Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 2:03:11 PM EDT
I was just looking at tools on the Lowes website and noticed the Porter Cable 20v offerings. Compared to the Dewalt stuff the price is way lower.

I have about 1000 bucks worth of Dewalt tools and 18v batteries that I use for work, but I am rough on them. I honestly can't believe my sawzall still works after the amount of times it has been soaking wet or buried in the mud.

Anyway, from the looks of it I could sell all my Dewalt stuff and be able to tool up with twice as much Porter Cable stuff that is 20v. I could have more tools for more guys at a better price.

I honestly have no idea of the quality of the stuff though, anyone have any first hand experience? My tools don't see homeowner detail either. I might recharge and use my whole battery bank 2 or 3 times in one day with the tools working the whole time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:25:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 2:27:19 PM EDT by Robinson1]
If you are looking to retool I'd look at Bosch or Milwaukee. The older Dewalt 18v was pretty good when it first came out but they can't hold a candle to the new Lithium Ion offerings. Milwaukee red lithium and FUEL is simply amazing. Bosch is tough as nails, has a no questions asked policy if something breaks and a 3 year warranty. If you enroll into the Bosch Provantage program they will overnight new tools to you if something breaks.

Porter Cable? I gave some of the 18v stuff a try, for the same reasons as you mentioned. The drill was decent but really freaking big and heavy. The rest of the tools sucked. Their flashlights are about as bright as a mini-mag with half dead batteries, the recip saw was worthless for anything more than PVC pipe. The circular saw was junk, you could cut about 5 studs on a battery.

I've used a bit of it all. A couple years ago I picked up a Bosch 18v drill to use in my shop. It quickly replaced the drill on my truck and I brought the old Dewalt to my shop. Today I've ebayed all my Dewalt 18v and retooled with Bosch.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:45:16 PM EDT
Dude, they suck.

I bought a set last year and the batteries really do not hold a charge very well.

They are heavy, and do not last long on one charge.

I just bought a Dewalt set of 18 volt from Lowes for 199 on black friday and they work better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:22:51 PM EDT
I am not a fan of these 20v or even the 18 lithium thin batterys....

I use Rigid, the thin batt. don't hold a charge long either.

The old Porta's, Rigid and DeWalt stuff, with the thick heavy batt.
still seem to be the best in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:40:36 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hightech_redneck:
I am not a fan of these 20v or even the 18 lithium thin batterys....

I use Rigid, the thin batt. don't hold a charge long either.

The old Porta's, Rigid and DeWalt stuff, with the thick heavy batt.
still seem to be the best in my opinion.
View Quote

I have both for my dewalts and hands down the NiCad batteries outperform the Li ion ones, but they weigh about 3x more.

I will only use the NiCads  with the sawzall or grinder, the other ones just don't seem to have the same amount of ass to them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:41:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 3:42:32 PM EDT by Ranxerox911]
Porter Cable, Dewalt - both made by Black and Decker.  PC used to be great (like many others), but I agree with the poster above: Bosch, Milwaulkee, and Makita.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:50:36 PM EDT
I've got a PC set, but I just use them around the house and to build the occasional project/coop/shed, etc.

If I were going to get something for serious work, I'd go with the above recommendations.  I like DeWalt, but it is pricey for me since I don't use it regularly .   I just looked at the battery sets yesterday and some of them are very nice.

Top Top