Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2002 7:50:59 PM EDT
I'm doing a report on manometers, and I need to cite specific uses of them in industry.  I'm having trouble finding specific uses online, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#1]
We use them to measure the crankcase pressure (slight vacuum) on medium speed diesel engines.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Manometers are used to balance airflow in heating and ventilation ductwork. Try searching AOL keywords "manometer" and "air handlers..." there is A LOT of info out there.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe Lordtrader uses a manometer.....no  wait it's a boyometer sorry.

IBM launches their PC. BMW develops the first in-car computer. PacMan hits the arcades. Shuttle Columbia launched. Prince Charles and Lady Di wedded.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I use em to synchronize carburetors.. More than two, and they are a necessity..
Meplat-
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Manometers are used to balance airflow in heating and ventilation ductwork. Try searching AOL keywords "manometer" and "air handlers..." there is A LOT of info out there.

FITTER out
View Quote

Along the same lines, they are also used to intentionally unbalance them. In, for example, the semiconductor or biotech industries, you have "clean rooms" which have heavily filtered air to avoid contamination of whatever your working on. You have to run the clean areas at a higher pressure than the rest of the building so dirty air doesn't get sucked into the clean areas.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
At the company I used to work for we used them extensively on our semiconductor equipment to measure vacuum, exhaust pressure, and air pressure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
RV service technicians also sometimes use one to test the low-pressure (post-regulator) side of a propane system — They're easy to build from common materials, and just as accurate as a cheap pressure gauge.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
We use them in biohazard containment cabinets to measure the differential pressure across the HEPA filters.
Hi and low alarms are set from this value to detect filter clogs or ruptures.

Also as MadMatt said, to measure pressure differential between 'clean' (overpressure) and 'dirty' (lower pressure) areas of the production facility.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Any decent high-performance engine shop will have a flow-bench that uses a manometer to measure cylinder head flow...
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#10]
1GUNRUNNER:
1981 IBM launches their PC. BMW develops the first in-car computer. PacMan hits the arcades. Shuttle Columbia launched. Prince Charles and Lady Di wedded.
View Quote

1982 Barney Clark receives artificial heart - operation by Dr William de Vries. European doctors offer liposuction. Rings around Neptune discovered. First papal visit to Britain since 1531. PacMan is Time Magazine's "Man of the Year."

1983 HIV virus identified. Cabbage Patch Kids debuts, as does Madonna. Sally Ride is first US woman in space. Pioneer 10 becomes the first man-made object to travel beyond the solar system. Grandson of Alexander Graham Bell answers first commerical cell phone call. Computer hackers break into US defence computers. Programmer Jaron Lanier coins the term "virtual reality".

1984 Apple Computers launch the Macintosh. Canadian writer invents the word "cyberspace". Dr William Clewall perform the first operation on an unborn foetus. Bruce McCandless becomes the first man to fly in space without a safety line.

1985 British scientist Joe Farman discovers the hole in the ozone. Dr Alec Jeffreys discovers genetic fingerprint, using DNA, at Leicester University. Lasers are first used in surgery. Clive Sinclair introduces the battery-operated car. Commercial whaling banned.

1986 Dick Rutan and Jeana Yeagar makes the first non-stop non-refuelling flight around the world. Nuclear reactor explodes in Chernobyl, Ukraine. Soviet Union launches Mir space station. Fuji introduces disposable camera. Tom Cruise stars in Top Gun.

1987 World population reaches 5 billion. World stock exchanges collapse on Black Monday, 20 Oct. First optic cable is laid across Atlantic Ocean. Richard Branson and Per Lindstrand make first transatlantic hot air balloon crossing. GM invents active suspension, on Lotus F1 car.

1988 US introduces the F-117 stealth fighter. Prozac launched, as is RV486, an abortion-inducing drug. Bombs set by Lybian terrorists explodes on Pan Am 747 over Lockerbie, Scotland. Salman Rushdie's "The Satanic Verses" is published..... ......... ...............
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:55:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I used them in undergound mining for both ventilation studies and to set up the diesel equipment.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#12]
We use them in power plants to measure pressure differences in acid taks (for cooling towers and demineralizers) and back pressure (difference in condenser vacuum and barometric pressure).
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:45:19 AM EDT
[#13]
We use one to calibrate the vaccum chamber on our electron beam welder.

Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:11:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We use them to measure the crankcase pressure (slight vacuum) on medium speed diesel engines.
View Quote

This is what I use them for also. They work for both pressure and vacuum.

Jamie
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#15]
We use to calibrate pressure relief valves using manometers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I used one to calibrate vacuum gages at a chem lab.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Capacitance manometers are standard equipment for monitoring measuring process pressure on semiconductor plasma processing equipment.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#18]
We use them to check gas (natural or propane) pressure on gas valves in furnaces and heaters in the Air Conditioning and Heating field.
Ritchie manufacturing and maybe Robinair (SPX) corporation make them. They may have info that would be useful on theory and usage on their websites.
Hope this helps.
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I use a sphygmomanometer when administering polygraph examinations.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm doing a report on manometers, and I need to cite specific uses of them in industry.  I'm having trouble finding specific uses online, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

Manometers are a low pressure/vacuum pressure measuring instrument usually graduated in inches of water ("H2O). They have many applications and if connected correctly are quiet accurate.
Go to www.thomasregister.com and do a product search for manometer...they list 104 companies that manufacture/sell them.
Hope this helped :-)
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:00:21 AM EDT
[#22]
My thanks to all of you for the helpful info.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to use one to calibrate the bellows pressure on a chart recorder for the oil and gas industry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top