Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2005 8:54:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 8:54:56 PM EDT by Red_Beard]

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13411878,00.html

APPLE'S IPOD PATENT GAFFE
Computer firm Apple may have to pay Microsoft £6 for each iPod it sells after a huge licensing lapse.

Lawyers at Bill Gates' firm filed a patent for technology behind the hugely successful digital music player two months before Apple.

The US Patent Office has ruled that Microsoft has the right to charge competitors a licence fee for each iPod sold.

Furious, Apple has said it will appeal the decision but at the moment it looks as though the firm will be paying a high price for the success of its product.

The iPod was launched in November 2001 but Apple waited until July 2002 to file for a patent; Microsoft snuck in to license some of the technology the previous May.

David Kaefer, Microsoft's director of intellectual property licensing, said it was open to letting other firms patent its innovations.

He said: "In general, our policy is to allow others to license our patents so they can use our innovative methods in their products.

"Microsoft and Apple have previously licensed their respective patent portfolios to one another and we maintain a good working relationship with Apple."

The dispute comes days after Microsoft declared war on the iPod and pledged to come up with a series of rivals.

So far, 21 million iPods have been sold worldwide, 18 million in the last year alone.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:58:41 PM EDT

The Apple Cultists are gonna implode.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:59:38 PM EDT
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:59:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 9:01:35 PM EDT by MachinegunManiac]
Microsoft is being a license steraling scumbag? What else is new?

Poor decision-making on Apple's part is another reason why Apple can't compete with Microsoft.

Selling a product without a pantent, morons.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:00:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 9:12:55 PM EDT by Max_Mike]
OUCH…

Kinda like putting $100 $200 million (US) in a pile and burning it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:01:33 PM EDT
Why innovate when you can steal?

Microsoft will get theirs someday.

Its a shame it has to be that way, as they really did some great things for the market and for computing in general. However, it is obvious that they have gotten to be more trouble than they are worth at this point.

Enjoy your UPNP exploits and Zbot virii.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 9:18:50 PM EDT by Max_Mike]

Originally Posted By CeramicGod:

Its a shame it has to be that way, as they really did some great things for the market and for computing in general. However, it is obvious that they have gotten to be more trouble than they are worth at this point.

Oh PLeaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Like the whole Apple company was not based on stealing from other companies.

ETA: And it ain’t sealing if you own the patent.... And the iPod was designed outside Apple to begin with, which makes this a doubly stupid mistake on Apple’s parts. When you buy something from the outside make sure you really own it
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:06:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:06:37 PM EDT
w000t go MicroSoft!!1!

Seriously, I love Microsoft. I have been on their side ever since those bullshit anti-trust suits. They went something like this...

Douchebags "Hey, evil Micro$oft, you can't include a "free" internet browser with your operationg system...thats unfair!11!"

Microsoft "Uh dude, the guys that made my alarm clock slapped a radio in that mother fucker and the radio making companies weren't allowed to sue."

Douchebags "OMFG Micro$oft is teh hax0000r!11!!!11 Che@t555!1!!"
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:09:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By natedogg42:
w000t go MicroSoft!!1!

Seriously, I love Microsoft. I have been on their side ever since those bullshit anti-trust suits. They went something like this...

Douchebags "Hey, evil Micro$oft, you can't include a "free" internet browser with your operationg system...thats unfair!11!"

Microsoft "Uh dude, the guys that made my alarm clock slapped a radio in that mother fucker and the radio making companies weren't allowed to sue."

I'm sure it didn't quite go like that. Especially the "dude".
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:12:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MachinegunManiac:

w000t go MicroSoft!!1!

I'm sure it didn't quite go like that. Especially the "dude".

Well, thats not how it all ended but that is my ideal microsoft response...and in a sane society it would be perfectly fine to do that...

Who made the rule that technology or anything for that matter can't be combined to make it more useful...if the anti-microsoft 'tards had their way with that argument we may all have to resort to using only simple machines. I hope you enjoy your "inclined plane", "screw", "pulley", etc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:13:15 PM EDT
Apple failed to patent the iPod?

They deserve to get reamed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:18:11 PM EDT
Let me get this straight - Apple came out with the IPOD in 2001...but didnt patent it for a year. So I could have, in late 2001, filed a patent for it and Apple would be paying me 6 pounds for every IPOD?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:18:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 9:19:38 PM EDT by mobius]
[

it's APPLES own stupidity...........they didn't patent that thing within the month. what kind of idiots they got over there?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:23:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mobius:
[

it's APPLES own stupidity...........they didn't patent that thing within the month. what kind of idiots they got over there?

The little secret on the iPod is Apple bought the thing from a former employee it was not created in house… so they screwed up twice, they bought something that the owner obviously had not protected and then did not bother to protect it themselves.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:32:58 PM EDT
MS also owns a ton of apple stock, at least they did and I assume they still do
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:34:56 PM EDT
This will result in nothing. Read more on the patent application.

Link

Even though the patent may be awarded, I find it highly unlikely that damages would.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:38:41 PM EDT
Brought to you by Apple... the folks who stole all their shit from Xerox but figure we won't care if they distract us by portraying Bill Gates as the Anti-Christ.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:44:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sharky30:

This is true.. and AAPL has been one of my best performers.

btw- Why do so many here hate apple? I've always used multiple OS and hardware, and like and dislike them the same way I view an AR or and AK... I understand the stereotype of "apple=liberal", but after using one I have to disagree.

To suffice:

Hate liberals...

Like the mac.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:45:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By otto-nyc:

btw- Why do so many here hate apple? I've always used multiple OS and hardware, and like and dislike them the same way I view an AR or and AK... I understand the stereotype of "apple=liberal", but after using one I have to disagree.

To suffice:

Hate liberals...

Like the mac.

I dont really hate apple. I just find the fanatical devotion their cult members have to be comical.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:55:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MachinegunManiac:
Microsoft is being a license steraling scumbag? What else is new?

Poor decision-making on Apple's part is another reason why Apple can't compete with Microsoft.

Selling a product without a pantent, morons.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:56:09 PM EDT

until then hookers and blow for all stockholders
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:59:28 PM EDT
so which is worse?
apple kool-aid
colt kool-aid
HK kool-aid
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:02:50 PM EDT

That's funny. I used to work for the company that Apple stole their orignal operating system from (Xerox)

You hate Microsoft, but apparently you forget when Apple stole the GUI operating system from Xerox and than sued Xerox when they continued to use their own OS that Apple stole from.

Hypocrite.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:11:49 PM EDT
18 million in the last year? That's a lotta KoolAid.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:20:26 PM EDT

w000t go MicroSoft!!1!

hahah... nice!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:23:37 PM EDT

To suffice:

Hate liberals...

Like the mac.

BIG +1, posting on a Mac right now. Indeed, I have used Macs my entire life, since I was a small child in the late 1980's. We had Windows at school, I can use Windows, yes, but I'm used to needing 2 men and a boy to help me fix Windows when something goes wrong, while if something goes wrong with my Mac, I can fix it myself. I'm not an apple cultist, but Macs work, while Windows requires more tech support to keep it working. Macs cost more, though, but you do get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:45:07 AM EDT
I remember when Bill Gates invested $100million in Apple some years ago.

At the annual Apple convention, Steven Jobs stood on the stage with a huge projection screen behind him. He spoke about the company's future and how one particular person was taking an active hand in Apple.

Then, on cue, Bill Gates popped up on the giant screen, live from Redmond.
You could hear a pin drop. And then, gasps and sobbing from the crowd.

Beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:53:57 AM EDT
How can you patent something that you didn't create? I don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:01:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:

To suffice:

Hate liberals...

Like the mac.

I dont really hate apple. I just find the fanatical devotion their cult members have to be comical.

I find the rabid Mac-bashers to be even more comical.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:01:55 AM EDT
This is one reason why I'll be buying a Creative Zen instead of an iPod. The other reason is that it's just friggin' better in every single way.

I don't really have anything against Microsoft, I just hate their fucking guts for Palladium/TCPA and for releasing bug-filled operating systems before they've finished developing, then releasing patches that introduce more bugs.

Of course I use Windows. Goddamn game companies made sure of that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:03:33 AM EDT
Why do so many people have it in for Apple? I will never understand the mentality that we must all use the same computer and think/work the same way. I have heard PC people say that Macs were:

* Too easy
* Too complex
* Too fruity
* Can't game on them
* They just suck for no reason- perhaps they were beaten with a single button mouse as a child?

ALL of which are not true or have very common sense reasons behind them. All on this very forum.

I'd never say that you should only use an AR or FAL ONLY and if you use a mini-14 you're an idiot. Why would you say that I have to use the same computer?

As to this iPod thing... Meh. Great product from a great company. How Microshaft could patent some user interface stuff (what this is all about) I don't know- the interface is as close to the Mac computer interface as is possible IMO.

Longtime industry analyst, Roger Kay said that even if Microsoft were to win a patent challenge from Apple, the chances of it having any significant effect on Apple’s future business are slim.

Source
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:04:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rcoers:
How can you patent something that you didn't create? I don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Be the first one to the patent office with the paperwork. Happens all the time. People have tried to patent the wheel, the lever, the fulcrum, you name it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:05:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 6:08:50 AM EDT by pv74]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:09:09 AM EDT

w000t go MicroSoft!!1!

??? Have you done any reading about those lawsuits? They had nothing to do with the Mac and everything to do with muscling the competition (the then- favorite Netscape browser) out of the way using their industry-dominating operating system to do it. That's called a stranglehold my friend, and isn't the fairest way to go about things.

It didn't help that Exploder's first bundled version suuuuuuuuucked and Netscape had quite a head start on them...

Of course you're going to come back at me with some "Aww, it wasn't fair..." stuff and then I'll say "would you like choices in life or would you prefer to go to Macdonalds for all your restaurant needs and WalMart for everything else?" and then you'll accuse me of a strawman argument and this will go a minimum of 8 pages before getting a sweet, merciful lock.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:13:06 AM EDT

This will result in nothing. Read more on the patent application.

Link

Even though the patent may be awarded, I find it highly unlikely that damages would.

Agreed.

Microsoft ran to get a patent on something that was already out on the market being sold.

Microsoft makes more money by lawyering and generally being a bureaucratic PITA than by actually producing or selling product.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:32:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:37:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By threefiftynone:
Sitting here on a 98SE box, I gotta say "Fuck Microsoft". They cost me about 6 hours of free time over my weekend.

I decided to go to Windoze Update for the first time in months, and had 4 "Updates" to download. I deselected the one for my cable modem that I knew would fuxxor up the program. Guess what? It DL'ed the "Update" even though I deselected it. Apparently it was imbedded in one of the other "Updates". System Fuxxored.... Format C:

I thought for sure I screwed up, so after I loaded Windoze, and a few other bare bones utilities, I went back to "Windoze Updates". It showed like 40 "Critical Updates" that I needed. The DL for the cable modem was one of them, so I just closed out and didn't DL any of em.

Next time I have a problem with this box, it's getting a few boxes of punkinballs, then about 5 pounds of homemade binary explosive, and a maniacal chuckle. On my way home from the range, I'll stop at the local custom shop and order another build to get pissed off at for the next 6 years.

I dont bother with the updates anymore...screws too many things up...

If it works...fuck it..just leave it
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:58:45 AM EDT
Remind me again why the .gov and hackers are always going after MS...

Oh yeah...its shit like this.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:31:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:48:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SNorman:

w000t go MicroSoft!!1!

hahah... nice!

3733t hax!!!11!1!11oneoneoneelevenevenexclamation
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:54:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 7:54:58 AM EDT by CeramicGod]

Originally Posted By guardian855:

That's funny. I used to work for the company that Apple stole their orignal operating system from (Xerox)

You hate Microsoft, but apparently you forget when Apple stole the GUI operating system from Xerox and than sued Xerox when they continued to use their own OS that Apple stole from.

Hypocrite.

No, I certainly do remember that. However, it also was something that Xerox failed to see the market potential of, which is a different thing than actually marketing and succeeding with a product only to have someon e patent it from under you.

Xerox was really strange in that way, they had a very creative think tank that generated some fantastic things and then just....sorta ignored 'em.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:57:05 AM EDT
I have never owned a Non Apple computer, and I have to say that it is pretty nice to not have to worry about spyware, virii, worms, remot-hijacking, and the otherstuff that Windows users have to worry about.

I read the thread about the latest attack, the Zobor.exe or what ever it was, and just laughed because it doesn't matter to me, and I can look at all the 'questionable' sites and not worry if someone is planting something on my computer....

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:06:34 AM EDT

w000t go MicroSoft!!1!

Actually went like this.

Douchbags: Hey you make too much money and you own the OS world, we're going to sue you.

Microsoft: WTF you talking about dude? We might have the most widely used OS and other products but over 50% are illegal copies we made 0 dollars on.

Douchbags: So, who cares not our deal. You still have too many products out there. That will be XX billion dollars

Microsoft: OK dicks, now you forced us to make all of our customers register and activate their software so we can try to reclaim profits that we don't have and are still getting sued on.

Douchbags: Next microsoft case please.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:25:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:27:48 AM EDT
The .gov should seize Microsoft and assets to subsidy our social security epidemic! Do it for the baby boomers!

Then we can form the BMRP (Bureau of Microsoft Related Products) under the justice department with billions in funding. But the best part is that the BMRP will use its resources and e-JBT's to harass the everyday user with effectiveless red tape instead of going after the virus/spyware devolopers.

That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:59:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:06:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By threefiftynone:

Originally Posted By StarAtari:
The .gov should seize Microsoft and assets to subsidy our social security epidemic! Do it for the baby boomers!

Then we can form the BMRP (Bureau of Microsoft Related Products) under the justice department with billions in funding. But the best part is that the BMRP will use its resources and e-JBT's to harass the everyday user with effectiveless red tape instead of going after the virus/spyware devolopers.

That would be awesome.

Brilliant! I elect you as the King of The Free World!

Or something like that.

You don't vote for a king.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:13:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:25:39 AM EDT

I used to be 100% Apple.

I like macs, but now, in many ways, I am a reluctant Apple user.

I have always been around macs and can network, trouble shoot etc etc MUCH better than the MS stuff.

Mac works for me, but I actually hate both Apple and MS.

Heck, I think Steve Jobs is Bill Gates clone. Not sure which one it the evil clone. Both?

Any company that would put Algore on the board?????????

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:28:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rcoers:

Companies do it all the time. The inventor is never a company, it is always a real person. The company owns the invention because of papers you sign when you join. They spend all the money for lawyers to get the patent approved and then they own the license. During the patent application process you sign a document that says you surrender ownership of the invention to the company for $1. (BTW, they never actually give you the dollar). Same rules can apply for an inventor outside the company. Although an outside inventor might hold out for more than $1.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top