Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2005 5:35:18 PM EDT
Yalls seem to hate all public schools. Mine doesnt seem too bad though. They dont force liberal ideas on us (a little was on and after election time) but other than that nothing. My social studies teacher proudly displays his ARMY ROTC t-shirt and doesnt say the most PC things you would think of a teacher. We also dont care about if christmas colors might offend people and stuff like that. So, is there such thing as a good public school?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Some are worse, some are better, just about like anything else.

Very few would compete with a good private school.

I go to an average/below average high school...kind of disappointing because I know I'd most likely do better at a good private school, but I have pretty good options as it is so I'm not gonna worry.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
cant say they are evil, but take God out and you get allot of unrulely students, not all but some.
on the other hand, liberal teachers seem to promote ungodly teaching so therefore there could be truth to your question.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Some are good, but all are liberal establishments.

Schools should teach book knowledge, not socialy engeniering like sex ed, condom useage, and other liberal policies.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Proud product of public education

some are better than others, but I have yet to see an ideal one
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
cant say they are evil, but take God out and you get allot of unrulely students, not all but some.
on the other hand, liberal teachers seem to promote ungodly teaching so therefore there could be truth to your question.

our schools went politically correct....no child fails, no child excels...if you excel, you partner up with the failing child...
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
only the los angeles unified school district (ie 187 land)
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Schools should teach book knowledge, not socialy engeniering like sex ed, condom useage, and other liberal policies.

Sgat1r5

good read recommendation for original poster....
"Dumbing us Down" by JohnTaylor Gatto
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I went to a country public school system from K through 12 before going to a public university.  Note that my mother taught in the same school system, so I have a pretty good read.

Public schools are plagued by the following:

1) A large percentate of dumb and/or unmotivated teachers.  I experienced it, and I remember my mother telling horror stories of fellow teachers who didn't know the material at all.  The teaching profession has an image of being low paying and full of hassles.  That's partially true because crazy admins and undisciplined students are the norm.  It's also false as teachers make decent money.  They like to compare themselves with corporate execs, but it's kind of a silly comparison.  They make more than most truck drivers, and all but the highest manager types in retail.  This is a concern because many people who would have made excellent teachers don't even consider it as an option.

2) The convoy moves as fast as the slowest ship.  Even if there were not insane regulations mandating that X% get passed every year, the public school system would still be bogged down by bad students.  The liberals love to use the school as a baby sitter, and have made it impossible for teachers to get rid of the dead weight.  Once upon a time, there was a class for these guys.  Ever see Welcome Back Kotter?  Same thought...  Today, the potential of all students is hampered by the inability of a few, and too often these are the same people who act up.

3)  Those that attend high school are STUDENTS, not CHILDREN.  The system has a horrible problem in that they treat all pupils like Kindergartners.  This attitude breeds a lack of the acceptance of responsibility among students.  This is a pet peeve, that applies to the military.  I HATE IT when people refer to our marines and solders as 'kids', they are MEN (and some Women)!!!

4) Sports!  If my school, and the local yokel parents put half as much time into acedemics as they did the Friday night game, the locals might be able to match subject and verb tenses...

Private schools can afford to be more selective, and are generally self selective in the first place.  As such, the quality of education can be much better.  They are not immune to public school problems, and have some unique to themselves, but that's where I'll be sending mine...

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#10]
depends on parent participation.

in some inner-city schools, the parents don't show up unless they're giving tv's away
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Are all public schools evil?

I am of the opinion that yes, all public schools are evil. For none of which teach the values of which I shall willingly accept.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I hate public schools for many reasons.

The big reason is that during Kindergarten the teacher already segregated(click) my son into the group of kids that would not make it (excell). Never mind that he tests way off the chart for his age. Granted in Texas we can start them a little earlier now, so most of the kids in his class were about a year older than him, had better motor skills and had more social skills due to siblings and being a product of day care. My kid is pretty sensitive and a little shy no siblings and never had to go to daycare. When confronted with assesment tests and other data the teacher held firm, and suggested we hold our kid back a year. Meaning have him repeat Kindergarten (WTF). This was the teachers 1 or 2nd year of teaching. My son goes to a private Christian academy now and has always been on the A+ honor roll. He is in 2nd now.

My mom has been a Texas educator for over 30 years, 28 of those years as a 2nd grade teacher. My father, history teacher, coach, principal and vice-principal for more than 35 years. Both have masters degrees in respective fields, (English, history and educators license). I was never able to get away with shit when I was going to school. My dad had all my grades a week before the report cards came out. and if I got into trouble at school (ie licks) guess what I got when I got home. My dad has quite a collection of paddles given to him by former students....... I never had any good times in PS......

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went to a country public school system from K through 12 before going to a public university.  Note that my mother taught in the same school system, so I have a pretty good read.

Public schools are plagued by the following:

1) A large percentate of dumb and/or unmotivated teachers.  I experienced it, and I remember my mother telling horror stories of fellow teachers who didn't know the material at all.  The teaching profession has an image of being low paying and full of hassles.  That's partially true because crazy admins and undisciplined students are the norm.  It's also false as teachers make decent money.  They like to compare themselves with corporate execs, but it's kind of a silly comparison.  They make more than most truck drivers, and all but the highest manager types in retail.  This is a concern because many people who would have made excellent teachers don't even consider it as an option.

Yep, there are very many who are just there for a paycheck. Several who make up answers on the spot if they don't know. I know 3-6 teachers that are genuinely good teachers.

2) The convoy moves as fast as the slowest ship.  Even if there were not insane regulations mandating that X% get passed every year, the public school system would still be bogged down by bad students.  The liberals love to use the school as a baby sitter, and have made it impossible for teachers to get rid of the dead weight.  Once upon a time, there was a class for these guys.  Ever see Welcome Back Kotter?  Same thought...  Today, the potential of all students is hampered by the inability of a few, and too often these are the same people who act up.

I really think this is the biggest problem. I honestly believe I'd be much smarter if I stayed at home and taught myself, and had $500/yr for supplies (approx 1/7th of what my school gets for me each year). I'd just need to buy some basic school supplies, a few textbooks, and I'd go to the library. I don't do it because I don't think I'd have the focus to spend my time actually studying.

3)  Those that attend high school are STUDENTS, not CHILDREN.  The system has a horrible problem in that they treat all pupils like Kindergartners.  This attitude breeds a lack of the acceptance of responsibility among students.  This is a pet peeve, that applies to the military.  I HATE IT when people refer to our marines and solders as 'kids', they are MEN (and some Women)!!!

There are a few teachers that treat students as adults/young adults, and more that treat them as lesser beings/children. I have noticed that those who treat them more like adults are generally better teachers, as well as being more intelligent.

4) Sports!  If my school, and the local yokel parents put half as much time into acedemics as they did the Friday night game, the locals might be able to match subject and verb tenses...

Sports are worthless. BTDT, got nothing from it.

Private schools can afford to be more selective, and are generally self selective in the first place.  As such, the quality of education can be much better.  They are not immune to public school problems, and have some unique to themselves, but that's where I'll be sending mine...

Good call.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yalls seem to hate all public schools. Mine doesnt seem too bad though. They dont force liberal ideas on us (a little was on and after election time) but other than that nothing. My social studies teacher proudly displays his ARMY ROTC t-shirt and doesnt say the most PC things you would think of a teacher. We also dont care about if christmas colors might offend people and stuff like that. So, is there such thing as a good public school?

I call bullshit. You live in WI, everything is liberal there. What county?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#17]
not the ones that have teachers who are well-educated and excited about teaching, low student to teacher ratio, and money/supplies/etc.   wait, none of them have this. my kids will go to private school.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a teacher in a public middle school.  I'll plead the 5th.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in schofield, which is by wausau. Its not too bad here from what i've noticed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Geeeeez don't tell 'em to stop using condoms or else rabbit season will have to be called.....
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Public education flies in the face of individualism, capitalism, and personal initiative.

And if the NEA and Teachers Unions had their way, no parent would have a choice in where to send their kids.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Public school helped make me the angry and depressed person I am today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top