Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2004 8:43:33 AM EST

Now that I have your attention help a brutha out!

With the sunsetting of the AWB my interest in a G17 has increased again.
We won't mention these Normal capacity mags that just showed up! Thanks CDNN for the great customer service!

What are the differences between Generation 1, 2 and 3's? Pro's/Cons of each?

For the sake of this discussion just assume I am Glock ignorant...cause for the most part I am!

All info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:48:00 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:48:00 AM EST
The best and most reliable handgun made!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:48:25 AM EST
well as far as I know between Gen II and III are the following:

accessory rail for light/laser
loaded chamber indicator(on newer GEN III's)
finger grooves on front of grip

not sure about Gen I's though
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:50:39 AM EST
i have a 1st gen. 17l [longslide], a 2nd, gen 17 & 21. the 17 points like my finger&has never jammed. i am selling the 21 ,just too big for my hand.i think the 17 is the best glock made, and i,m a 1911 guy.later W.B.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:51:16 AM EST
Finger grooves.

Hardening of attachment points of rails to frames.

Picatinny rails.

All off top of my head so it's kinda fuzzy (and my memory ain't too good).

And they blow up.

I have four and not one has blowed up yet. Color me lucky.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:51:21 AM EST
Hijack!

What is the difference in the 9mm followers?

Some are marked 9mm and others I received are marked 9mm3.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:54:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 9:01:00 AM EST by JimTh]
First, go to www.glocktalk.com
They have lots of info on this.
IIRC:
Gen 3: finger grooves and rail
Gen 2: textured front grip, no grooves or rail
Gen 1: no textured front grip, no grooves or rail

ETA:

These are the easily identifiable features. Others have posted some details that aren't obvious and I didn't know about.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:55:23 AM EST
I have a Glock 19.

I am thinking about getting a Glock 21 and a Glock 36.

As long as you use factory JACKETED ammo they are great. Lead ammo without jacketing will cause the lead to build up in the rifiling of the barrel, which leads to increased pressure and blow ups. Alot of people think that this makes Glock unreliable pieces of junk.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:55:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:56:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
Hijack!

What is the difference in the 9mm followers?

Some are marked 9mm and others I received are marked 9mm3.

No hijack brother as I am trying to find out all I can about them!

BTW,
All of my mags say 9mm1 on the followers.

Maybe it has something to do with how lethal the bullets are?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:57:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 9:04:27 AM EST by imposter]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:57:37 AM EST
The newer guns have a light rail, and finger grooves on the grip. I personally dont care for the finger grooves or the grip shape in general. The Glocks are plenty accurate but dont expect tiny little groups. I dont care for the sights either but that is an easy fix. In over 20000 rounds, I have never experinced any failures of any kind. One "new " advantage of the 9mm is that you may never have to reload it! The Glocks are not " Perfection" as they claim, but they will go BANG (not KaBOOM) every time I dont feel bad about recommending them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:57:40 AM EST
Glocks have really good resale, so I would just go ahead and buy a brand new one. I use a third Gen 17...the only things I have done to it is put in a Wolf 20 pounder with a one piece guide rod. You can go up to a 22 pound spring, but I have never had a jam with any ammo, so I will stick with the 20.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:59:52 AM EST
I have a passionate dislike for glocks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:01:22 AM EST
I have a G17 I bought in 1988 and a G19 bought in 1990, both have served me well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:02:57 AM EST
Glocks are excellent weapons and are far more reliable than any other fragmentation grenade.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:04:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 9:04:51 AM EST by JohnnyMcEldoo]
Owned a G17 and a springfield armory XD9. I prefer the XD because it feels better in my hand, is made better besides slide finish, has grip safety, has indicators for when a round is chambered and ready to fire. A better gun for cheaper price IMO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:04:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By Spade:
Glocks are excellent weapons and are far more reliable than any other fragmentation grenade.

If you read the owners manual and not shoot reloads maybe they wouldn't blow up on you!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:19:50 AM EST
I love Glocks.

With that said, if you are in the market for one, I'd suggest avoiding those with "E" series serial numbers, as those had some issues with out of spec slide rails that could break. There are some E series that aren't affected, but I can't recall the specific batches within that serial number range that suffered the problems. Most of the LE pistols were recaled and fixed (voluntary recall) and some civilian pistols were also sent back. I believe they just slapped a new frame on them (with a different serial number) and sent them back to the owner.

Other than that little thing, I have no issues with the Glock. But I tend to only buy the 9mm models. Contrary to what some have said, .40 caliber Glocks have a higher tendency to KB than 9mm. While using bad ammo can certainly cause KB's, there have been many instances of factory ammo KBing in the .40 cals as well. The higher pressures and the fact the Glock can fire out of battery (along with an unsupported chamber) are the reasons behind this.

But again, I'm not saying the Glock is a bad pistol. In fact, a G17 is my favorite carry gun. So if you have chosen a 9mm and get a gun that isn't from that batch with out of spec frame rails, you should have no issues at all. The orginal Glock (the 17) is still the best and least problematic of them all.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:27:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 9:28:36 AM EST by 1911lover]
I have had 3 Glocks; Mod. 23, mod. 19 and a mod. 30. I carried the 19 on the job for 2-3 years. They were all reliable. When I retired I sold the 19, had traded the 23 long before that, and I simply could not shoot the 30 accurately (that was just me) thus sold it.

Although I feel all three were totally reliable with decent ammo, I became enamored with the XDs when they hit the market. Ergonomics are better for me, and I have a 3" I sometimes carry and a 4" for the son for IDPA. They are generally cheaper than Glocks, just as reliable and accurate and as easy to take down.

I cannot bad mouth Glocks, but have always preferred my 1911s, and like the XDs. The "plastic" guns have made me a believer, mainly due to weight ("carry-ability"), dependability and out of the box accurracy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:28:04 AM EST
Nope. They suck ass. Go HK.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:30:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 9:31:43 AM EST by ar50troll]
People here HATE Glocks. It's my preferred carry gun. Never had it blow up in my hand...yet
G36 compact 45. Nice and small with a big bullet. Great summer carry gun...unless it blows up in my hand???

Do the standard mods to be happy...New York trigger and associated disconnect. Extended slide and mag release, nite sights. Grip plug.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:31:43 AM EST
I have a Gen.1 used G-17 (police trade-in). It is my favorite and most accurate 9mm. Better than the H&K USP, Sig 226, and even the CZ-75 (itself a wonderful 9mm). I just wish the Glocks came with an external safety.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:31:51 AM EST
+1 for Glock 19
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:31:55 AM EST
I'm not a big fan of Glocks, but nonetheless I would own one but it wouldnt be my go-to pistol.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:40:57 AM EST
I have a G22 and G23, Go for it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:46:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 9:48:28 AM EST by Polyak]
Love my G23 and G22

I wasn't too happy with them and the whole "voluntary" recall bit. My G23 did fall into that recall. But, Glock did take care of me quickly ( once they eventually owned up to the problem that is ).
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:50:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

Originally Posted By Spade:

If you read the owners manual and not shoot reloads maybe they wouldn't blow up on you!

Nah, I'm a HK USP .45F guy. And I shoot reloads through it no problem (my buddy's IDPA special rounds).

I don't like glocks because a)the owner is a dick (the same can be said of HK), b)the whole voluntary recall thing c)when a cop had his glock go full auto, instead of investigating it first, glock chose to claim the cop had modified the gun. Only when the cop's armourer had another gun do it did Glock bother to look into it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:53:02 AM EST
I think that when someone buys a glock, they buy an 03 mustang with a v6 and an automatic tranny.

Pointless.

People buy them because they "look cool"

I personally hate them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:55:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:57:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By mtechgunman:

Really?!?!?!?

Sorry­, I like my Glocks, but they are not the best looking I admit. I own Glocks for their simplicity in design and function ( I dig the no external safety bit ).
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:05:17 AM EST

Glock 23 Gen III.
The finger grips bugged the crap out of me so a little Dremel tool surgery and it's a lot more comfortable.
I also Dremeled the trigger guard on the other side where my middle finger used to get a blister from the corner.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:52:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
I love Glocks.

With that said, if you are in the market for one, I'd suggest avoiding those with "E" series serial numbers, as those had some issues with out of spec slide rails that could break. There are some E series that aren't affected, but I can't recall the specific batches within that serial number range that suffered the problems. Most of the LE pistols were recaled and fixed (voluntary recall) and some civilian pistols were also sent back. I believe they just slapped a new frame on them (with a different serial number) and sent them back to the owner.

Other than that little thing, I have no issues with the Glock. But I tend to only buy the 9mm models. Contrary to what some have said, .40 caliber Glocks have a higher tendency to KB than 9mm. While using bad ammo can certainly cause KB's, there have been many instances of factory ammo KBing in the .40 cals as well. The higher pressures and the fact the Glock can fire out of battery (along with an unsupported chamber) are the reasons behind this.

But again, I'm not saying the Glock is a bad pistol. In fact, a G17 is my favorite carry gun. So if you have chosen a 9mm and get a gun that isn't from that batch with out of spec frame rails, you should have no issues at all. The orginal Glock (the 17) is still the best and least problematic of them all.

-CH

I was aware of these issues and did not know what series? etc that they were.

Thanks,
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:02:10 AM EST
Get the one with the rail for the light. Glock's light is quite nice for the money. I'd get the 19 over the 17. The 19 feels much better in the hand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:59:26 PM EST
I have owned alot of handguns but I'm down to 2 glocks (g21 for me & g30 for the wife) she was robed at gun piont 6 years ago ,she had my springfield 1911 on her but did not have a good chance to use it. The first thing she said was "I need practice and a gun with out a saftey"with the stress of having a gun in her face she could not remember if she had the SIG ,1911,H&K or the glock,so I made it real easy ,If its a handgun, its a glock. I sold the rest. 1 gun makes it the same every time and takes away doubt
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:01:38 PM EST
I was a big fan of Glocks...but it changed when I got my hands on the 1911.

But strictly in terms of reliability, can't beat 9mm Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:22:08 PM EST
Great gun.
And could there be a better way to support a national gun registry with the BATFE.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:22:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jeepster:
Get the one with the rail for the light. Glock's light is quite nice for the money. I'd get the 19 over the 17. The 19 feels much better in the hand.

The 19 is a little small for my hands.

I have found a Gen 2 but think I want to get a Gen 3!

This dadgum sunsetting bans!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:02:41 PM EST
I need to rebuy a glock 19 had to sell it to pay of a debt,

I liked it will get a used one thu I hate those damn finger grooves on the new ones.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:19:23 PM EST
I got a Gen 2 model 19 on Sept 12, 1994. It became my CCW for a long time, and has been completely reliable. This is my opinion - YMMV.

Is it as aesthetically pleasing as my Kimber Eclipse? No. Mrs sleepdr calls it "the ugly black one."
Is it as compact as my new choice for CCW (Sig 239 in .357 Sig)? Surprisingly close
Do I trust it to go "bang" instead of "click" every time? Yes
Has it been carried from sub-zero through 100-degree weather with no adverse effects? Yes.
If ever involved in a legal shoot, would I be upset at it being dropped on asphalt then handled roughly through the forensic process? Yes, but better the Glock than the Kimber.

Now that standard-cap mags are again here, it is an even more viable choice for defensive use. Don't put cast lead bullets in that polygonal rifled barrel if you value your fingers - many Glock shooters use Bar-Sto when shooting reloads. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:50:32 PM EST
Glocks are no good.

Send me yours and I'll dispose of them for you.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:29:29 PM EST
Glock has updated the followers for their magazines. So the 9mm1 would be older than the 9mm3. A search at glocktalk will turn up discussions and you can order stuff from distributors or glock depending on what it is and who might have it in stock. There was some trouble getting 9mm3 followers for a bit and I don't know where it ended up.

You can call glock about any glock you are considering and ask them about their not really a recall, recall. I personally do as the above poster mentioned and avoid that series.

Plus the 9mm frame was beefed up not too long ago so that it now uses the same stuff the 40 and 357 sig use, fewer parts need to be stocked and this made the 9mm frame stronger. You can not easily convert a 9mm to fire the other two rounds since its slide has a smaller hole at the end.

You can buy an aftermarket barrel to shoot 9mm in a 40 s&w or 357 sig chambered glock. And if you have either a 40 or 357 sig glock you can buy either an aftermarket barrel or a factory glock barrel in the other chambering and shoot it in that gun. You will need the proper magazines when doing this though.

I don't mind the finger grooves on the 9mm, 40, and 357 sig sized glocks. I hate them on the 45 and 10mm glocks so I prefer the 2nd gen frame for those two. And there are barrels available for the 45acp and 10mm auto glocks as well.

Current new glocks should have a chamber indicator and there is an internal lock designed for them but I don't think everyone stocks it since only a couple states require it. And there may be something else as well, I forget.

I have a couple glocks and with the mags available again I plan to pick up a couple more once I have a nice inventory of the magazines.

One thing to watch on the magazines is that old ones are often not full metal lined, nfml, and this means they spread when loaded. Over time they seem to wear quicker than the full metal lined, fml, mags I have. You could get fml mags before the ban but the nfml was glocks first mag. I don't believe they still make nfml mags, but I don't know.

Overall, glocks are simple to use and take apart, the finish holds up well to anything, I like how you can buy barrels and magazines in another caliber and shoot them, and they are reasonably cheap as well.

I would like to also mention that the glock 36 has a different feel than the other glocks. I had one and it was very similar in size to my glock 19, but the grip angle or the bulge on the back was way different. It made it annoying to go from one glock to another. Very nice 45 acp gun though, I just wish they made mags that held more than 6 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:15:56 PM EST
No one around here has a G17!

There are plenty of G22's but I want a 9mm one.

If I wanted a .40 caliber sized projectile I would get the G20...10mm!

There is one of them locally but I am focused on the G17!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:40:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 8:42:19 PM EST by RAMBOSKY]
I own two 1911A1's that I shoot in matches. I have a 2" snub .357 I keep in the center console of my vehicle. That said.............

I went into my favoriate local gun shop as I usually do on Friday afternoon after work. The shop owner, my friend and shooting partner had three G17, 17 round mags for $20.00 each. On the spur of the moment impulse I bought them. Now I'm saving up for a G17.

But...............what is with the different follower issue on the mags?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:43:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 8:48:06 PM EST by Bullitt3401]

Originally Posted By mtechgunman:
I think that when someone buys a glock, they buy an 03 mustang with a v6 and an automatic tranny.

Pointless.

I personally hate them.

<--owns a 2001 V-8 5-speed Mustang and two Glocks. h
I bought them for the comfortable grip, proven reliability & the trigger system.

The finish on my 2 still look incredible after all these years.

The 17 got the free trigger upgrade about 10 years ago. Good customer service, too.

I really like them.

Scott

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:48:07 PM EST
Decent value...you can afford to have 3 or 4 laying around. I prefer the 3.5# connectors.

MT
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:52:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 8:54:48 PM EST by sniper1az]
I have many friends who are either retired US Custom Special Agents or current FBI Special Agents. They were all issued Glocks in various calibers(Customs got the 9 and FBI got the 40). All of them liked the weapon as issued from their ARMORY; these are not stock weapons! They have been modified by the US Govt to their standards, not the factory. Internal parts have been replaced on all of them.I'm not sure what parts but they were done to make them all have the exact trigger pull and the guide roda are all new parts as well. Thay all like them.

But they ALL wish they could have a SIG !!! (Just like WHCA & the Secret Service).

Who is WHCA?
White House Communication Agency. They are a brigade in size unit that serves the White House. Yep, all hand picked unit of the best operators in the bussiness. All Military guys, asked to serve the White House. If the POTUS has a problem on stage durring a speach, it's a WHCA guy that will come out to assist the POTUS, not the Secret Service,as they are NOT ALLOWED TO APPROACH THE POTUS. They provide security for him. They do not directly interface with him.

And they all carry Sig P229's in 357 Sig.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:53:24 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:04:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
As long as you use factory JACKETED ammo they are great. Lead ammo without jacketing will cause the lead to build up in the rifiling of the barrel, which leads to increased pressure and blow ups. Alot of people think that this makes Glock unreliable pieces of junk.

This is true, but you can get an Outer's Foul Out and it removes the lead build-up. It's basically a reverse electrolosis system. Maybe we could remove the gold plating from that guy's Tec-9 (can't remember his name).

They are ugly, but reliable and unmistakeable. I have 2 10mms: Gen II 20 (with 2x15 rd mags ) and Gen III 29
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:13:50 PM EST
The best reason to get a Glock is when you
drop and scratch one, you won't cry like a girl the way
you will when you drop your Sig.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top