Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 2:20:10 PM EDT
I'm talking about VERY minor offenses, like an unpaid drinking ticket.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe unpaid ticket would constitute failure to appear.  A ticket is a ticket.  Failure to appear is still a crime.  

In short.  I'd say the answer is YES.  Atleast my municipal does.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a court date that you dont go to that is failure to appear...happens all the time on traffic tickets. A warrent is issued. Call up your local department or court  and have them check if you think you may have a warrent. Easier to find out that way and turn yourself in, then to find out on a traffic stop, or something else and go take the ride in handcuffs.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup.  Any violation can go to warrant.  The smallest warrant I have ever seen was $33 for illegal camping.  NO, I didn't arrest anyone...what do I look like, a JBT?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes; I have seen warrants for unpaid license fees.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen warrants issued for unpaid seatbelt tickets ($10.00 fine).

Shootist
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. The problem is, this warrant would be in NYC. I got popped last summer drinking a beer outside a bar while making a call on my cell phone, and I came back to Cleveland that same night. The reason I asked is because I have a rifle being shipped next week, and don't need hang ups with NICs for some warrant I may have in NYC. Guess I'll visit my sister this weekend and pay the sucker off. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Simple answer in Ohio would be YES.  Now, I doubt they are gonna hunt you down for it, but if you get caught in NYC you'll stay till you see the judge.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I was on a ride along with a College Police Dept. in Arizona. We stopped a kid for running a stop sign on rollerblades. Normally the stop would not have happened but the kid almost got hit by a car. Anyway the Officer tickets the kid, runs a wants and warrants check and the kid come back with a warrant out of Az. Game and Fish for of all things spearing a trout, bond of 75.00. So YES a warrant will be issued for minor things to.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
You can not extradite on municipal misdemenor warrants. They cant be entered NCIC. So no way it will ever come up unless you go back to NYC.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:11:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. The problem is, this warrant would be in NYC. I got popped last summer drinking a beer outside a bar while making a call on my cell phone, and I came back to Cleveland that same night. The reason I asked is because I have a rifle being shipped next week, and don't need hang ups with NICs for some warrant I may have in NYC. Guess I'll visit my sister this weekend and pay the sucker off. Thanks again.

NYC will not extradite for anything less than mass murder it seems , unless they want to. They actually sent 8 guys 4 hours upstate  to my town on a warrant because he was a suspect in some rapes that were going on in the City that had the  NYC population in a frenzy, and they wanted to get their hands on the guy.We went and snagged the guy and I never even saw him because I was behind the building watching the rear entrance...and for my minor involvement, I was later named in the lawsuit that resulted. Thanks, NYPD.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]
What nobody has mentioned yet is the Interstate Violator's COmpact.

Most all states participate. Even though nobody that I know of is going to extradite for a traffic warrant, states that are participants do take action. If you fail to pay an out-of-state ticket, and the other state issues a warrant, which you fail to take care of, the other state contacts your home state, and they suspend your Driver's License, which is a separate, jailable offense in most places, until you take care of the out-of-state warrant.

My state is so big that they are even doing that at a state level for participating cities, as someone can be passing through, get a speeding ticket, and never come our way again for years (if ever). Pay the citation and save yourself some grief.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again for all the info, interesting stuff. I was mostly worried about my NICs check getting screwed up over it, which would really be a headache. I think I'm just going to file my 4473 this time, and take care of the ticket next time I pay my sis and brother-in-law a visit. The thought of spending a night in a NYC jail is not, well, pleasing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Stopped a lady that owned a restaurant.  Her delivery people used her car to deliver the orders.  They always parked her car in front of the restaurant at a fire hydrant.  

She had 35 parking ticket warrants.  35 arrest affidavits had to be filled out.  My partner and I wrote them, she proof read them.  $30.00 each.  

I couldn't just forget the warrants and tell her to get with the clerk of the court .  When you ran a person on the onboard computer, dispatch would also get the warrant hit.  

In Florida, they issue warrants for everything.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Pay the ticket the first chance you get.  It would really suck getting arrest for dropping your Metrocard on the floor while you visited your sister.  No chance for a DAT even.  Strait to Central Booking.  I can only vouch for Brooklyn Central Booking, but I'd never want to end up there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top