Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2002 5:15:02 AM EDT
I was looking through a Sportsman's Guide catalog and all the night vision advertised had a restriction code that it couldn't be sent to California. They even had a pair of NV goggles made for kids that were restricted. WTF?

I also noticed a Laser Level that had a restriction of being sold to NYC and couldn't be sold to people under 18 and convicted felons.

Man my head hurts!  [>:/]

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Sniperscopes

468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

[:(!]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm....

My understanding is that its o.k. to own goggles and telescopes [b]as long as[/b] they are not mounted to a rifle or maybe not have the mount attached to it which would allow it to be mounted to a rifle.

There are many night vision devices for sale in the state and even some stores carry night vision goggles.

I saw one, I can't remember exactly, but it was a sporting goods store/mart store.

I think it becomes added on to other charges if you were to get into trouble while in possession of these devices. I don't think their mere possession alone is a problem.

Just my understanding and remember i'm not a lawyer (nor did I write any stupid laws).
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I think this has been covered before; read the part about "...through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope...".  I beleive the device must have an IR illuminator attached to qualify as a "sniperscope."

Fucking Kalifornia.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Exactly.  As long as the device is amplification only, you are ok.  You will find that the very same types of devices are sold in CA as elsewhere except that the IR illuminator is removed/plugged/disabled, etc.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The problem is that a Sony Nightshot camcorder mounted on a rifle falls under that category. Sad, isn't it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top