Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/29/2005 3:12:42 PM EDT
Actually, I'm not even sure if it's a US tradition or I'm mixing it up with another country.

The theory being that there is only one 'captain' on a ship, so Marine Captains are given a temporary honorary promotion to Major.

Which also begs the question, how about Air Group commanders on carriers? Are they O-6s or O-5s?

NTM
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:20:57 PM EDT
There can be many captains on a ship. There is however only one CAPTAIN of the ship. A Captain in the Marine Corps is an O-3, a Captain in the Navy is an O-6 paygrade. A Capain of a ship may be any rank and as CAPTAIN is in command of the ship and as such outranks all others on the ship. In the Coast Guard many ship Captains are Chief Warrant Officers and senior NCO's such as Senior and Master Chiefs. Charles CWO-3 USMC (ret).
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:33:46 PM EDT
I never heard that one , like I would were we were staying .
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:43:16 PM EDT
Nope. Only one man is THE captain. For everyone else, it's just a rank.

For instance, we embarked higher ranking inspectors onboard. They were Navy O-6s, captains. Theye did not get promoted to admiral.

We referred to them as Captain So-and-so, but we addressed THE MAN as "Captain."
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:37:30 AM EDT
on my ship the marine 0-3's were referred to as capt. because that is thier rank.

to further ensue this conversation, the 'capt.' of the ship, on a small boy may actually be a commander in rank, but he is the 'capt. of the ship'
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:52:21 AM EDT
OK. I might have the wrong service so. Could have been the Royal Marines.

NTM
Top Top