BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2013 5:26:43 PM EDT
Tell me about it.  Worth the money?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you're buying and what you're using it for.

I still haven't found a pack that I would trade my Bora 80 for.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with OTTE for a hunting jacket. There are different grades of Arcs, some like the LEAF stuff is good, others are now made in China and I think are over priced. Depends a lot on the fitment and your use. Some of them have alpine cut and fit very slim and tight.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Not anymore.

Shop for the thickest goretex shell you can find for a reasonable price.

I don't know about their other stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Very high end brand, I have a 750 dollar jacket which they completely replaced with a brand new one because the pocket ripped, which was probably my fault as the jacket was 4 years old.

Their customer service is amazing and they will have my business on outerwear forever unless something significantly changes.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd rather be cold and wet than spend $750 on a fucking jacket.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on what you're buying and what you're using it for.

I still haven't found a pack that I would trade my Bora 80 for.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
It's really good gear.
Whether you want to pay for it is another issue. If you're mountaineering or doing something that requires it every day would be the deciding factor for me.

ETA: Not everything they make is sky-high priced, and look for last-years model sales at places like REI.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol.

Especially considering you can keep warm and dry for 1/10 that
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Their Gore-Tex jackets are worth the money.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I went with OTTE for a hunting jacket. There are different grades of Arcs, some like the LEAF stuff is good, others are now made in China and I think are over priced. Depends a lot on the fitment and your use. Some of them have alpine cut and fit very slim and tight.
View Quote

As far as the made in China bit, I am familiar with their setup and reasoning and have no qualms about price or quality.

Arcteryx is worth it if you need Arcteryx level gear.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

It really is good stuff, but holy hell price tag.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Have some stuff I get on sale, and it does rock, then again, I love my TNF, Marmot, and patagonia stuff also.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a name brand whore.  I like their stuff.  I have a couple of jackets and hats.  Nothing too extreme.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have some stuff I get on sale, and it does rock, then again, I love my TNF, Marmot, and patagonia stuff also.
View Quote

It's good stuff, but there are other solid brands out there too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

I expect 10-15 years out of my shell. If I do t get that, they will make it right. It will need to endure ski edges, branches, falls, slides, and general rough treatment. That's why I got mine. There was nothing at 1/4 of the price that could even come close. Much less one tenth.

What I can get for 1/10 would be replaced every year at least and it will. It definitely wouldn't perform as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Love their stuff.. Although, I have only done the LEAF line.

Warm, durable, and dry.  Being outside in the rain, snow, sleet and crap weather sucks.  It sucks even more if you are wet, cold, and miserable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Well thought out designs. Very athletic cuts on a lot of items. If you are a bigger build you better try before you buy. Worth the $$? That is up to you. I have some of their items and they great.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought the Arc Magnum Xtreme line, which comes with the Gulfstream IV and tour of the factory, plus a handjob from the asian seamstress that assembled it.

I think it was money well spent.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I expect 10-15 years out of my shell. If I do t get that, they will make it right. It will need to endure ski edges, branches, falls, slides, and general rough treatment. That's why I got mine. There was nothing at 1/4 of the price that could even come close. Much less one tenth.

What I can get for 1/10 would be replaced every year at least and it will. It definitely wouldn't perform as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

This is my thoughts too.  I'm sure I can get the same warmth and dry factor with what I currently have.  But what I currently have weighs an arm and a leg.  I'm looking to cut down on weight, and increase reliability and longevity at the same time.   I know I can be dry and warm for cheap.  But I'm looking for dry, warm, light, and last forever.  I think Arcteryx is my ticket.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol.

This, not to mention weight which is a huge factor for a lot of outdoor pursuits.  My jacket has seen some shit, aka, me being dragged and sliding on rocks and ice and the goretex pro shell has held up unbelievably well.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Love my Bravo jacket.  Several years old, everyday and training wear, worst damage showing is some pulled threads, little paint off the zipper, and wrinkling in the sleeves.  One-layer solution when active in freezing weather, still comfortable in much warmer weather where you just want a light jacket.  Plenty of pockets.  Athletic cut looks better than most of the puffy shit out there and layers well over and under.  Drawstrings are smartly designed for one-handed manipulation and do a great job of blocking draft.  Sleeves are cut long so it's nice for taller guys and to minimize pulling when when prone or stretching.  Zipper's sturdy.

Expensive?  Comparatively, yeah.  But I like it.  It's functional, it's low-profile - I don't look like some douche blatantly signaling with a 5.11 jacket - and durable.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#22]
<------ Works at an Outdoor Store

Arcteryx is definitely "Boutique," but that's not a bad thing.

First, all of their stuff is made in Canada, and it's pretty much hand made. They don't use mass production, they cut each jacket individually, and each seam and stitch is supervised or done by a person. I think their Alpha SV jacket has something like 80 different people working on it. Someone different in their factory specializes in each different part of the jacket. One person does nothing but cuffs, one person does nothing but shoulders, etc.

That makes their prices a little more understandable, when you realize that each jacket is hand sewn by Canadian elves from Gore-Tex.

The bigger question is "Do you really need Arcteryx?"

If you are going to Everest, the answer is probably yes. If you are bagging 14'ers in Colorado, the answer is maybe. If you're wearing it around town when it rains, save you money, buy something super nice from Marmot or Outdoor Research for a quarter of the price, and spend the rest on ammo.

Or, buy Mammut, because that's what the really cool outdoors people wear
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Not in this lifetime.

$300 for a pair of pants?
$50.00 for a ballcap?
$400.00 for hiking boots?

Not just no...but FUCK NO.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#24]
It was worth it when it was made in Canada. It was some of the best ( if not the best) and most innovative climbing and mountaineering gear and apparel made.

Materials, design and features, construction quality, fit, weight, performance were all superb.

I have a Borea ski mountaineering pack I'll never get rid of and I haven't and don't expect to find anything better.

I have a goretex bib that I've used enough patch kits on to make a small tent. Well, maybe not that many but that bib is awesome and it has been used a lot.  I have several other items from back when they were independent and they're great too but those two are my favorites.

After they got bought by the Salomon parent company they became just another high price decent brand.  They are  riding the reputation established by the years making the best stuff.

I'd be no more inclined to get Arc'Teryx stuff than Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, or the REI store band anymore.

I think they're just selling the logo now. I haven't seen anything innovative from them in years.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I got one of their hard fleece jackets on sale at REI a few years ago. 130-150 bucks something like that. Anyway it is seriously the best light jacket i have ever owned! I love wearing it when I CCW, conceals everything like a dream. Other than a few small stains the thing looks brand new and i have not been nice to this thing. I wear it to work every once in a while and it is holding up amazingly. I don't know about their high end stuff, I am not willing to drop that kind of coin on a jacket. 200-300 bucks is about my limit

ETA: looking at there website i believe i own the epsilon jacket.... maybe...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I like their stuff, but I don't have much use for their jackets and shells in south Louisiana.  I can where them for about two days a year unless I go on vacation.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

First, all of their stuff is made in Canada, and it's pretty much hand made. They don't use mass production, they cut each jacket individually, and each seam and stitch is supervised or done by a person. I think their Alpha SV jacket has something like 80 different people working on it. Someone different in their factory specializes in each different part of the jacket. One person does nothing but cuffs, one person does nothing but shoulders, etc.

That makes their prices a little more understandable, when you realize that each jacket is hand sewn by Canadian elves from Gore-Tex.

If you are going to Everest, the answer is probably yes. If you are bagging 14'ers in Colorado, the answer is maybe. If you're wearing it around town when it rains, save you money, buy something super nice from Marmot or Outdoor Research for a quarter of the price, and spend the rest on ammo.

View Quote

Not all.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Planning on climbing or trekking through rough terrain? Yes

Planning on wearing on a daily basis because its warm and tough? Eh.....you can find cheaper

As an Arc'teryx fan boy, I'd say get what you want. It's tough, durable, and their pants are teh secks

ETA: Mountain Hardware is an awesome brand
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

My first shell lasted about 5 years, the second, about 1.5 years.  REI replaced them when they went beat.  On my third $600 shell, we'll see how long it lasts.  REI won't replace this one and I'll buy some other brand next time.  The shell pants I bought with the first one are still going strong.

I have to work in the rain a lot, I use it for rain gear.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Or, buy Mammut, because that's what the really cool outdoors people wear this week
View Quote

Fixed.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Glad this thread is here. I want to do kilamanjaro and have been looking for the perfect water/wind proof shell that will keep me warm. Any suggestions that aren't the overpriced Arcteryx?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Glad this thread is here. I want to do kilamanjaro and have been looking for the perfect water/wind proof shell that will keep me warm. Any suggestions that aren't the overpriced Arcteryx?
View Quote

It's only overpriced if you're not willing to pay for it. Try Mountain Hardware or Outdoor Research.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all.

What's made in China? (This is the first I've heard of this, and I want to steer people away from the Chicom crap. They can buy North Face if they want that....)
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Buy
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What's made in China? (This is the first I've heard of this, and I want to steer people away from the Chicom crap. They can buy North Face if they want that....)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all.

This is all it says on their website. Short of going to a store and looking at tags on individual products, I can't tell you which products are made where:

Where We Manufacture

Our commitment to building the best product means sourcing premium materials globally, pioneering new designs and manufacturing techniques, and enforcing the highest standards of quality.

"Currently, Arc'teryx products are also manufactured in nine other countries besides Canada: USA, China, El Salvador, Italy, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, Bangladesh and Vietnam. In all of these countries, including Canada and the United States, it is very possible to manufacture very high or very low quality product. Arc'teryx chooses the highest standards in all of our manufacturing locations, and helps train skilled and motivated workers to maintain the highest possible quality levels."
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I have the Hylux Hoodie and have used it for years, it's incredibly warm and robust as hell.

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Mid_Layer&model=Hyllus-Hoody

I also have a Alpha SL jacket for snowboarding and it's also great.

It's expensive stuff but for layers that you use a lot it's not going to wear out soon and it's going to be replaced if it has any defect.

I suggest looking for things on sale when seasons change in the bigger outdoor stores that carry it. Otherwise ask ski instructor friends to apply to be a pro and you can both buy stuff at 40% off :)

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tell me about it.  Worth the money?
View Quote

Like others have said, it depends on your use. Are you getting it to stroll out to your car and then go into town? Then no. If you're an avid hiker, camper, you get the picture, then yes. That being said I quite enjoy my Outdoor Research gloves and gear as well as Mystery Ranch packs, but then it's issue and I'm not paying for it. I have $1500 worth of gloves issued and the packs from Mystery Ranch are $700 a piece. I didn't pay for it though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Planning on climbing or trekking through rough terrain? Yes

Planning on wearing on a daily basis because its warm and tough? Eh.....you can find cheaper

As an Arc'teryx fan boy, I'd say get what you want. It's tough, durable, and their pants are teh secks

ETA: Mountain Hardware is an awesome brand
View Quote

Wearing a pair now, absolutely love them.  Picked them at backcountry, half off.  Need more.  Best traveling, work, trekking outdoors pants around.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have not seen this brand popular on any Himalayan expeditions as its mostly just shells which might suit ice climbing but would suck for standing on a hill behind a group of 50 people going up a rope line..

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Good stuff. It think you can do equally well for less $$.

I like Mountain Hardwear, North Face and Mammut as well. For me the guarantee means a LOT.

I have never had a problem getting North Face gear serviced. I recently took my North Face Ibex bag on a Mt. Rainier climb. I've had the bag since 1977. It's got patches and the down is still at factory loft because they have kept it to that spec. It performed flawlessly.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a very nice North Face that works well in weather colder than you will ever see.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Outdoor Research Foray

Marmot Ascention

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#43]
MEC also has some decent shells.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It's only overpriced if you're not willing to pay for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's only overpriced if you're not willing to pay for it.

All the best shit I have is pricy.  That doesn't mean all the pricy shit I have is the best.  Yes, sometimes hype is at work, sometimes it's just markup.  But it's often justified.

Non-Arc example.  I love hunting.  I hunt north.  It gets very, very cold.  I suffered for several years cobbling together cheaper stuff.  Then I dropped like $600 on a well-fitted, well-made, Cabela's parka and bib.  Most expensive set they make, and I paid the extra to get them in large-long so they'd cover my limbs without the excess puff I get out of XLs.  Hard to draw a bow when your sleeves puff out 10 inches.  They've held up several years of climbing, brambles, dragging, and excessive washing (because I secretly think I can beat animals' noses even though I know I'm at best giving myself a small edge in a crosswind). Regardless, they've enabled me to stay in the stand a hell of a lot longer in ungodly cold weather.

Is there another way to do it?  Maybe.  But is spending an extra $200-300, as a one-time cost that will hopefully last me over a decade of hunting, well worth a solution that I have yet to beat any other way?  Definitely.

Sometimes you get it wrong buying expensive.  But if you've struggled to find "right," it's worth a premium when you find it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless of course you actually get outside and trust your life to the gear you buy.
Do you even mountaineer bro?

That being said I mostly use Marmot gear because it seems to fit me better.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only someone that's never been cold and wet for any length of time would say that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Unless of course you actually get outside and trust your life to the gear you buy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a marmot softshell but wish it was cut a little bit roomier for more insulating layers. I have a couple of fleece hoodies that just won't comfortably fit underneath it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#48]
My former employer bought us all Atom LT jackets . . . it is hands down the best jacket I own and is also the lightest.  I wear it down to 30* with usually just a long-sleeve t.  Anything under that and I switch to my carhartt.

Buying one for the wife this year for christmas.  She wears mine a lot because she's cold natured
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'd be willing to bet you have never really been very wet and
cold for an extended period of time.

A couple of the guys that went on an Alaska expedition with me this summer sure wish they had spent the money I did when i bought mine. They were wet and cold for a couple of days straight. I was dry and warm. I had a great time. They hated every second until it quit raining, things dried out and warmed up a bit. I love my Alpha AT and Beta AR set up. I think it's worth every penny you spend on it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Only someone that's never been cold and wet for any length of time would say that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked on a fishing   boat ...in the bering sea ...in winter.

I work every day outside in the rain in the pnw.

I would never spend 750 $ on a jacket.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top