Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2005 7:47:29 PM EDT
I don't mean self-employed, I mean working a regular job seven days a week. Any body here do it?
If so, how do you cope? Get chores around the house done? Go to doctor's appointments? Have, er, relations with your significant other?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad is a doctor and sometimes has to work 7 days a week depending on emergencies.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I can work each day of the week. Its just life. I enjoy what I do (flying and selling guns), so I dont mind.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't mean self-employed, I mean working a regular job seven days a week. Any body here do it?
If so, how do you cope? Get chores around the house done? Go to doctor's appointents? Have, er, relations with your significant other?

I've done it
I don't cope well with it
I don't get much done around the house
I don't go to doctor's appointments
and you can forget about relations.....

I finally have a good job for the first time in the 11 years that I have been able to legally work.  working for the state is SWEET!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
i work six.

i have the fiance that works 5 do to all the work...

relations with significant other....you find time.
Chores, you get tired of seeing dishes in the sink and whoever gets to it first gets taken to dinner and a movie.

doctors appointments? thats not really up to me.
they happen.

i couldn't amagine working 7.

working six is almost worth going postal.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I can work each day of the week. Its just life. I enjoy what I do (flying and selling guns), so I dont mind.

Interesting... Hmmm
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Offshore I work 12 hour shifts anywhere from a week to a month without a day off. Then I come back home for a few days, then go do it again.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Did it for 2 months...wanted to postal by the end.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Every now and then I have to. Gets very tedious after you hit the 12 day mark.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I do.   Patty
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I currently work two weeks straight, 10 hour days on most days, with a weekend inbetween.  Basically I work 12 days straight, get a weekend, then work another 12 days, etc, etc, etc.

It gets tough at times, but I currently have it set up so the weekends I have off are the weekends I spend with my kids, which basically means that I get no time off, but at least I get to spend time with my young'uns.

I still manage to get things done and have been surviving off of 5 to 6 hours of sleep a night for about 5 months up to this point.

Its doable, but boy do I miss getting 8 to 10 hours of sleep on the weekends.  hell, because of my schedule and how I have gotten used to my sleep patterns, if I do try and sleep more than 6 hours at a time, I constantly wake up and have very fitfull sleep for anything past 6 hours, so I might as well get up anyways.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
In 99' the company I used to work for was pushing sales, and the fabrication dept. was hard pressed to keep up production rates, so me and nine others worked 12hr days /7 days a week for 11months, holidays and all, with the only days off being our vacation time, then a week before Christmas the plant mgr. came down and told us what a fine job we'd done, but our dept. was getting furlode for the next 7 weeks cause the projected sales didn't come through, I got called in after 4 weeks since I was one of the machine set up men, but it still sucked to loose a months pay for the co's fuckup, I took a partial down grade the following year cause I wouldn't work any overtime that wasn't manditory, I have a different employer now, but I still wont work any overtime unless its absolutly neccessary, and never ever volunter for anything.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a regular job with a regular hours for 15 yrs. For the last 5 though I have worked every winter straight thru for 5 months without a day off.  About 450 hrs per month wihtout any kind of a life. You go from depressed to crazy to indifference .
The catch is I have 7 months off afterwards to do what I want with the family. PLUS I have one hell of a wife that looks after all of the details thru the winter.
Enjoy every moment you have off, to look after yourself (meaning family too).  And savour your relationships.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I worked 7 days a week for almost 8 months.
USS Stennis.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I had a regular job with a regular hours for 15 yrs. For the last 5 though I have worked every winter straight thru for 5 months without a day off.  About 450 hrs per month wihtout any kind of a life. You go from depressedheEnjoy every moment you have off, to look after yourself (meaning family too).  And savour your relationships. hr

Worth all that free socialized healthcare?

nothings free
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I worked 7 days a week for almost 8 months.
USS Stennis.

Many of us that have seen the Persian Gulf from the seaward side have done weeks, if not months, of 12-on-12-off 7 days a week.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I belive I had my rant on this, but than I got a big check and now I am happy again.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#19]

This week I did.  25 hours on the weekend!!!  All on the big clock, OT!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Generally in the summer I work

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't even work seven HOURS a week.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#22]
i work 7 days-2 jobs, both at night so taking care of business isn't too hard, as for "relations"-get it when i can....she works too, but we manage to work it in
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I used to, I miss that job, my life had no purpose same as it does now but I was busy and making money.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I have done it before...sucks ass.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
This week I did.  25 hours on the weekend!!!  All on the big clock, OT!

lucky sob
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm self employed and sometimes work 7 days, only when absolutely neccesary.

My brother works 7 days most of the time.....poor SOB  at least it's voluntary.  He's a security guard and gets all the overtime he wants.  Plus, he is trying to get his business off the ground and works for our father 2 mornings a week.

I don't know how he does it all.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:40:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, I do. It has cost me two engagements.

Funny, but you never hear them say "You work too much-I'm lonely!" as much as you hear them say "Will you buy this for me?"

Dave
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#28]
The longest I ever worked without a "day off" was 4 1/2 months, winter-spring of 2001.

Hell...

I didn't have anything else to do.  

(And that means, get in big white truck.  Leave yard.  Not come back for 18 weeks.)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If so, how do you cope? Get chores around the house done? Go to doctor's appointents? Have, er, relations with your significant other?

I work 3 jobs. Sometimes it works out to be 7 days a week, but i try to avoid that.Usually its 6 days a week. The 7th day comes into play if I have Guard weekends or work OT at one of my other jobs. I get stuff done around the house because my main job is nights now, and I do the house stuff during the daytime.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Sometimes.  Depends on how saturated the new home market is locally.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Working 7 days a week has become pretty normal for me.

Chore? I just do them at night.

Doesn't leave much time for friends or family though. Hard to even find the time to pick up the phone really.

It sucks sometimes, but when you've done it for so long, you ALMOST get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It sucks sometimes, but when you've done it for so long, you ALMOST get used to it.

We have a winner...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Other than time off for weddings, funerals, my wife's stroke, and other major family-related things, I've worked 7 days a week for almost 12 years.  Twelve years ago was the last time I had a vacation.  I was 64 then and ended-up with chicken pox that week.  I literally thought I was going to die.  Since I started my last job in May 1996, I've averaged over 14 hours a day seven days a week.  It's really wearing on me.  My house and yard are a wreck from neglect.  I haven't had a car in over four years since I haven't had the time to replace the clutch in my van.  I dropped out of school after eighth grade, so finding a job making enough to work only 40 hours a week and pay for my wife's nursing home doesn't look like it's going to ever happen.

Anyone have any suggestions for those of us that have to work 100+ hour weeks?  It's really gotten to the point where I just hate life.z
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Other than time off for weddings, funerals, my wife's stroke, and other major family-related things, I've worked 7 days a week for almost 12 years.  Twelve years ago was the last time I had a vacation.  I was 64 then and ended-up with chicken pox that week.  I literally thought I was going to die.  Since I started my last job in May 1996, I've averaged over 14 hours a day seven days a week.  It's really wearing on me.  My house and yard are a wreck from neglect.  I haven't had a car in over four years since I haven't had the time to replace the clutch in my van.  I dropped out of school after eighth grade, so finding a job making enough to work only 40 hours a week and pay for my wife's nursing home doesn't look like it's going to ever happen.

Anyone have any suggestions for those of us that have to work 100+ hour weeks?  It's really gotten to the point where I just hate life.z

My math is not too good, but from reading your post I get the impression you are somewhere around 86 years old. What kind of work do you do, and how do you manage to put in so many hours?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I did it for 10 years.  I even had to go 2 days a week without sleep.  Life sucked and it did permanent damage to my health. I was always exhausted and had no time for what I wanted to do. I thank God every day I don't have to do it much any more.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I do it every now and then when they offer voluntary overtime at work and I have nothing else to do.  When I was saving to buy a house I worked for 3 months straight without a day off.  I'd never do that again.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#37]

you are somewhere around 86 years old. What kind of work do you do, and how do you manage to put in so many hours?

I'm 76.

I'm GM of a courier/armor car/data processing company.   We've been barely making ends meet since before I started working here.  I have never been able to find enough decent employees, so I've always had to play catch-up.  Most of my time on arfcom is spent while talking to customers on the phone.  About 20 hours a week is spent managing, about 20 hours of accounting, and about 60 hours of programming.  For the past seven weeks, I've worked close to 20 hours a day for four or more days a week to finish a software project for a customer.  If they accept the work, the owner has offered me every penny of the profit.  I'll make the equivalent of two years worth of pay.  That's the only thing that's keeping me going.z
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Work normal 8 but on call this week 24/7. They can call or page anytime of the day or night, I pull a lot of OT in the winter and in storms, pays the gun bills. 102 hours in a week on storm duty was my highest I think.  It will consume your life if you let it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Been doing it since November.

It sucks. You end up getting into a
work-eat-sleep routine, which is
pretty depressing.

It'll be over soon (project goes
live in late June).
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#40]
besides my deployment time (and especially last year when i pulled 9 weeks of 18x6) ive had one job where i worked 7 days a week, and they were 12x12, after the fourth month i anwsered a job listing for a better job. I told my boss that my wife said if i wasn't switched to days she was goin to leave me. He told me i better go find a lawyer, so i told him to "take this job and shove it"
   started my new job the next  day, life got a whole lot better. After 4 months working 12 hour shifts at night i thought i was in heaven, it made 8 or 9 hours feel like 4, and everything was still open when i got off work.

never again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top