Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2017 4:36:48 PM EDT
Trailer released

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Should have stopped after four in my opinion. I'll still watch it though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Archer Vice II: Officially Out of Ideas

... and back on a network no one gets.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing confidence-inspiring.

Will still watch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually I kinda dig it! 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually I kinda dig it! 
View Quote

You would :) Already set up on my DVR. Archer is the funniest show on TV I don't understand why some of you don't like it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I like it.  Looks promising.  

Best damn show of television.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks better than most the shit on TV.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You would :) Already set up on my DVR. Archer is the funniest show on TV I don't understand why some of you don't like it.
View Quote

Its not that we don't like it, we don't like what it has become, which is a shallow shell of its former self.

Archer seasons 1 - 4 were some of the funniest TV I think I've ever watched... and then the writer just seemed to run out of good ideas / good jokes and started coasting. With each successive season the show coasts more and more and the cast's strained "improv" gets weaker and weaker. Season 7 had to be the worst season of the show I've ever watched, "Archer Vice" included. How it didn't get cancelled then is beyond me. All the actually witty "funny" has been drained out and replaced with wrote callback jokes and a bunch of non-joke failed improv and stalling "wait I had something for this" lines.

It is like watching a once hilarious comedian you love slip into dementia... and all you are left with are shitty adult diapers and drool.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I like archer but this.... eh.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I like Nostalgia so this will be awesome.

Also he's carrying a 1911! I figured the fan boys would be drooling! 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I loved Vice seriously.

One of the funniest moments I think is when Cyril, Archer, Ray were in the back of the FJ in where ever central America and the drivers wrecked and Archer screamed "Ray don't eat the keys" and Ray screamed "I'm not eating the god damned keys". Gets me every time I don't know why.

Plus hot Pam all coked out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I dig it
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Dis gon b gud
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Its not that we don't like it, we don't like what it has become, which is a shallow shell of its former self.

Archer seasons 1 - 4 were some of the funniest TV I think I've ever watched... and then the writer just seemed to run out of good ideas / good jokes and started coasting. With each successive season the show coasts more and more and the cast's strained "improv" gets weaker and weaker. Season 7 had to be the worst season of the show I've ever watched, "Archer Vice" included. How it didn't get cancelled then is beyond me. All the actually witty "funny" has been drained out and replaced with wrote callback jokes and a bunch of non-joke failed improv and stalling "wait I had something for this" lines.

It is like watching a once hilarious comedian you love slip into dementia... and all you are left with are shitty adult diapers and drool.
View Quote

problem is that they evolved the show too quickly, before getting full mileage out of what they already had.  basically, both of the babies were bad ideas that almost immediately stagnated the show.  the wee baby seamus wasn't as great a sin because he was a sideshow, but AJ has to be dealt with in every single episode, and she's a millstone around the writers' necks.  and as i've mentioned in other threads, converting archer from the jackass version of james bond to the jackass version of inspector clouseau also helped kill the show.

but i'll watch every episode until the damn thing is finally canceled.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Love the new era, the show is weaker than the first few seasons but I'll still watch it
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Archers mom trying to explain WIC and then finishing with I don't know I'm not a democrat! I about pissed myself laughing
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]
So given the subtitle "Dreamland," and that we last saw archer floating facedown in a pool, is this some coma-induced hallucination of his, or just a complete redo?

Mike
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I will give it a shot. Compared to Archer Vice, how bad can it be?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

problem is that they evolved the show too quickly, before getting full mileage out of what they already had.  basically, both of the babies were bad ideas that almost immediately stagnated the show.  the wee baby seamus wasn't as great a sin because he was a sideshow, but AJ has to be dealt with in every single episode, and she's a millstone around the writers' necks.  and as i've mentioned in other threads, converting archer from the jackass version of james bond to the jackass version of inspector clouseau also helped kill the show.

View Quote

The babies and Barry. Not that Barry doesn't play a good role, but I think they wrote too much around him (and used him to fuck up other good subplots)
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Archers mom trying to explain WIC and then finishing with I don't know I'm not a democrat! I about pissed myself laughing
View Quote
First time I saw this my first reaction was "Mallory hangs out in GD?"

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I've liked all the season, but I will admit that that some are funnier than others. They could have kept the original format going for longer, but I like the different themes for seasons, although season 7 wasn't really the best.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought it was cancelled?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Archer Vice II: Officially Out of Ideas

... and back on a network no one gets.
View Quote

I have FXX so I'll be setting my DVR.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Last season started just awful but got better.  I am hopeful.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The babies and Barry. Not that Barry doesn't play a good role, but I think they wrote too much around him (and used him to fuck up other good subplots)
View Quote

agreed.  he should have remained a satellite character for a while.  it was like the showrunners had envisioned the entire trajectory of a good show, and tried to cram it all into a couple of seasons instead of just letting it play out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I loved Vice seriously.

One of the funniest moments I think is when Cyril, Archer, Ray were in the back of the FJ in where ever central America and the drivers wrecked and Archer screamed "Ray don't eat the keys" and Ray screamed "I'm not eating the god damned keys". Gets me every time I don't know why.

View Quote

On rewatching vice I really really liked it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#28]
You guys arent getting the joke. This is, like most things Archer, a parody. This time of the "main hero of the show is in a coma flashback episode/season" from such excellent examples of Magnum P.I., House, Sopranos and MacGyver. Holy shitsnacks, this is TV gold you thoughtless bastards.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

agreed.  he should have remained a satellite character for a while.  it was like the showrunners had envisioned the entire trajectory of a good show, and tried to cram it all into a couple of seasons instead of just letting it play out.
View Quote

75% of the cast should have remained satellite characters. The babies were millstones yes, but the illogical need to shoe-horn every single ancillary cast member in every episode has turned them from the occasional quirky, funny addition into repetitious one note retreads.

As for the show itself I doubt it had much of a "plan" beyond the premise. Adam Reed is well known for coming up with white-hot hilarious premises (usually while blackout shitfaced drunk) that burn themselves out very quickly. Then he sobers up, flails at keeping the show going and winds up skewing the whole thing into absurdity, callbacks and cliche (see Sealab, Frisky Dingo, etc.).
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

75% of the cast should have remained satellite characters. The babies were millstones yes, but the illogical need to shoe-horn every single ancillary cast member in every episode has turned them from the occasional quirky, funny addition into repetitious one note retreads.

As for the show itself I doubt it had much of a "plan" beyond the premise. Adam Reed is well known for coming up with white-hot hilarious premises (usually while blackout shitfaced drunk) that burn themselves out very quickly. Then he sobers up, flails at keeping the show going and winds up skewing the whole thing into absurdity, callbacks and cliche (see Sealab, Frisky Dingo, etc.).
View Quote
I bet you are a blast at parties.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Should have stopped after four in my opinion. I'll still watch it though.
View Quote
Amen. Season Four, the show was already wearing thin. Almost everything since has been shite. Last season suuuucked, and this looks even worse.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's correct.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
They used to be pretty good at just dropping characters and storylines.  Anyone seen Baby Seamus (admittedly I haven't seen Season 7 yet). Archer was banging Pam at the end of a season, and then next season?  Nothing.

Sounds like they need more of that.  Send baby to live with grandparents, demote Ray, Kreiger, Pam, and Cheryl/carol/whomever to every other episode status.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#34]
YEESSS!!  

It's gonna' be great!

Of course, I said the same thing about the Walking Dead spin-off the name of which I can't even remember at the moment.

ETA: At least it's got 1911s and Tommy Guns!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So given the subtitle "Dreamland," and that we last saw archer floating facedown in a pool, is this some coma-induced hallucination of his, or just a complete redo?

Mike  
View Quote

Sounds like it's going to be a dream sequence, probably while Archer is recovering form the shooting.   Following season is probably Archer pursues his shooter, possibly while still in his dream persona with hilarity as 1947 Archer tries to function in 2017 world.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Archer was signed for 10 seasons, I thought.

Ah, well. Even if it isn't as good as the first few seasons, it's still amusing enough to watch. Looks like it's a coma-inspired flashback seen through Archer's fucked subconscious.

Season 9 will probably pick up with Archer dead, in a coma, or perfectly fine with no one mentioning how he's still alive/a cyborg.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks great I love that era,
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I give the writers a bit more credit.  I think they know they've basically run out of plot for the main story.  Archer Vice, etc. is basically an acknowledgment of that.  These seasons are almost spin-offs, but they try to keep some continuity.  I give them definite credit for trying, and some of the new episodes are gold.  Figgus as a Warlord due to his Warhammer experience was fucking brilliant.   
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I loved Vice seriously.

View Quote
Pam eating the cocaine was hilarious...Hmmph hmmph hmmph...lol.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I can't believe you guys dissing Archer Vice; between the Smokey and the Bandit episode and the entire San Marcos series that was TV gold.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Man, this.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he writes a great newsletter!  He says the things I'm thinking.  Or trying to think.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Man, this.
View Quote
and yet it didn't start winning emmys until lat year...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I can't believe you guys dissing Archer Vice; between the Smokey and the Bandit episode and the entire San Marcos series that was TV gold.
View Quote

"Treebeard! Take me with you!"
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
But he writes a great newsletter!  He says the things I'm thinking.  Or trying to think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah he is usually right on, that doesn't mean he's not a Debbie downer
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I miss the shit out of cocaine Pam.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Coked out Pam was basically my dream girl.   I like em crazy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Season 5 was awful, and the San Marcos episodes were the season low-point for me. They just wouldn't end.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Okay, I'll give you that - that was funny.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top