Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/5/2006 4:14:23 PM EDT
Got a few salary related question.

My wife has been doing purchasing for about 10 years. First with a small company and now with a good sized medical equipment company. She has a college degree from the UW.

I ahve always told her she is under paid compared to others in her field. She make about 36k a year. i think she should be in the 50-60k range.

Am I correct? How much does a buyer make on average??

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:21:47 PM EDT
Around here a buyer with a 4 yr degree and has couple years of experience earns between 30-40K on the average. If they have couple years of international experience with good source contacts and is involved in the technology field they can earn 75+K. It all depends on the field of expertise.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:23:23 PM EDT
Around here a buyer with a 4 yr degree and has couple years of experience earns between 30-40K on the average. If they have couple years of international experience with good source contacts and is involved in the technology field they can earn 75+K. It all depends on the field of expertise.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:23:57 PM EDT
Your figures on what she should make are about correct. I am a foodservice equipment buyer for a medium sized company in a small town area, and 36K is lower toupper low side average starting salary! 45-55K is probably on mark!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:33:23 PM EDT
$36k? Sounds about right, to me. To be honest, as important as purchasing is, 60k is kind of high for a job like that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 4:49:31 PM EDT by yobo]

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
$36k? Sounds about right, to me. To be honest, as important as purchasing is, 60k is kind of high for a job like that.

It depends on the field and their knowledge and experience.

You won't pay 40K for a buyer who purchases office supplies for a company but I would be happy to pay 75K for someone who has enough knowledge and experience to buy copper from China and then ship it to Turkey to make Cat 5 Enhanced shielded cables then ship cables to Mexico to make patch cables to sell in western Europe. A good buyer can set up such a system and save our company $1 million per year so I have no problem to pay such person 75K.

ETA if my buyer can lower our cost of a 6' 120V power cord by 4 cents and reduce the cost of Air freight from Asia to US and Asia to Germany by just 10 cents per kilogram we would save about $120,000 per year. Thats just on one project.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:57:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yobo:

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

It depends on the field and their knowledge and experience.

You won't pay 40K for a buyer who purchases office supplies for a company but I would be happy to pay 75K for someone who has enough knowledge and experience to buy copper from China and then ship it to Turkey to make Cat 5 Enhanced shielded cables then ship cables to Mexico to make patch cables to sell in western Europe. A good buyer can set up such a system and save our company $1 million per year so I have no problem to pay such person 75K.

ETA if my buyer can lower our cost of a 6' 120V power cord by 4 cents and reduce the cost of Air freight from Asia to US and Asia to Germany by just 10 cents per kilogram we would save about $120,000 per year. Thats just on one project.

Best possible example.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:02:18 PM EDT
When hiring buyers I never think too much about how much I have to pay them but I think a lot about how much money they will save the company.
Top Top