Posted: 10/30/2004 5:47:20 AM EDT

'Dead' in Iraq -- alive in Flint
Burton woman suspects lost license mixup
BURTON
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Saturday, October 30, 2004
By Ron Fonger
[email protected] • 810.766.6317
BURTON - When Dawn M. Perryman woke up Friday, she found out she was supposed to be dead - at least according to an Islamic Web site claiming to detail clashes between Americans and insurgents in Iraq.

Truth was, Perryman woke up in her own Atherton Road home, the victim not of an attack, but of having let an old driver's license slip into the wrong hands.

The Arabic-language Web site featured a photograph of Perryman's license as evidence of her capture about three weeks ago. The license had her maiden name - Stone - and her birth date and an address on Ossington Avenue in south Flint where she previously lived.

A translation from the Web site - AnsarNet, which cannot be accessed without a password - claims "the insurgency took 17 Marines captive in two different attacks on Thursday and killed an American officer and a British officer, both women."

It goes on to identify "a 43-year-old American officer" and apologizes for showing a photo of a woman but says it "had to do it for credibility purposes." The photo shown is from Perryman's old license and identifies her as Dawn Marie Stone of Flint.

There was no way to judge the accuracy of any other information from the site. The information about Perryman on AnsarNet came from another site, Islamic Memo, according to The Associated Press.

"I'm here. I'm OK," said Perryman, 43, a Burton resident who attended the old Carman High School and who has never been to Iraq. "That's very bizarre. ... I'm kind of in shock thinking about how my stuff got over there."

Perryman actually has a hunch.

She dated a man from Kuwait off and on for about 10 years before she married her husband, Henry, in 1988, but said she doesn't suspect the man of supporting anti-U.S. forces.

The man was a soldier in the Kuwaiti Air Force, Perryman said. The two met while she lived in Texas and he was training at Lackland Air Force Base there.

Perryman said she doesn't remember her driver's license coming up missing during the time she lived at Ossington Avenue.

"Kuwait got invaded, so who knows what happened over there. ... How my driver's license got over there, I don't know," said Perryman, who hasn't had contact with the man for more than 10 years.

Perryman said the experience of being called by reporters and having been pushed into the spotlight Friday was unsettling. Hearing that others claimed she was dead was creepy, she said.

"Somebody stealing my identify - that's kind of scary," she said. "I'd like to know what's behind it."

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah, so how did this d.l. get to the mideast?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#3]
We would do better to nuke Detroit instead of Mecca - we'd get many more terrorists.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top