Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2001 5:32:12 PM EDT
If they are seperated, and NOT installed in the weapon???
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
This belongs in the Legal forum, but IMHO an M16 bolt carrier is legal to own as long as it's not installed in a non-NFA rifle -OR- included in a complete set of M16 fire control parts (which would constitute a "machinegun conversion kit").
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
NO.  If you own an ar, and ANY M16 FA part, you are in possession of a 'machine gun.'
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Full-auto bolt carriers should not be in the possession of anyone with an AR-15, nor should he or she possess any other M-16 fire control parts. Simply put.

Even if I owned a licensed NFA M-16, I would [b]hesitate[/b] to keep full-auto parts anywhere in the near vicinity (read - 'in the house') of an AR-15.  I'd keep them separated by yards, if not miles.

I know that's kinda 'nancy-boy' and all that, but the ATF has been sorta 'fluid' in their interpretation of the NFA lately regarding what may constitute a 'machine gun.'

It pays to be overly cautious in the times in which we live.

'Here, here, wink, wink, say no more, say no more.'

Eric The(MontyPythonKinda)Hun
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My pre-ban Colt came standard with an M16 carrier & I have never heard of a law that says I need to remove it, as it is standard equipment supplied by Colt.  My .02
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The only reason that Colt made the half-moon carrier was compatibility with their sear blocks. You can own and store the full-circle carrier but you damn-sure better NOT have any other full-auto fire parts anywhere in your immediate possession.

By the way, if your lower had a sear block and you removed it AND have a full-circle carrier, WATCH OUT! If your lower never had the sear block you should be alright.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes. read the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution.

Oh, and the 9th Amendment. Maybe the 10th as well. Check your state Constitution for additional protection.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys some of the preban Colt's had a full circle , but not the entire lenght bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
NO. NO FA parts are legal around ARs, unless you have an FFL or another appropriate license.

PS MgNiko, I doubt if any Colt Sporters came with a M16 carrier. You only need to trim off a little of the bottom side to prevent sear operation and they are totally legal. This is what "national match" carriers are, or the really nice full-circles that came on some Colts like the Tac Elite. IE the Colt green label carriers that can use an M16 firing pin or an AR15 pin, and do not have the hammer trench. That is what came in yer pre-ban, NOT a M16 carrier unless someone in Hartford really screwed up.

PPS Colt M4 Carbine: you can legally and functionally put full-circle (but trimmed on the bottom) AR15 semi carriers in Colts with a sear block - I know, I have several. It is perfectly legal to remove the block, it is perfectly legal to use a full-circle SEMI (trimmed) carrier (and it won't hit the block) in ANY SEMI AR, and it is perfectly illegal to put an M16 carrier in any of these, or have one around.

Any questions?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Many pre-ban blue lables came with the bottom surface of the bolt carrier milled completely off. This was done before the sear block.

Early SP1s came with full auto bolt carriers, as did most of the Colt 9mm factory semi guns.

Remember that possesion of a semi auto AR15 by anyone who has ever seen a full auto part is against the law.

Also ownership of a shotgun and a hacksaw is illegal as well.

Like the other guys said you are all a bunch of Nancys
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
just an obs - the cia ar15 that were out and about 3-4 years ago had m16 carriers in them.  

i was told you are allowed to have one m16 part on a rifle but not a lower internal part.... supposedly because the existence of the carrier in a rifle does not necessarily mean the rifle can function in f/a mode - it was expempted.. then again this could be a total sea story

steve
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Obey unconstitutional laws that violate your inalienable 2nd Amendment rights and get rid of the thing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#13]
If you look in the pistol caliber forum, you can see that many topics center around the fact that most of the Colt Lightweight Sporter 9mm owners have a FA Bolt.  (The 9mm is blowback only so there is no bolt head, what we are calling the carrier is technically the bolt in this case)  It seems to me that 1 or 2 slipping out of the factory with a FA carrier could have been an error and a legal problem, but with the amount out there, there has to be an exception/exemption.  Perhaps it only applies to 9mms or it is because these guns have a sear block.  These have the Real FA carriers and not just the slightly altered ones that Colt made.  I have to believe that the ATF would have murdered Colt if this was an actual violation of the law.

It also props up steve m's post.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#14]
TO ERIC THE HUN.
I want to thank you for the memory jog. How many years have gone bye since I last heard 'Nancy Boy'? Beaucoup. Nancy Fancy Boy.
HAH! Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top