Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 6:15:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 4:19:15 PM EST by Hedonist]
I posted a topic a while back looking for ZTR advice. One of the posters mentioned that they were using Toro at thier work and were happy with them. After lotsa looking at various manufacterers, I think this Toro ZX480 looks like a decent machine. I've decided against getting another full out commercial grade mower - so therefore I am looking for the best residential grade machine but at a decent price.

So anyone know if this Toro TimeCutter ZX480 Zero Turning Radius Mower at an MSRP of $4699 is a decent value? Or is this a $3000 mower with a red paint job and Toro sticker? I have 5 acres of varied terrain - lawn, woods, and some open grass/weed areas.
• 20hp Briggs and Stratton® Intek OHV Twin-Cylinder Engine
• 48" Mowing Deck with Anti-Scalp Wheels
• Dual C-IZT Hydros with Charge Pumps
• 7 mph Top Speed
• Flexible Discharge Chute
• 5-Gallon Fuel Tank
• 3-Year Full Warranty

They also add the following info on a different webpage:
> Premium Engines
> Heavy Duty Mowing Decks
> Deck Washout Port
> Dual C-IZT Hydrostatic Drive System
> Hydraulically Dampened Controls
> Heavy Duty Construction
> Adjustable Armrests
> Flexible Discharge Chute
> Premium Comfort Package
> 3-Year Full Warranty

I hear the Toro name is good, but is this a real Toro or are they like J Deere putting thier good name on someone else's crappy lawnmower?

Forget the Cub Cadet ZTR that Home Depot has at $2999 - that's a POS with a tinfoil mower deck - tinfoil is for ARF hats only. I don't expect the armor plating that the commercial decks have - but does anyone know how much better than tinfoil this Toro deck is?

I was going to look and possibly buy yesterday, but the place was closed for Easter.

ETA: Happy Easter everyone!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:16:45 AM EST
They should be pretty good.....been around for ever
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:47:48 PM EST
Okay, found it discounted online (at Speedway Sales & Service) for $3999, no sales tax, "free shipping". What a deal! I ordered it. Done deal.

Had to pay $50 for residential delivery, and $25 shipping insurance. For an item that weighs over 1000lbs, that's a deal as far as I'm concerned.

So instead of the MSRP of $4699 + sales tax and possibly like $300 in shipping, it is being delivered for $4074.

My thanks to the poster in my other "Help me pick out a ZTR" thread who suggested looking at Toro. It looks like just what I need without overkill of a full blown $7-12K commercial grade ZTR (plus tax and whatever dealer shipping/devivery charges they might ask).

I was originally looking at commercial machines. I ended up high end residential, Tora has 2 levels of residential and I bought the top end which is exactly what I need without wasting a machine that was designed to run 50 hours a week.

My new Toro will run maybe 6 hours a week. So I think I made a wise decision.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:50:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 3:52:00 PM EST by capnrob97]

Originally Posted By Hedonist:
Okay, found it discounted online (at Speedway Sales & Service) for $3999, no sales tax, "free shipping". What a deal! I ordered it. Done deal.

Had to pay $50 for residential delivery, and $25 shipping insurance. For an item that weighs over 1000lbs, that's a deal as far as I'm concerned.

So instead of the MSRP of $4699 + sales tax and possibly like $300 in shipping, it is being delivered for $4074.

My thanks to the poster in my other "Help me pick out a ZTR" thread who suggested looking at Toro. It looks like just what I need without overkill of a full blown $7-12K commercial grade ZTR (plus tax and whatever dealer shipping/devivery charges they might ask).

I was originally looking at commercial machines. I ended up high end residential, Tora has 2 levels of residential and I bought the top end which is exactly what I need without wasting a machine that was designed to run 50 hours a week.

My new Toro will run maybe 6 hours a week. So I think I made a wise decision.

You bought it online, but what about when you need service? The local Toro dealer will not 'squeeze you in' because you are in a hurry to get the lawn mowed. ETA: Or pick it up for free for said service.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:52:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 3:54:06 PM EST by Lakeguy]
All the Toro equipment we have at work is top quality. Granted the Toro stuff I work with is bigger and more expensive but if it has toro on it, you did ok
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:06:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2006 4:26:29 PM EST by Hedonist]
I understand about service.

I do have a trailer which I can use to haul this machine to a service center - and my local Toro sales/service center advertises warranty work on all regardless of where purchased.

Keep in mind I do have a 2 year old 23HP Garden Tractor with 50" cut, so my grass won't grow too long if I don't get priority service.

I just miss cutting with a ZTR, as my old ZTR machine is just not worth maintaining anymore.

Very valid concerns about service and buying online. I think in my situation I'll be okay.

ETA: This machine comes with a 3 year pickup and drop off full* type of warranty.
Top Top