Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/12/2006 2:47:17 PM EDT
I probably should since I have a nasty penicillin allergy, but I don't. I just put it on a card in my wallet.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:49:37 PM EDT
Just get the RFID like others have already done
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:53:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Turnkey:

Only if they'll implant it in my forehead.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:33:11 PM EDT
Okay serious answer this time

My Daughter was born with severe food allergies Milk , Eggs and Peanuts
She was hospitalized once after ingesting some egg product and should've been another time
Her Peanut Allergy was so severe that No Peanut Products wer kept ion the House and Epipens were always at hand

We had her wear one of the Medical Alert ID bracelets for a few years
Now she's older and has actually Outgrown the Milk and Peanut Allergy

If you think you might wind up in the hospital for some reason and not be able to verbally relay your Info the Bracelet might be a good precaution

If you always carry a wallet keeping that card with info with your driver's license should suffice
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:42:22 PM EDT
How do you know you are allergic to penicillin? I had a mild reaction as a child so it has always been assumed I am allergic to it. Maybe I'm not. That was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:44:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 10mmFan:
How do you know you are allergic to penicillin? I had a mild reaction as a child so it has always been assumed I am allergic to it. Maybe I'm not. That was a long time ago.

Because I was given it when I was 14 or so and ended up at the hospital.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:46:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 5:46:25 PM EDT by bmick325]
Penicillin and Iodine here

No bracelet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:04:51 PM EDT
Hope you're not unconcious in the ER and need a CT with contrast.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:05:18 PM EDT
The last time I asked a doctor he said there was no test for penicillin reaction and to just try to take it could be dangerous. Just wondering.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:07:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:
Hope you're not unconcious in the ER and need a CT with contrast.

Don't most iodine allergies only produce adverse skin reactions and rashes? I'm allergic to penicillin and a few other ABs, and don't wear a medic alert bracelet..........maybe I should.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:16:28 PM EDT

...CT with contrast.

whass that?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:26:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:

...CT with contrast.

whass that?

It's a CAT Scan taken while your veins are illuminated with iodine, which is injected into you intravenously........IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:17:16 PM EDT
My wife has one to alert them she's allergic to sulfa. She also has a Medical Alert thumbdrive on her key chain that lists certain parts of her medical history (she's not a stickler about privacy like I am), but for her it's a good thing since she has a rare condition.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:22:33 PM EDT
If I needed one I would wear it. You have a life threatening condition. Don't risk it. My wife wears one because of a brain tumor. She doesn't even notice it anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:24:43 PM EDT

Ok I'm a dumbass. WTF is a RFID?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:28:37 PM EDT
My wife is allergic to asprins and will actually choke out if not treated promptly so yea she wears one. It only took one trip to the ER to learn that little treat.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:21:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 8:22:31 AM EDT by Unicorn]
RFID = Radio Frequency IDentification. It gives off a radio signal that can be read with the proper reader.

CT with contrast = The suck! The dye is given through an IV and just after it goes in, you get a nice warm feeling, and even better is that metallic taste in the back of the mouth. It's especially good when you are having the scan done on your face/neck region and can't swallow.

I'd get the bracelet or necklace. Not like either one is really bulky or anything.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:23:36 AM EDT
Dad wears one for his pacemaker. Has all the pertinent data on it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:26:02 AM EDT

Okay serious answer this time

My Daughter was born with severe food allergies Milk , Eggs and Peanuts
She was hospitalized once after ingesting some egg product and should've been another time
Her Peanut Allergy was so severe that No Peanut Products wer kept ion the House and Epipens were always at hand

We had her wear one of the Medical Alert ID bracelets for a few years
Now she's older and has actually Outgrown the Milk and Peanut Allergy

Okk. How do you know she has out grown the milk and peanut allergy? Or I should say, how did you determine she outgrew it? Something along the lines of once a year feeding her PBJ and a glass of ice cold whole milk? "Honey! Great news, our daughter did not go into anaphylactic shock this time!"

Just wonderin'.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:28:24 AM EDT
I have a penicillin allergy, but I don't wear one.

Should I? I always assumed that penicillin wouldn't be administered immediately in an emergency situation, and that either my wife or I would be able to communicate with the doctors before they got too far with the antibiotics.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:52:18 AM EDT
OR, let's say you are in a bad auto crash...unconscious. Compound Fractures (the bone is sticking out).

You get taken to the hospital...take you to surgery, while hanging a bag of Ancef on the way (a cephalosporin--a penicllin "derivitive" that has about a 10% cross reactivity for allergies with PCN).

Be nice to know you had the allergy BEFORE you started to swell up and not breathe.

Ancef is common enough in ortho sx. that it is jokingly called "orthocillin"

To the Penicillin allergic out there:

Which of these might cause an allergic reaction?

1. Amoxicillin
2. Erythromycin
3. Keflex
4. Vancomycin
5. Augmentin
6. Biaxin
7. Unasyn
8. Cipro

Better to be safe and have some kind of documentation around.

((Yes, I am well aware that a lot of the old PCN allergies was probably due to impurities in the med than the PCN itself, but medical allergies aen't something you fool around with)).

And, finally...a joke:

What's the difference between an Orthopedic Surgeon and a Plumber?

<­BR>

The Plumber knows 2 more antibiotics...

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:58:50 AM EDT
Well, you've convinced me to wear one of those bracelets

Truth be told, I never did because my mother told me I wouldn't be getting penicillin in an emergency situation.

And yes, I'm allergic to amoxicillin (sp?) as well. Actually, I was told to never let a doc give me anything with "cillin" in the name.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:21:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ORinTX:
Well, you've convinced me to wear one of those bracelets

Truth be told, I never did because my mother told me I wouldn't be getting penicillin in an emergency situation.

And yes, I'm allergic to amoxicillin (sp?) as well. Actually, I was told to never let a doc give me anything with "cillin" in the name.

It's a really good idea,

My sister and father are diabetic, so I got them both one,

It just makes me feel better.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:17:39 PM EDT
Actually, if you are PCN allergic, you might be allergic to the Odd # meds listed above.

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:58:13 PM EDT
Brother-in-law has one for diabetis. Wife got him one from a regular jeweler.
Top Top