Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 1/6/2012 11:35:08 AM EDT
The oven no longer heats up when I set it on 'bake'

Worked fine yesterday. I wiped done the control panel, and afterwards it wouldn't start.
I thought perhaps I messed up the setting when I wiped it down- but it seems that the top element still works.

I'll call customer service and see if they can help. but you guys know everything under the sun, so i expect you'd have an answer before CS answers the phone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:36:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 11:42:33 AM EDT by klinc]
I think you can Ohm it out with a meter to test. Not for sure of the numbers your looking for though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:41:37 AM EDT
I've had the potentiometer,( heat control, off/on/volume knob), go bad before. Should be able to get one online. Simple to replace.

BTW, your username is ironic
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:49:48 AM EDT
Ohmmeter. Check the element, first terminal to terminal, then terminal to the outside cladding on the element. 1.5 to 7 ohms is a normal range from terminal to terminal, you should have no conduction at all between the terminals and the cladding. If the element reads good, you may have a bad relay or controller if it's a newer oven, or your membrane may have failed if it has membrane switches on the front. You failed to note a make or model number, so I can't tell if it's an older switch type or a newer digital.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:06:48 PM EDT
OK- found a break in the element that I didn't see before...

-with an odd white colored powdery substance on the 'floor' of the oven...

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:26:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AdviceDog:
-with an odd white colored powdery substance on the 'floor' of the oven...

Alumina powder and magnesium oxide, just wipe it out.
Top Top