed it from John to June,' " said a Queens transit cop familiar with the situation.

Lo also told the other cops that she had been taking female hormones in preparation for undergoing surgery to completely become a woman.

The hormones have enabled the slight, 5-foot-4 Asian-American officer to noticeably grow breasts over the past several months. In addition to that change, officers have seen the freckle-faced Lo grow fingernails and hair long, and wear earrings in both ears.

"He's been like this for a while," the Queens cop said. "He's been transforming into a woman for a long time."

"You don't know, in street clothes, if he's a male or a woman," said the cop.

Lo told the other officers at roll call that if they had any questions about the process, they could either ask then or later privately.

The cops, most of whom were aware that Lo was in the process of becoming a female, burst into applause at the announcement by eight-year veteran.

"Some guys asked, 'Can we still call you J.Lo?' He said, 'Yeah,' " said one cop, noting that Lo had affectionately has been known by that nickname for some time.

Lo was "totally open and not . . . scared or whatever" during the announcement, the cop said.

Helping Lo was the fact that "everyone seems to like him," the cop said.

Officials said Lo is the first known person ever to undergo gender reassignment in NYPD history.

"His captain had no idea that this was going down at a roll call. He had J.Lo in his office for about an hour," the cop said.

The cop said that superiors are being accommodating by allowing Lo to change in a separate room.

"He's got a private locker room, basically," the cop said

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to go with a definate, "maybe", on this one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#7]
If it's not guaranteed, are you still going through with the surgery?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:57:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If it's not guaranteed, are you still going through with the surgery?

It depends if they finally got the labiaplasty technique down pat. They’ve been having problems getting it to hang just right.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess you're waiting for the "Wizards sleeve" look?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top