Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2005 9:14:49 PM EDT
All I know about them is that they are the LDS church who is bigtime into gun ownership and food storage.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, not Christians.  They preach the teachings of the Book of Mormon, not the Holy Bible.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTL.... and Yes, regardless of what some will say, they are.
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nope, not Christians.  They preach the teachings of the Book of Mormon, not the Holy Bible.

bullshit
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IBTL.... and Yes, regardless of what some will say, they are.
The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Later Day Saints.

+1, i have asked this question myself and found that they are.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, they are Christian.  Put simply, they believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
yes they are.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
How is the belief of becoming Gods of other planets a Christian belief?  Latter day saints.  Get it???
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How is the belief of becoming Gods of other planets a Christian belief?  Latter day saints.  Get it???

You said that mormons don't use the holy bible.
Your credibility is zero.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes they teach the bible.  I grew up Mormon, or at least I was dragged their.  I assure you they teach the bible both testements.  How long till this thread gets locked?  I predict page 3.  Mormons have the "book of Momon" and also the "Pearl Of Great Price" outside of that they are as Christian as any others I have seen.  The more I come accross Evangelists, Baptists, Adventists, uniterians, and Catholics the more appealing Mormonism becomes.  I am now athiests/agnostic.  Mormons are usually good, reasonable, and friendly people.

Side note if you want to piss off a Mormon tell them "I don't believe in cults"
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't say they don't use the Holy Bible.  I said they preach the teachings of Joseph Smith via the BOOK OF MORMON.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You said that mormons don't use the holy bible.
Your credibility is zero.

Yep, credibility=Shit
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
If they're not Christians, what are they, a cult?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
So why do Mormons believe they can get their dead ancestors into heaven?
And how did Joseph Smith "translate" the book of mormon from some unknown language into King James English in the 1800's?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I didn't say they don't use the Holy Bible.  I said they preach the teachings of Joseph Smith via the BOOK OF MORMON.

So your just anti-mormon?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh no you did not just open up this can 'o worms!!!!

*Runs to get popcorn*

I must ask, for what purpose do you pose this question?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So are you saying they don't recognize, teach or use the holy bible ?

BTW, isn't there a religions forum just for this stuff ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

*Runs to get popcorn*

I am doing some work for a friend of mine who I used to work with.  I thought he was Mormon, but he ends his prayers with "in Jesus' name, Amen".  I know this because when he was the boss at work he used to open and close our meetings with a prayer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm anti-Mormon because I believe they are not Christians???  Oh please.  I must be racist because I gave no money to N.O. residents after Katrina, huh?

Lots of close friends who are Mormons.  Just because you believe in Christ doesn't mean you are Christian!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So why do Mormons believe they can get their dead ancestors into heaven?Never heard that
And how did Joseph Smith "translate" the book of mormon from some unknown language into King James English in the 1800's?A spirit came to him, of an ancient prophet "Moroni" and told him where the supposed "golden plates" were buried

Granted it is bullshit, but in all fairness most religions are.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]
David Koresh and Jim Jones taught from the Old and New Testament, too.  Were they Christians?  Teaching from the Bible no more makes you a Christian than walking into a hospital makes you a doctor.  Unless they line up with how Paul said a person becomes a Christian in Romans 10, they teach a false doctrine.  The LDS teaches a form of legalism and such things as Jesus and the devil are brothers, and that God the Father is a man like you or me who became "god" by following laws.  More to the point, they do not believe Jesus' crucifixion purchased our salvation, but that his suffering in the garden of Gethsemane did.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Runs to get popcorn*

I am doing some work for a friend of mine who I used to work with.  I thought he was Mormon, but he ends his prayers with "in Jesus' name, Amen".  I know this because when he was the boss at work he used to open and close our meetings with a prayer.

Yup, Mormons end their prayers "in the name of Jesus Christ"......but their not christians.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they teach the bible.  I grew up Mormon, or at least I was dragged their.  I assure you they teach the bible both testements.  How long till this thread gets locked?  I predict page 3.  Mormons have the "book of Momon" and also the "Pearl Of Great Price" outside of that they are as Christian as any others I have seen.  The more I come accross Evangelists, Baptists, Adventists, uniterians, and Catholics the more appealing Mormonism becomes.  I am now athiests/agnostic.  Mormons are usually good, reasonable, and friendly people.

Side note if you want to piss off a Mormon tell them "I don't believe in cults"

+1

I grew up Mormon, then went on a sin bender for 20 years. Now I'm agnostic or something, but The LDS religion still makes sense to me as much as any other, and they were all good folk.

They teach self respect and self reliance, you won't find many Mormons on government welfare programs, they have a church welfare program. You will get help if you need it, but you will work for it at some capacity, no freeloading.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
And how did Joseph Smith "translate" the book of mormon from some unknown language into King James English in the 1800's?

Billions of people have never had an opportunity to accept or even hear about Christ's Gospel, God is just and fair and loves his children.  he gives them all a chance to decide for themselves.  

Joseph Smith translated it by the power of God.  

What is "King James English" ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm anti-Mormon because I believe they are not Christians???  Oh please.  I must be racist because I gave no money to N.O. residents after Katrina, huh?

Lots of close friends who are Mormons.  Just because you believe in Christ doesn't mean you are Christian!

huh ??
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Runs to get popcorn*

Yup, Mormons end their prayers "in the name of Jesus Christ"......but their not christians.

No, they are not.  I could prove it, but I don't think that this is the right place to do so.  Anyone who beleives differnt has not done their research.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Runs to get popcorn*

No, they are not.  I could prove it, but I don't think that this is the right place to do so.  Anyone who beleives differnt has not done their research.

What religion are you ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Ever hear of faith?

All religions have some weird stuff in it that you take on faith, so you believe that only the weird stuff in your religion is worthy of your faith?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm anti-Mormon because I believe they are not Christians???  Oh please.  I must be racist because I gave no money to N.O. residents after Katrina, huh?Personally I dont care, I was just plying you to see if you harbored resentment in your first post.  Getting some sense of context or expression, that is lost in print form most oftenAs far as Katrina we are of like minds.  What they were before the hurricane is what they will be after

Rest assured this thought will spur on a pissing contest, should  be amusing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#29]

"Joseph Smith was a prophet dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb"
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Runs to get popcorn*

What religion are you ?

I am a Christian who has researched many different religions and sects, and could, at one time anyway, read the New Testament in the original Koine Greek and the Old Testament in the original Hebrew.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Better hope you aint reincarnated on my planet!

IBTL
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#32]

If they're not Christians, what are they, a cult?

Sure, they're a cult, just like other christians.... and catholics, and muslims, and budhists, and taoist,   or any other religious group.

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k<
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Runs to get popcorn*

What religion are you ?

I am a Christian who has researched many different religions and sects, and could, at one time anyway, read the New Testament in the original Koine Greek and the Old Testament in the original Hebrew.

Thats nice.
So you don't subscribe to any particular established religion ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
they were all good folk.

They teach self respect and self reliance, you won't find many Mormons on government welfare programs, they have a church welfare program. You will get help if you need it, but you will work for it at some capacity, no freeloading.

Yep, that's been my experience with the LDS.

They party like a motherf***er for a while and then find God. LOL!

Seriously, they seem to be the most community oriented religious group around. Always ready for the SHTF. Always helping those who need it.

They are definitely Christian.

I am not a Mormon. I'm a Catholic.

But then, some of ya'll don't think Catholics are Christian either.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I belong to a non-denominational Church.  I was raised Lutheran, became a Christian afterwards, attended the Baptist church for awhile, then drifted to a non-denominational Church as most denominational churches, from my experience, appear to be pretty much dead in terms of spirituality.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Runs to get popcorn*

What religion are you ?

Thats nice.
So you don't subscribe to any particular established religion ?

+1 your a Uniterian?  Or just one of the hypocrites that says you can be spiritual without going to church?  I am an athiest but I am no less curious?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Not true at all.  Tons of mormons in utah have kids while going to school, and then rely heavily on welfare. Nearly 75% of all people in utah are mormons. I want to see a statistic about how welfare use compares in Utah to everywhere else. I bet it's comprable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#38]
SPECTRE grounded me and said I wasn't allowed to answer any Mormon threads. He knows my position and thinks I am an anti. I'm ok with that because I am an anti. I am anti-mormonism, not anti-mormon.. I know SPECTRE to be a fine man and we have been shooting together. I would stand next to him anyday and call him and many LDS I know and hang out with, friends. We just don't talk religion unless one of us asks with a pure heart and really wants to know...He knows I'm a So. Baptist too..

Plus, he can't help it if he's going to hell! (And it just might NOT be because he's a Mormon)

Hey SPECTRE, when's the next CG shoot BTW? I have to call one of the banned members huh?

Hey, take it to the religion forum!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Not true at all.  Tons of mormons in utah have kids while going to school, and then rely heavily on welfare. Nearly 75% of all people in utah are mormons. I want to see a statistic about how welfare use compares in Utah to everywhere else. I bet it's comprable.

Where do you source these stats?  Last I heard Utah was about 51-53% Mormon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#40]
You know, I guess I don't get it.

We say "We are Christian", that should be enough.

If a black or asian or latino or white or whatever kind of man tells me that he is an American, then I take his word for it.  

"Judge not, lest ye be judged" as our Savior was fond of saying.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Belonging to any one denomination does not make you a Christian, any more than having a home in the US makes you a US Citizen -- we have green card holders in this country who have not done what is required to become US Citizens, for example.  The method of becoming a Christian is clearly outlined in the New Testament.  There ARE many christians who are in a wide variety of denominations, but being a member of a denomination does not make you a Christian.  And some denominations and sects teach things that are heretical, a fact that has been recognized since the beginning of Christianity, hence Paul's teaching against Legalism and John's teaching against Gnosticism in their letters.  Having the word Christian on your building, teaching from the Bible, or ending prayers with the name Jesus do not make you or your organization Christian.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
 Or just one of the hypocrites that says you can be spiritual without going to church?  I am an athiest but I am no less curious?

Earlier I stated that I was a Catholic. I suppose that the proper term would be lapsed Catholic. I haven't been to church in over ten years (except for funerals). Mainly due to not liking or agreeing with a few policies of the Roman Catholic Church.

I truly believe that I can be "spiritual" without going into a building. And I truly believe that God understands.

I guess that I'll find out when I die.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
SPECTRE grounded me and said I wasn't allowed to answer any Mormon threads. He knows my position and thinks I am an anti. I'm ok with that because I am an anti. I am anti-mormonism, not anti-mormon.. I know SPECTRE to be a fine man and we have been shooting together. I would stand next to him anyday and call him and many LDS I know and hang out with, friends. We just don't talk religion unless one of us asks with a pure heart and really wants to know...He knows I'm a So. Baptist too..

Plus, he can't help it if he's going to hell! (And it just might NOT be because he's a Mormon)

Hey SPECTRE, when's the next CG shoot BTW? I have to call one of the banned members huh?

Hey, take it to the religion forum!

That's it, I'm calling staff to deal with you !!

I have asked about a Casa Grande shoot but no info yet.  I have heard the range is open again and it's getting nice outside so I hope we can get a shoot going soon.
We'll have to post it at the AZshooting boards as well though so our banned brothers can get in on the fun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

If a black or asian or latino or white or whatever kind of man tells me that he is an American, then I take his word for it.  

There is a difference between judging and pointing out heretical beliefs.  According to your standard, Paul sinned when he wrote against Legalist sects in the book of Galatians.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Not that easy bro...Many sects consider themselves christian and they are the furthest thing from Christianity anyone can imagine...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Around here there are a lot of Mormons on welfare.  I have a friend who counsels Mormons on how to get off the government tit.  The biggest problem is the number of children they have and not being able to take care of them.  It's a sad reality of being a Mormon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Or just one of the hypocrites that says you can be spiritual without going to church?  I am an athiest but I am no less curious?

Earlier I stated that I was a Catholic. I suppose that the proper term would be lapsed Catholic. I haven't been to church in over ten years (except for funerals). Mainly due to not liking or agreeing with a few policies of the Roman Catholic Church.

I truly believe that I can be "spiritual" without going into a building. And I truly believe that God understands.

I guess that I'll find out when I die.

Interesting response however not addressed to you.  He actually answered about 10 seconds before I finished typing.  Yes I agree a building should be irrelevant but hypocrites use this as an excuse to grill Non-Cattle/ Non-Flock people like myself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that easy bro...Many sects consider themselves christian and they are the furthest thing from Christianity anyone can imagine...

As alluded to earlier, Jim Jones called himself a Christian minister, and he's in hell right now, I'm sure.  Jesus said not everyone who says to him "Lord, Lord" will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, therefore not everyone who uses the name Jesus or even who calls Jesus Lord are Christians.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#49]
That's the great thing about the good old USA.  You can choose to believe any thing you like and worship any God you choose.
Bottom line is that NO ONE can PROVE their religion or particular "God" is the one and only and that all others are false.
It's all based on faith.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Okay, so the NT says: Believe in Christ, have faith in Him, be born again by baptism, follow his commandments.

I have done all of these things, am I, therefore, a Christian?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top