Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 10:52:19 AM EDT
My 2 year old drank some this morning. Anything to worry about with parasites, etc?

Any good preventative action I can take? (other than putting a locking top on the tank, or getting an electric eel)

The tank is "freshwater" with a Koi, catfish, and a snail in it.  MMMMmmmmmm Yummy!

This question is for our medical, survival, and aquarium community members, not the wise ass community members.  I can already think of plenty of witty comments all by myself.

I'll post the outcome.  Possible new SHTF water source!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#1]
It should be fine (I just my fiancee who's an aquarium expert).

She says anything that would hurt your kid woudl have killed the fish long ago.  She did wonder what kind of chemicals you use, and what kind of filtration.  The more natural a nitrogen cycle you have, the less harmful.

Regardless of what you use, however, she doesn't think it'll be any kind of problem, but if you do put a lot of chemicals in the water, check the label.

Just explain to your kid that he's driking the water that the fish go pee-pee and poo-poo in - that'll make him stop!  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]
don't sweat it. kids eat worse things in dirt. Unless he comes down with severe diarrhea or stomach cramps i wouldn't worry about it. A little fish pee never killed anybody.

mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Shouldn't do any harm whatsoever. If you're a little concerned, though, just have her drink more ordinary water for the next day or so than usual.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Fish peepee really isn't that bad.  It'll pass right through and not cause any harm.  What I'd be concerned about is all the fish sweat.  That stuff is nasty!  Those li'l suckers sweat like pigs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fish peepee really isn't that bad.
View Quote

Oh yeah? Check [url=http://www.ebaumsworld.com/seawater.html]THIS[/url] out!

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Why did I look at that picture?

Now I have to go buy a new gun, sports car and big truck!   [;)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Just get a lion fish.

[img]http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/good-bad/images/lionfish.jpg[/img]

[B)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

[shock]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Why did I look at that picture?

Now I have to go buy a new gun, sports car and big truck!   [;)]
View Quote

That's one whale of a pecker.  [lol]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
There are parasites that live in all the animals in your tank. The snail would most likely be the greatest risk.

A lot depends on your tank , how clean it was and the type of filtration system.

Check his stool if its fine I wouldnt worry. If he ingested enough to give him the runs I might give the doc a call.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I've accidentally done it while siphoning water.  No problems.  Of course that wasn't more than a tiny bit.  I suppose drinking a lot may give you diarhea!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
That's an internal organ of a whale shark, not a peepee [:)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's an internal organ of a whale shark, not a peepee [:)]
View Quote

How the hell do you know?[:X*]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure --- nitrates and children not a good mix.

[url]http://yosemite.epa.gov/ochp/ochpweb.nsf/content/drinking_water_contam.htm[/url] Relax though the small amount is "most likely" harmless.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#15]
It is pretty obvious that that fish in the picture is a whale shark, and since when do fish have penises?!?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is pretty obvious that that fish in the picture is a whale shark, and since when do fish have penises?!?
View Quote

I posted that as a joke, but since you asked, I found this.

How big is a blue whale's penis/testicles?

In an adult male, the penis is about 5 m long (16 ft) and the testicules weight about 10 kg
(22 pounds).
View Quote

Granted, they are internal.

Edited because the link dosen't work.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]
That's all fine and dandy, granted Blue Whales are pretty big and all, but a Shark is a fish, and a Whale is a mammal.  That pictured Whale Shark is not very likely to have any penis.  Very little is known about Whale Sharks mating rituals, except that apparently it does happen.

22# nuts?!?  Seems awfully small to produce 400 gallons of jizz!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Tank water works great for fertilizing plants.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I notice something! Notice how reguardless of species all male penis' kind of look the same?[:o] they all look like little mushrooms? [:o] donkey dick, monkey dick, lion dick, SPIDER DICK, it's all good baby!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#20]
oppss forgot to mention the water! yeah my cats drink it all on a reguler basis, they just love those fish! just remember if it can't kill the fish it can't kill you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#21]
While aquarium water may not kill you it's not safe to drink and a 2 yr old with a bad case of diarrhea may end up in the hospital at the very least. I wouldn't freak out but I'd keep an eye on him for a few days.

Enteric Pathogens:
Disease-causing organisms: Salmonella spp., a bacterial agent is the most relevant zoonotic disease; Cryptosporidium spp., a protozoan; in addition, agents including bacteria, protozoa, and parasites that are common denizens of pond or aquarium water.
• Source: The infected animal who may not show signs of disease. In addition, aquarium or pond water where the animal is housed.
• Transmission: Fecal/oral
• Disease in humans: The common presentation associated with these pathogens is diarrhea.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#22]
probably a bit better than average pond water.
I got a mouthful once (only swallowed a little of it) when getting the syphon going to clean it (first time I had done it and I sucked water up the hose to get it started instead of just submerging the whole hose to get it full of water to get it started)
tasted bad but I didn't get sick or anything, but I was a teenager and not a 2 year old so I don't know if that will cause any differences
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Anybody consider fish POOOOOP!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just get a lion fish.

[url]http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/good-bad/images/lionfish.jpg[/url]

[B)]
View Quote
I had a specimen of almost every Lionfish known! They are great fish , as I planto start my 150 Gallon Salt tank I will get them again. The Fu Manchu lion is cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top