Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 8:34:50 AM EDT
While researching info for the Great Wendy's Tomato debacle of 2006 I was shocked to ifnd that Wendy's owns Tim Hortons.

Even more shocking is the comparison between average guest check (purchase) at each Franchise...

check it out:

Wendy's

Domestic Company Average Check: $5.00 - $5.25

Tim Horton's

Canadian Average Check: $2.50 - $3.00 (Canadian)

I'm not sure what you could buy here for $2.50 Canadian, maybe a small drink or micro-Chili... maybe if they didn't blow all their money on social programs, our pals from the great frozen tundra next door would be able to afford a real burger...

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]
you mean as in prostitutes?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I hear they don't tip very well...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Canada does not have sugar subsidies so anything made with sugar is cheaper in Canada. One of the main reasons candy manufacturers are moving to Canada.

Generally speaking Canada buys smaller sizes of fruit and vegetables than in the US. Lower cost.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I hear they don't tip.  Period.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Canada does not have sugar subsidies so anything made with sugar is cheaper in Canada. One of the main reasons candy manufacturers are moving to Canada.

Generally speaking Canada buys smaller sizes of fruit and vegetables than in the US. Lower cost.

That doesn't make sense. If Canada doesn't have a sugar subsidy, then its sugar costs would be higher. Did you mean that Canada DOES have a sugar subsidy?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't make sense. If Canada doesn't have a sugar subsidy, then its sugar costs would be higher. Did you mean that Canada DOES have a sugar subsidy?

Canada buys sugar on the open market. Cheaper. The US sugar prices are artificially higher due to subsidies. The same with milk.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to Canada.  Find a Timmy's....  You'll see a line up at the drive through that 37 cars long...  Timmy's has the BEST coffee.  Not that double cinnamon mextrosexual starbucks latte bullshit.  Just honest to goodness kick ass cuppa joe....

The avergae sale for Timmy's is $2 and change because the avergae daily sales for a Timmy's is like two donuts, one bowl of soup and 127,356 cups of coffee...

In addition, the REAL canadian sport is not hockey.  Its sittin at Timmy's with a cuppa coffee, the morning paper, and a donut, and flapping yer gums with all the other old farts....  USA/Dubya bashing is usually hot topic number one...

If ya every had Timmy's coffee, ya know what I'm talking about.  I'm sure they put crack or crank in the coffee...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, but you need to remember that with all the taxes an average Canadian pays, there just isn't a whole lot left to buy things like........food, for example.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Mmmm, I've heard that Canucks are notorious tightwads but they can't be that bad. Being in Southeast MI, you see them at our malls ALL THE TIME. They **love** shopping here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yeah, but you need to remember that with all the taxes an average Canadian pays, there just isn't a whole lot left to buy things like........food, for example.

Taxes- that's an excellent point.

Canadians get ripped off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear they don't tip.  Period.  

I do but it is a direct reflection on service.  It is zero if the service is appalling and 20% if it is outstanding.  Sometimes higher than 20% if some of the drinks don't make it on the tab etc.

I'm not sure if I tip more or less now that I'm in the US.

Also, wages for wait staff are different in Canada so the tip is not as crucial.

Regarding the difference in receipts note that Tim Horton’s is a coffee shop.

Bonus question:  What kind of car was Tim Horton driving when he was killed...no googling.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#13]
hmmmmmmmm  Vette?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
hmmmmmmmm  Vette?

No, not a 'Vette.  Glad to see you taking a crack at it though, Frozenny.  How've you been?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck Canada.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I got a six-pack of Canadians last week for $5.99.  Plus, they don't eat much, but poutine is just nasty.  

I used to stop at a Tim Horton's/Wendy's in Squamish BC a lot when I'd go skiing.

The thing to understand is that Tim Horton's is a doughnut/coffee/soup place and Wendy's is a burger joint.  If you go to the Wendy's side and eat burger, it's about the same, except it costs in Canadian dollars rather than US Dollars, and their ketchup tastes weird.

If you buy a doughnut, a bowl of soup and a coffee at Tim's, it's just naturally going to be substantially cheaper.

So, here's the scoop:

Coca Cola in Canada is far superior to the USA stuff.  I drink coke in Canada.  I don't drink soft drinks in the USA at all.

Canadian ketchup tastes like funky barbecue sauce.

All of this is because they use more sugar in CA than we do in the US.  Maybe because sugar is cheaper there, like the previous posters said.  I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#17]
OK, it was a Pantera for anyone waiting on the answer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Horton's specialty is donuts and coffee.  Wendy's specialty is obviously lunch and dinner.

I wouldn't expect Horton's average check to be as large as Wendy's.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Does it bother Canadians that while we are eating steaks thicker than an average telephone book, that they are forced into a subsistence existence, surviving only on meager rations of Tim Hortons coffee, donuts, and the occasional* celebratory LaBatts?
*drunk only on special occasions, like snow days and during hockey season.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Horton's specialty is donuts and coffee.  Wendy's specialty is obviously lunch and dinner.

I wouldn't expect Horton's average check to be as large as Wendy's.

+1

Look at the price of a McDonald's breakfast meal vs. a McDonald's dinner/lunch meal.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Why the hell would you compare a doughnut shop to a burger joint?

When I go to Wendys I spend 5 bucks +, cause that's the cost of a meal there. Ditto in the states.
A doughnut and coffee costs considerably less, even down in your oh so great USofA.

Most retarded poll, ever.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Coming tomorrow: "Are Canadians touchier than Americans?"

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

When I go to Wendys I spend 5 bucks +, cause that's the cost of a meal there. Ditto in the states.
A doughnut and coffee costs considerably less, even down in your oh so great USofA.

Most retarded poll, ever.

I agree with you. Canada still sucks.

-HS
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#24]
While the Canadians might not subsidize sugar, they do subsidies for timber and steel products.  Our sugar prices are higher in the US likely because of tarrifs and not subsidies.  Subsidies generally lower prices while tarrifs increase prices.  And while tarrifs cost the consumer more at the checkout counter, subsidies cost the taxpayers more whether they use the subsidized product or not.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Canadians are far cheaper than Americans.

For the price of one  American, you can buy 2 Canadians, Sometimes three if you can catch them on sale.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#26]
On a similiar note, Canada may be about to elect a pro-America, conservative leader.  His name is Stephen Harper and he is ahead in the polls right now, thanks in part to a majority of Canadians being displeased with what they see as a growing divide between themselves and the U.S.  

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,182500,00.html

This Harper must be a pretty good guy, that POS Micheal "Slim" Moore was campaigning against him over the weekend.

If Canada elects Harper, then I will be very impressed and pleased with our northern cousins.

No, I have no equation for this tangent.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Coming tomorrow: "Are Canadians touchier than Americans?"

HEY!  Screw you, Merrell!  I am not!

Oh wait, did you mean me?  Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I came on a Canadian girl's face, hair, and tits once... Just though you all would like to know
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I came on a Canadian girl's face, hair, and tits once... Just though you all would like to know

I think I've done that enough that it doesn't seem noteworthy.  But then, I'm Canadian and used to live there.

FWIW I've done it to some American chicks now that I live here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Does it bother Canadians to know we had rather have Mexican illegals than them?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes! Canadian's are so damn cheap they will squeeze a buffalo nickle until it shits! When they butcher pigs they even eat the squeel! CHEAP, I tell ya!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

For fun.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top