Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 5:17:18 PM EDT
I've been looking for a plain old stepper, but it seems all the stores have replaced them with elliptical trainer.

My goal is two things:
1. Good aerobic workout
2. Pre-exhaust muscles of lower body before using weights.

I liked the stepper - well, hated using it - but it was the best machine I've used to accomplish this task.

So how effective are the ellipticals? Anything to look out for when trying them out?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
They are very effective but not has effective as the treadmill!! The elliptical is a good low impact cardio machine and has I get older I am drawn to it. They also come with the bar on the side that will give your arms a little work out. Make sure you take a test drive on more than one when you make a purchase!! They all seem different and feel different when you are exercising. Let me know how it goes. I saw one a Wal-Mart for a little over 200.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a nordic trak elliptical and treadmill.  I feel the elliptical is more of a workout as for wearing me out.  It is great on the joints though.  My wife thinks the elliptical is easier and cannot stand the treadmill.  Definetely follow the advice above, try SEVERAL out b /c they all feel different.  Once you find the one that works for you, you are good to go.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
We have a Nordic Trac as well, great workout and it doesn't kill you unless you let it. IE: the easy setting is actually easy...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They are very effective but not has effective as the treadmill!! The elliptical is a good low impact cardio machine and has I get older I am drawn to it. They also come with the bar on the side that will give your arms a little work out. Make sure you take a test drive on more than one when you make a purchase!! They all seem different and feel different when you are exercising. Let me know how it goes. I saw one a Wal-Mart for a little over 200.

The arm work out is one of the things I'm looking to avoid. Once I get set up, I'll be doing speed bag work on my chest days for some aerobic and pre-exhaustion effects. But I really don't want to work out the arms on what should be an off day for them.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Just use light weight to pre-exhaust that target muscle in your legs. Cardio will burn up your muslce glycogen stores, and leave your muscles with less energy to lift. Do your cardio after you lift when your body is running low on muscle glycogen which will cause it to try and burn more fat instead.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Just use light weight to pre-exhaust that target muscle in your legs. Cardio will burn up your muslce glycogen stores, and leave your muscles with less energy to lift. Do your cardio after you lift when your body is running low on muscle glycogen which will cause it to try and burn more fat instead.

+1.  

Ellipticals give a good cardio workout (I use them to cross train for running) but it is adifferent thing when you are talking about pre-exhaustion for weight lifting.  

Another reason to do cardio after you lift weights is that (in theory anyway) it gets the blood pumping and flushes out some of the lactic acid.  Or just do cardio on a separate day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top