Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2006 11:17:58 AM EDT
Was walking through WalMart yesterday (still haven't restocked the USA2232) and saw them beside the other bulbs.

So anyone use them yet??  How bright are they?  Is it worth twenty bucks to find out??

Post and tell.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of those NightEyes (sp?).

Three LED conversion for the minimag with a click tailcap.

The LED lights are GREAT. Very bright, and extend battery life by a lot. They are bright enough to hurt. Love 'em.

The click tailcap was crap though. Couldn't get it to work consistantly or keep it on, so I went back to the standard tail cap.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I got the 3W drop in for a 2C Maglite.  With fresh batteries, the reflection off a white wall in a  dark house will leave afterimages that last about 15 seconds after you turn it off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I meant the D-cell verison.  

I have three of the smaller verisons (2 AA-cell brinkmans & 1 C-cell taskforce)

Wondering if I should buy the 4 watt converison blub for the four D-cell Maglight.

Only paid eighteen for the flashlight at fleamarket and the blub cost 18.95.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not get the "Night-eyz"  one. It was about $8.00 at wm.   It is pretty dim.  I imagine it would give days worth of dim light, though, so at least it's good for that.

Get the 4 watt conversion.  For $40.00 total, you get one hell of a flashlight.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
That's great that they are bright, but do they cast a beam?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I've put them in 3 different four D maglights.
Two of them work great and the other one sucks for some reason. I've tried changing batteries and everything. I really like the two that do work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's great that they are bright, but do they cast a beam?

Well the AA brinkmans throw a beam about the size of a basketball at 20 feet or so and widens out after that...  it picks out deer eyes at 50 yards if that helps.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one in my mini mag and it rocks... The batteries used to make the bulb go dim when they got weak... Now bright until the batteries are dead.. And the bulb will last forever...
I also have a push button switch on the bottom
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Two of them work great and the other one sucks for some reason. I've tried changing batteries and everything. I really like the two that do work.

Hmm... Probablly a small defect during production.  The filiment most likely..  I bet you could get a replacement for it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#10]
The $8.00 are not worth it.  Get the 3W ones for $19.00 if you need a brighter light.  Though I must add that the Mag light bulbs work great in my daughter's toy lightsabers.  Put, the money in a good LED.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd looked at these but I can't see throwing good money after bad.  My C-cell Maglights aren't worth a mouthful of cold piss.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Try Here <-----------------
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd looked at these but I can't see throwing good money after bad.  My C-cell Maglights aren't worth a mouthful of cold piss.

Yep.
Too heavy and bulky to carry.
I'd rather put a cheaper AA LED light in my bag or vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#14]
The Maglite brand LED is awesome initially, but it drops off as the bulb heats up.  The Nite-ize (spelling?) version pulls a vacuum on donkey testicles.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#15]
If you go mini mag this is the one I have

And the switch

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have and use daily an AA mag-lite with the Nite-Eyes LED and clicker tailcap.

Very bright, but not concentrated. there's no provision to adjust the beam much, since the LED sticks out pat the reflector. Sucks when you want a tight beam, but great when you need to light an entire electrical panel for work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 3 LED mini-maglite conversion, I like it. Pretty bright for a small light. The batteries have lasted along time. The bezel can be removed, which activated the LED's, and it can be used like an LED candle.

Plus, lets not forget the biggest problem with AA maglites, is that bulbs last a very short time before hazing over/burning out. The LED's will last a very long time.

I have a 3 D cell Maglite, and a 6 cell Maglite, both have 3 watt LED replacement bulbs. The 3 cell is probalby about as bright, but bluish. It seems to be easier on the batteries than the original bulb.

The 6 cell is just a hair bright than the 3 cell with the LED. But according to the LED maker, the batteries should have a much longer useful life.

The LED seems to have enough juice to be a good utility or work light, maybe for the car if you have to make some roadside repairs, or a light in case the power goes out for a while. Or a good camping light.

The beam isn't that focused, so use as a "tactical LED Maglite" is probably a less then ideal application.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.brightguy.com/images/bgimages/tertle5l.jpg

And the switch
www.brightguy.com/images/bgimages/kroswitch.jpg

Where is that on his website? I could not find it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The Nite-ize (spelling?) version pulls a vacuum on donkey testicles.

.........."pulls a vacuum on donkey testicles"..........
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.brightguy.com/images/bgimages/tertle5l.jpg</a>

And the switch
www.brightguy.com/images/bgimages/kroswitch.jpg</a>

Where is that on his website? I could not find it.

Joke right? I get it
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Do not get the "Night-eyz"  one. It was about $8.00 at wm.   It is pretty dim.  I imagine it would give days worth of dim light, though, so at least it's good for that.

Get the 4 watt conversion.  For $40.00 total, you get one hell of a flashlight.

What brand 4 watt conversion is this?  I have the NiteIze one and it's not very bright.  

Looking for something brighter.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#22]
For a good review visit  www.flashlightreviews.com

I bought the MagLED upgrade for a 4D recently.  It's not bad.  I think the main advantage is that it extends the battery life considerably (up to about 42 hours for the 4D I believe).

There is a drop in the output of the LED after several minutes of constant run time.  It's significant but not that big of a deal in my opinion.  If you're only using the flashlight for short tasks, then you won't notice it at all.  The drop in output is due to the fact that the MagLED, even if bought as a complete flashlight, is just a retrofit and has terrible heatsinking.  The LED module is mounted in a nice big chunk of plastic with no heatsinking to the body of the flashlight.

If you go through a lot of batteries/bulbs, then I think it's a worthwhile upgrade for $18.  However, I just bought a couple of MagLED 4D flashlights for $19.95 each at Fry's electronics.  You might want to keep your eyes open for sales.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#23]
LASTED 3 TIMES!

On/off for only a few seconds each time.
I have multiple mags, so of course, I swapped parts to eliminate error.
I couldn't believe it was dead after only 3 days.

Won't be buying another.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Nite-ize (spelling?) version pulls a vacuum on donkey testicles.

.........."pulls a vacuum on donkey testicles"..........

SUXDONKEEEEBOLLLZ
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Flashlight reviews gave it 3.5 points [out of 5 possible], a moderate rating.  

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

The bad points are that 1) it's still not regulated (look down the page, at how its brightness drops by 50% in the first 15 minutes) and 2) there is concern about the lack of a good LED heatsink, but any drop-in replacement would likely have this problem.

I am rather surprised that the regular maglite reflector works so well for a LED--because of their different dispersion characteristics, they usually benefit greatly from a different type of reflector.

If you got $50 to spend for a new LED flashlight, it's very-much worth your time to browse the reviews at this site......
~
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I have purchased the LED kits for:

4 D cell Mag = works great

3 D cell Mag = works great

Mini Mag = works great.

Unless you are a total flashlight geek, you will agree.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I hate it when shills jump into a post with blatant endorsement of a product.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm... Probablly a small defect during production.  The filiment most likely..  I bet you could get a replacement for it.

LEDs are not bulbs, therefor no filiments.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Was walking through WalMart yesterday (still haven't restocked the USA2232) and saw them beside the other bulbs.

So anyone use them yet??  How bright are they?  Is it worth twenty bucks to find out??

Post and tell.

I saw those $18 bulbs abd the $8 generics next to them. I bought one. The light is a lot bluer, dimmer and less intense. I think the purpose is to save your batteries, as the LED is supposed to draw a lot less current.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well I meant the D-cell verison.  

I have three of the smaller verisons (2 AA-cell brinkmans & 1 C-cell taskforce)

Wondering if I should buy the 4 watt converison blub for the four D-cell Maglight.

Only paid eighteen for the flashlight at fleamarket and the blub cost 18.95.

I have the 5-D cell, and so far they don't carry one specifically labeled for this version!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I picked up the new Mag LED 3-AA.  It's a surprisingly bright light, and the battery life is very nice.  Candle mode in a tent is great.  Beam's got a surprising amount of focus, the reflector does ok.  Nice light.

As for the C and D upgrades.. Well, I guess if it's either that or stick with factory bulbs, get it.  It's nice and bright, the batteries will last foreeeeeeever, and you can drop it without finishing your work by the flame of a bic lighter.

If you want to get all nutty about it, there's guys who can make the mag into a device fit for signalling the international space station at candlepowerforums.com, but it's a good light for most people.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I got the Nightize LED for the D-Cell Mag lite......

IT SUCKS....

IT BLOWS.....

It's fucking horrible.....

I got the Mag Lite LED, and it's "not bad".....
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I would say go for it, they kick the stock bulbs ass in color, runtime, and brightness.  My only complaint is that they are not standard PR bulbs so you can't use them in every PR light.

Quoted:

Get the 4 watt3wattconversion.  For $40.00 total, you get one hell of a flashlight.

I wouldn't say don't get one, it has its uses.  The packaging clearly states it is to backup the stock bulb when the output drops.  I have one, while not that bright, it is enough for an emergency.  I keep it in the cap on my 3D Mag-LED to back it up.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top