Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 11:35:08 AM EDT
The oven no longer heats up when I set it on 'bake'

Worked fine yesterday. I wiped done the control panel, and afterwards it wouldn't start.
I thought perhaps I messed up the setting when I wiped it down- but it seems that the top element still works.  

I'll call customer service and see if they can help. but you guys know everything under the sun, so i expect you'd have an answer before CS answers the phone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you can Ohm it out with a meter to test. Not for sure of the numbers your looking for though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had the potentiometer,( heat control, off/on/volume knob), go bad before. Should be able to get one online.  Simple to replace.

BTW, your username is ironic
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Ohmmeter. Check the element, first terminal to terminal, then terminal to the outside cladding on the element. 1.5 to 7 ohms is a normal range from terminal to terminal, you should have no conduction at all between the terminals and the cladding. If the element reads good, you may have a bad relay or controller if it's a newer oven, or your membrane may have failed if it has membrane switches on the front. You failed to note a make or model number, so I can't tell if it's an older switch type or a newer digital.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
OK- found a break in the element that I didn't see before...

-with an odd white colored powdery substance on the 'floor' of the oven...

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
-with an odd white colored powdery substance on the 'floor' of the oven...

Alumina powder and magnesium oxide, just wipe it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top