Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 6:35:45 AM EDT
Interesting article on something most of us already knew....help ain't comin'.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304402104579151850028363502

In late September, on a crowded commuter train in San Francisco, a man shot and killed 20-year-old student Justin Valdez. As security footage shows, before the gunman fired, he waved around his .45 caliber pistol and at one point even pointed it across the aisle. Yet no one on the crowded train noticed because they were so focused on their smartphones and tablets. "These weren't concealed movements—the gun is very clear," District Attorney George Gascon later told the Associated Press. "These people are in very close proximity with him, and nobody sees this. They're just so engrossed, texting and reading and whatnot. They're completely oblivious of their surroundings."
View Quote

The problem with many of our new gadgets, as the San Francisco shooting suggests, is that they often keep us from experiencing these face-to-face situations and the unspoken obligations that go with them. Most of these duties—to be aware of others, to practice basic civility—are not onerous. But on rare occasions, we are called upon to help others who are threatened or whose lives are in danger. At those moments, we should not be anticipating how many views we will get on YouTube if we film their distress; we should act. To do otherwise is to risk becoming a society not just of apathetic bystanders but of cruel voyeurs.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If someone had noticed that gun, they may have been the first victim.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I used mine to dial 911 on a truck that flipped over in front of my office last week, had wife call 911 then Facetimed my buddy that runs the local heavy rescue since they take care of these and showed him around and let him talk and see the patient.  Guess. I am a bad Samaritan
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Before smartphones everyone had a variety of books, magazines and newspapers to stick their noses in instead of conversing with other people on mass transit. Before we had iPods, we had Walkman and CD players.

All this digital stuff just crams it onto one device and makes you not have to carry batteries around. The only thing that changed was the size of the headphones, but even that is a reversing trend.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used mine to dial 911 on a truck that flipped over in front of my office last week, had wife call 911 then Facetimed my buddy that runs the local heavy rescue since they take care of these and showed him around and let him talk and see the patient.  Guess. I am a bad Samaritan
View Quote

Yes, because that's exactly what the article says.

Dude, you did the right thing.

If you had stopped to film the guy burning alive in his flipped truck to put on Youtube, then yeah, you'd be one of the folks the article talks about.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
If a man is waving a gun on a commuter train in San Francisco, tell me precisely what an unarmed bystander is supposed to do besides unass the area? Because everyone there is unarmed. Except for the bad guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you had stopped to film the guy burning alive in his flipped truck to put on Youtube, then yeah, you'd be one of the folks the article talks about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stopped reading at San Francisco.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Calling BS everyone knows San Francisco is the most liberal city in the US I’m sure the train was a gun free zone. No way could he have gotten a .45 pass the signs!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I think they're just a Darwin device. I have lost track of how many times some teen texting walks in front of my truck, which has a loud rumbling muffler.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If someone had noticed that gun, they may have been the first victim.
View Quote

I had the same thought.  Once the bad guy's gun is out, your options are limited.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
No, society is turning us into bad Samaritans, smartphones don't have anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't read the article

But will say the nice thing that smartphones have done is shown wrongs commuted by officials where as before would be hard to preform (example: cops not following the law on OCing people)

The main bad thing is too many people are dependent on them. Most can't put it down for a day without worrying.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#13]
when i worked in the city and took the subway everyday, i used to wear headphones w/o the music. gave me an excuse to not be harassed by the beggers and "performers", but still allowed me to people watch.

saw a couple heated scenarios take place where most of the train car was oblivious. always made the decision to to intervene...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, society is turning us into bad Samaritans, smartphones don't have anything to do with it.
View Quote

Yep. 20 years ago people would reading the paper or snoozing. This is an urban area, avoid eye contact.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#15]
People ignore crime a lot in the first place....the cell phone just makes it a little bit easier...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe people don't notice their surroundings so much, but I've had a couple experiences where other people provided me very useful assistance with their phones and one or two more where it was offered.

so, no.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Interesting article on something most of us already knew....help ain't comin'.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304402104579151850028363502

In late September, on a crowded commuter train in San Francisco, a man shot and killed 20-year-old student Justin Valdez. As security footage shows, before the gunman fired, he waved around his .45 caliber pistol and at one point even pointed it across the aisle. Yet no one on the crowded train noticed because they were so focused on their smartphones and tablets. "These weren't concealed movements—the gun is very clear," District Attorney George Gascon later told the Associated Press. "These people are in very close proximity with him, and nobody sees this. They're just so engrossed, texting and reading and whatnot. They're completely oblivious of their surroundings."
View Quote

The problem with many of our new gadgets, as the San Francisco shooting suggests, is that they often keep us from experiencing these face-to-face situations and the unspoken obligations that go with them. Most of these duties—to be aware of others, to practice basic civility—are not onerous. But on rare occasions, we are called upon to help others who are threatened or whose lives are in danger. At those moments, we should not be anticipating how many views we will get on YouTube if we film their distress; we should act. To do otherwise is to risk becoming a society not just of apathetic bystanders but of cruel voyeurs.
View Quote
View Quote

I find it incredibly hypocritical for the author to try to take the moral high ground and write that someone "should act" but I am sure this same author happily pulled the lever for a gun grabbing democrat ..  thus ensuring that those same bystanders didn't have the MEANS to act against an armed attacker.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top