Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2001 6:19:24 PM EDT
I see way too much conflicting opinions about this.  I have never dealt with CAI guns, and I want to know if I should bother.  Some say they are just fine, and have great comments.  Other say CAIs are just the biggest waste of $$.  ??
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You've just hit their biggest problem.  Inconsistency!

I've seen the entire spectrum from them...
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, they are crap, and Century Arms is in denial about it.  Don't waste your money.  If you're looking at one of their Garands, go to the Fulton Armory website and read Clint McKee's tech inspection of one.  Very telling.  The FAL's I've seen have been poorly assembled and sloppily refinished.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I know that they have sold some crap in the past, but usually make it right when brought to their attention.  Some of their people can take the best parts available and assemble them into crap.  

I bought a CAI sporterized Swedish M38 once.  They had put on a new stock, added a scope mount and butcherd the barrel.  I sent it right back, before my FFL transfered it to me.  The replacement was beautiful.  This was back in the early 1990's.  

If it wasn't for CAI, pickings of military surplus arms would be slim.

Roll the dice and good luck.

OSA
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a crap shoot.
I currently own 2, and have owned 2 others in the past. Of the 4 CAI's i've had, 1 was a lemon, 2 were average, and the CETME is a gem.

Then again, I know guys who have had 2-3 different CAI's, and had bad luck with all of them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got 2 and another on the way!
Hey after straitening out a Hesse gun these are
great!  You have to want to mess with them and figure out how they work/or don't work. Cheap bases for a new gun. But if you want to have a gun straight out of the box go with something more expensive. I like to tinker and pocket the cash but that's part of the hobby. That's just me, kinda like reloading (it's its own reward).
TF
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]
the reason why you get conflicting answers is because CAI IMPORTS guns and BUILDS guns from imported parts.

the Imported guns like mausers, mosins, SARs, pistols are A-OK

the Built guns like garands, fals etc are CRAP, or are built very wrong, the Headspace is NOTORIOUSLY WRONG. consider these guns as fixer uppers, that WILL need to be inspected by a gunsmith

so if the gun is merely imported and CAI hasnt done anything to it then its a fine gun, if they build it and rebarrel it or stick in US parts then consider it a gun with probable troubles
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I've been lucky according to some.  Every Century gun I've ever owned shot just fine.  I buy shooters not competition guns or collectibles.  If you buy shooters, buy Century.  If you buy the other two, then don't buy Century.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top