Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Why the obsession with others wealth and or material possessions?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I drive a 21 year old Nissan and wear Walmart sneakers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The whole "the poors" thing on Arf has always bugged me a little. I've been here a bit, and feel I've got to "know" lots of folks - prolly the best souls I've ever come across. I doubt few here are truly "poor", and those with less are probably not in poverty because of laziness, which is often strongly inferred. IMO we all do our best, and being rich is life is not about collecting the most material goods.

I've worked hard (when I was a young man ) and have been very blessed in life. However, what I hope is wisdom, and maybe more importantly peace with self and others, is what I consider to have been the greatest wealth I ever had to "earn", and it took time.

This is LOL, but true. Some of the greatest insight I ever got on material wealth was watching a series called "Behind the Music" on VH1 many, many years ago - I think in the 90s. I'm a music nut/wannabe musician dude, and it was moth to the flame. In "Behind the Music", lots of super wealthy musicians would tell their tale of undreamed of success, and how it changed their world. My profound takeaway from all those countless episodes is that extreme material wealth, by itself, will not make you happy for any measurable length, and surprisingly, in many situations it ends up ultimately destroying people.

IMO Americans, by their very definition with all its freedom, can vary wildly in actual material/monetary wealth, with little indication of it visually. Often the visual cues are actually contrary to their actual state. To some, a 20K emergency makes em wanna jump, and to others it's like misplacing $100. And both can easily be (and often are) neighbors.

TL/DR - we're all good souls here, and IMHO you are a fool if you measure your wealth in life by how much stuff you've accumulated. I love you guys (NO HOMO ) and gals, I'm so grateful to have stumbled in here years ago, and thankful and honored to share time with ya. Don't get caught up in thinking about what you feel you might be missing. Life is shorter than you think. Love is the very best drug and wealth.

View Quote

You make some good points, but I think the issue here is that home ownership and a middle class life are quickly falling out of reach for a large segment of Americans, and even Arfcommers.  It's not even about wealth, it's about having ANYTHING of value.  Easy for you to say wealth isn't that important when you already own a home and a car.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#5]
very poor
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You make some good points, but I think the issue here is that home ownership and a middle class life are quickly falling out of reach for a large segment of Americans, and even Arfcommers.  It's not even about wealth, it's about having ANYTHING of value.  Easy for you to say wealth isn't that important when you already own a home and a car.
View Quote
yup.

the game has totally changed in the last 40-50 years but a lot of mericans don't get it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#7]
But are you "High Point poor" ?
Should be added to the poll.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was that little point about working hard when I was a young man....I did it, years and years of actually getting up at 4am, and we would not get home from the city until 10 or 11 every night. Almost killed us, but we were young and strong. Don't be mad bro. Life is short.
View Quote

I wouldn't say I'm mad, but it is certainly frustrating to explain to old people that hard work paid off a lot more in 1950 or 1970 than it does today.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say I'm mad, but it is certainly frustrating to explain to old people that hard work paid off a lot more in 1950 or 1970 than it does today.
View Quote
should've pulled harder on them bootstraps.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#11]

I’m not poor.  I remember feeling poor but I’ve not been poor.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm about to put a frozen pizza in the oven for dinner.

Myself, not the staff chef.

So, yes?
View Quote

Wow. You can afford to buy pizza already made, then frozen and packaged? Must be nice.  What about people who make the dough and grow the tomatoes for sauce? I think they’re poor compared to you and you’re just acting poor.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Oh man. You have supper. Bless your poor heart.  Some won’t have supper tonight.  Your struggle is felt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My single income is nearly double the median household income in my county.

So middle class I guess?
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
should've pulled harder on them bootstraps.
View Quote

Yep.  Thank God older generations gave us the useful advice we need to succeed in life
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So you have at least one MG?
View Quote
Of course,  who doesn't have a machinegun
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm comfortable and lack for nothing I NEED. Sure I have some wants but wants are NOT needs.

I'm pretty happy with that and I'd rather be happy and comfortable then a unhappy and miserable rich asshole.

[being an asshole costs nothing ]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's no lie, too. We lived outside DC when we got married. We'd be out the door by just before 5. Park at her work, I'd walk blocks to mine. We'd get home every night between 10-11, and the only thing open and close by was Wendy's. We'd have just enough time to bathe, and then it started over again. We did that for at least 15 years. Looking back it was nuts. I honestly don't know if many folks put that much effort in these days - but I'm not judging. But I get the feeling the answer is no.
View Quote

If the economy sucked, and 15 years of hard work earned you marginally more than welfare rats, would you still have done it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#21]
epic failure by financial standards!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Absolutely. When we started out and had little, that was and still would be my only plan to get in a better place that we envisioned.

ETA, don't let "the economy" be a reason to not work hard.
View Quote

Why not?  Working hard is only worth it if it enables me to do the things I want to do in life.  The economy puts a price on the things I want to do.  It is a necessary part of the cost/benefit assessment of doing anything.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If the economy sucked, and 15 years of hard work earned you marginally more than welfare rats, would you still have done it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
drinking heavily will help you forget about the reality of being a wage slave in 2022 merica.
View Quote

It apparently doesn’t help with the reality of being self employed.  Got any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I do pretty well. I probably won't quit my job tomorrow, but most of my financial decisions are about what dumb shit to buy or do and not anything more serious.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The whole "the poors" thing on Arf has always bugged me a little. I've been here a bit, and feel I've got to "know" lots of folks - prolly the best souls I've ever come across. I doubt few here are truly "poor", and those with less are probably not in poverty because of laziness, which is often strongly inferred. IMO we all do our best, and being rich is life is not about collecting the most material goods.

I've worked hard (when I was a young man ) and have been very blessed in life. However, what I hope is wisdom, and maybe more importantly peace with self and others, is what I consider to have been the greatest wealth I ever had to "earn", and it took time.

This is LOL, but true. Some of the greatest insight I ever got on material wealth was watching a series called "Behind the Music" on VH1 many, many years ago - I think in the 90s. I'm a music nut/wannabe musician dude, and it was moth to the flame. In "Behind the Music", lots of super wealthy musicians would tell their tale of undreamed of success, and how it changed their world. My profound takeaway from all those countless episodes is that extreme material wealth, by itself, will not make you happy for any measurable length, and surprisingly, in many situations it ends up ultimately destroying people.

IMO Americans, by their very definition with all its freedom, can vary wildly in actual material/monetary wealth, with little indication of it visually. Often the visual cues are actually contrary to their actual state. To some, a 20K emergency makes em wanna jump, and to others it's like misplacing $100. And both can easily be (and often are) neighbors.

TL/DR - we're all good souls here, and IMHO you are a fool if you measure your wealth in life by how much stuff you've accumulated. I love you guys (NO HOMO ) and gals, I'm so grateful to have stumbled in here years ago, and thankful and honored to share time with ya. Don't get caught up in thinking about what you feel you might be missing. Life is shorter than you think. Love is the very best drug and wealth.

View Quote

Solid gold.  All so true.

My wife used to leave Behind the Music running when she was working in the house.  Every single episode I saw even a smidgen of was so damn sad that the success/fame/wealth everyone chased wound up destroying them.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's no lie, too. We lived outside DC when we got married. We'd be out the door by just before 5. Park at her work, I'd walk blocks to mine. We'd get home every night between 10-11, and the only thing open and close by was Wendy's. We'd have just enough time to bathe, and then it started over again. We did that for at least 15 years. Looking back it was nuts. I honestly don't know if many folks put that much effort in these days - but I'm not judging. But I get the feeling the answer is no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t want to start a “walked 10 miles in the snow” competition, and I’m GenX, not a boomer.

But I hear you.  For over 15 years just out of college, I was at work between 4-5 AM and didn’t get home until 11 PM, 6-7 days a week.  Most of the time my wife was either at my side or at least working the same hours on a different task. Thought we were killing ourselves not getting anywhere, but now after 30+ years (I still work a solid 12-14 hours a day, but split between my career and ranching) I see that I am getting close to becoming an overnight success…

What I am the most thankful for:

1) Blessed with an absolutely fantastic and still beautiful wife that shares my values and has always been supportive of me, no matter if I won or lost the day.
    2) Blessed with the good (decent?) health and stamina to have been able to work like this in a physically demanding job for this long and counting.
    3) Blessed with the early competitive drive to jump out young and start my own business with literally not a dollar to my name.  Although if I knew then what I know now, I’m not sure if I would do it again.

I see very few people today truly willing to work like that.  They like to have time off, work/life balance, etc., and enjoy the rewards of their work immediately.  As would I have liked, but if I had done so early on, my situation and trajectory probably wouldn’t have been the same, be that for better or for worse.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#29]
couldn't find STEM jerb

so I started a cartel

pulled myself up by my alligator boots' straps

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes.

Most people thinking they are middle class are just poor who aren't destitute living gov check to gov check with no hope.

This delusion has maybe kept people passive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
drinking heavily will help you forget about the reality of being a wage slave in 2022 merica.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes.

Most people thinking they are middle class are just poor who aren't destitute living gov check to gov check with no hope.

This delusion has maybe kept people passive.
View Quote

100K is the new 50K

motherfucking Honda Canada posted an ad for a mechanical engineering job in the Greater Toronto Area: 85k

that's podliving money in that market
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I am bougee poor. Big ass house, lots of toys, and vacations. I am poor because I chose to be. I like living on the edge. I won't die in an emergency, but pay day is my favorite day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
By arfcom standards I'm practically homeless.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Me, but surrounded by Coors light empties....... Hell you can't be that poor drinking Banquet in the bottle.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Not rich, but zero debt. Decent house and new cars paid off. Have a decent retirement account I moved to cash before the market took a shit. College will be paid with cash or they can take the cash and start a proven business.

Still cringe every time I grocery shop and it’s $200 for two handfuls of bags.

Fuck Biden and his ilk.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

100K is the new 50K

motherfucking Honda Canada posted an ad for a mechanical engineering job in the Greater Toronto Area: 85k

that's podliving money in that market
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
couldn't find STEM jerb

so I started a cartel

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
couldn't find STEM jerb

so I started a cartel

View Quote

I want in on this cartel thing bruh.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
oh, hell.

i'm in as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
oh, hell.

i'm in as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh, hell.

i'm in as well.

we do a lot of charity work
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
*pulls up chair*

go on...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I have to work
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Define poor.
If you..
Have a paid for house.
Paid for car(s), bike(s),boat.
No bills but utilities , insurance and taxes.
Have enough to do what you want to do.
Have enough to handle surprises (oops, need a new roof!)
Don't mind not being able to do or have things you can't afford.
Make less than 10k a year.
Are you poor?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Define poor.
If you..
Have a paid for house.
Paid for car(s), bike(s),boat.
No bills but utilities , insurance and taxes.
Have enough to do what you want to do.
Have enough to handle surprises (oops, need a new roof!)
Don't mind not being able to do or have things you can't afford.
Make less than 10k a year.
Are you poor?
View Quote
poverty is just a state of mind.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#48]
LoL, no. I eat shrimps multiple times per week at the Golden Coral.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh, hell.

i'm in as well.

Will there be an opportunity for embezzlement?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#50]
70 people selected I get a check from the government.  How do you go about having the .gov give you money?   I’d certainly like some.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top