Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2002 4:26:43 PM EDT
I was watching it the other day (really good movie, BTW), and I kept noticing that all the M16s and M16A1s had grey 30 round magazines. I was under the impression that there were very few 30 round magazines up until well after Vietnam. I thought that they only had the 20 rounders.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The easy answer is that the Phillipine Army had lots of 30rd mags when they were filming there in 197?.  Ever notice how all the troops have Universal small arms pouches and 30rd mags? I have to say that I love the Redux.  More Helo Mounted Loudspeaker action.  Anytime I ever flew in a helo any PSYOP related mission, the 2 questions I always got were 1.  Did you bring the ALS and 2. Do you have "Ride" on tape.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, AN was set after the Tet Offensive, so they would have been available.
View Quote

Specifically, it was set in either very late '69 or early '70. Chef was reading about Charles Manson's arrest (December 1969) and they were not supposed to be in Cambodia (U.S. Forces invaded in April 1970).

I don't care what anyone says, it's a good flick.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The easy answer is that the Phillipine Army had lots of 30rd mags when they were filming there in 197?.
View Quote

1975 to 1978. Harvey Keitel was actually the first Captain Willard, but was canned after the first week or two of filming.

Look for Lee Ermey as a helo pilot in the village assault scene (DON'T BLINK!!!).
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent movie... My wife bought me the new version... She can't stand my movies:

Blackhawk Down
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Forest Gump
Hamburger Hill
Heartbreak Ridge
Sniper
Navy Seals
Green Berets
Saving Private Ryan
Tora Tora Tora
etc...

She knows she will have to ignore what I'm watching if she wants to come snuggle up... I can't get enough of military movies...

Any other favorites?
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Look for Lee Ermey as a helo pilot in the village assault scene (DON'T BLINK!!!).
View Quote

I KNEW it.

I even checked the credits once, and couldn't find his name. Damn, I knew it had to be him.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I KNEW it.

I even checked the credits once, and couldn't find his name. Damn, I knew it had to be him.
View Quote

I read somewhere that he was in film/acting school in the PI.
And got the part as an extra.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the information. I thought that they did have some, it's just that every single M16 in the movie had a 30-rounder in it.

Really good movie, though. Kinda weird towards the end, and the very first, but really good none the less.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I though the new one was a bit long, loved the part where they steal the board though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
The movie made no serious attempt at equipment accuracy.  Its still a great flick.  I just like the mood of it.  I liked the original better than the directors cut they released.  I think the new version slowed down what was already somewhat of a slow movie.  It's still a classic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top