Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/29/2004 12:20:27 PM EST
Mr. Timinator told me about it so I had to get a few bottles to try.

I purchased 3 bottles of Soju, one bottle of cold Sake. I would say the Soju bottles were about 12 oz at 25 proof. Soju is a wine-beer made with rice and grains. Served ice cold It tastes like a smooth Vodka. A little fiery but not bad (this coming from a straight Jack Daniels man). Took them over to a buddy’s house and we cracked them, ordered Chinese food and started watching kill bill and drinking. Halfway thru the first movie the food came and we had finished the Soju and Sake and food by the end of the first movie. During the second kill bill movie I had a beer or two and for dessert we finished off the evening with a bottle of bitburger.

Oh man the next morning I didn’t blow beats but I sure felt like it.
I have not been that hung over in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:22:37 PM EST
You should have warmed the sake. That would have kicked your ass that night. It absorbs into your system a lot faster and all at once. OUCH!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:23:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 12:24:02 PM EST by mark159]
Taste like rubbing alchohol... but hits the spot at the same time.

Heres a little mix drink for you

One cup of beer
One shot glass of soju.

Drop the shot glass in the cup and chug.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:24:49 PM EST
the Sake was cold Sake. i bought it to have a base line to compare the Soju to. Little did I know they are worlds apart.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:24:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:26:51 PM EST
Did alot of Soju when I was stationed in Korea. That stuff will tear your ass apart and you don't know it till you try to stand up! We used to make Jungle juice with the stuff... crazy... lucky I didn't die over there from that stuff...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:27:23 PM EST
i didn’t feel right until the next evening.

i think i will stick to Jack or mescal margaritas.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:30:26 PM EST
Yobosaro!

Huay buyng day!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:36:35 PM EST
Sake ROCKS!!! But ya gotta watch out for the killer hangover...BANZAI!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:51:22 PM EST
Oh man, miss those soju days. Make sure you get the brand that says "Green" on the front in big letters and has a frog on the label. Mix it with a can of sprite and a package of coolaide. Good shit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:45:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By painrx:
Oh man, miss those soju days. Make sure you get the brand that says "Green" on the front in big letters and has a frog on the label. Mix it with a can of sprite and a package of coolaide. Good shit.

The one with the frog is Jinro. It went down real smooth when it was mixed with A&W creme soda. This threads bringing back lots of falling-down-drunk memories from CRC, TDC, Sontan and "A-town" (Kunsan).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:29:08 PM EST
Damn, this thread reminded me I still have some combat bottles in storage...lol I'm gonna have to go dig those out, just for old times sake.

Damn this brings back memories... well lack of memories actually... We used to mix it with some Gatorade, stick a plastic hose in the top and set up an improvised IV... not into the vein type but straight into the mouth.

Anyone remember White dogs? Ammo bowls and Green slime?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:43:08 PM EST
The Soju Experience.

Been there.

Done that.

Oscar can be fun too, but it has to be ICE cold.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:58:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bert_MN:
Damn, this thread reminded me I still have some combat bottles in storage...lol I'm gonna have to go dig those out, just for old times sake.

Damn this brings back memories... well lack of memories actually... We used to mix it with some Gatorade, stick a plastic hose in the top and set up an improvised IV... not into the vein type but straight into the mouth.

I remember the white dogs. The only place I seen that had them was in Songtan, right outside Osan, air base. They had the pineapple yogurt in them, with a bottle of sojo and I think some sprite for about 1,000 won. One of them would get me feeling real good. I used to love the jungle juice. I also liked the kettles they had in TDC, that was some good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:39:37 PM EST
I frequented Ma's Kettle Shop on Hooker Hill in Itaewon. I'd get the grape or orange kettle and kill whatever braincells were developed for the night.

One time I woke up naked next to this prostitu....never mind.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:03:18 PM EST
Tried it a few times over in Korea. Didn't like it too much.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:13:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By DPeacher:
The Soju Experience.

Been there.

Done that.

Oscar can be fun too, but it has to be ICE cold.

LOL...!

Me and my broham drank 28 bottles of Oscar one night. Osan 74-75
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:29:20 PM EST
Most cheap soju is distilled from sweet potatos, not rice. That is why it was so different from Saki (which is rice-based. Since the recipe was originally Chinese, and sweet potatos are native to the US, I'm sure it has to be made with other stuff as well (at least originally). I seem to recall a type of soju made from bamboo, in fact. If made from rice, it would probably taste more like saki.

The stuff I have in my fridge right now is also supposedly flavored with a hint of green tea.

A closer Korean equivalent to saki would probably by chung ju or paek sae ju.

FWIW, if you are going to drink Korean liquor and eat Chinese food, the movie you have to watch is "Mu Sa."

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:05:41 PM EST
Soju Rocks!!! I had it about 5 years ago... I always wanted to buy some of it. Always liked the small plastic bottles... Never got around to getting any of it... Where can you get it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:08:15 PM EST
I thought it was maka-li that was Korean saki. I shared some from a Korean rangers canteen (at Korean Ranger School) once.

Soju in peach juice was big in Toka-ri when I was there in 1989.
Good shit but it will fuck you up big time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:09:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By jms92:
Soju Rocks!!! I had it about 5 years ago... I always wanted to buy some of it. Always liked the small plastic bottles... Never got around to getting any of it... Where can you get it?

Sign on with Uncle Sugar. He'll point you in the right direction...by way of Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:10:24 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:10:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By jms92:

Dude, I totally know where you can score some outlandish fukkin soju!!!

Join the Army.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:42:36 PM EST
Like they used to say on Laugh-In, 'It may be rice wine to you, but it's "Saki to me" '....

Ooooh...saki....bad stuff....no hangover, but you can't make a fist for about three days..
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:37:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By TimJ:
I thought it was maka-li that was Korean saki. I shared some from a Korean rangers canteen (at Korean Ranger School) once.

Soju in peach juice was big in Toka-ri when I was there in 1989.
Good shit but it will fuck you up big time.

Makkali is almost an "unrefined" rice wine - almost a "rice beer" in terms of alcohol content. Its taste, texture and color differ trememdously from region to region, manufacurer to manufacturer. It is a common picnic / lunch drink in Korea. Chung Ju, as I mentioned earlier, is essentially Makkali in a refined state, bringing the alcohol level up much higher in the process, and is more on par with Saki.

As to where to find it in the US (not asked by you, but by others) it is really not worth buying in most places, since the price puts in on par with Vodka, etc. which defeats the whole idea. The greatness of Soju is that it costs less than a buck a bottle! Also, too many "Korean" restaurants try to serve it as a fine wine and price it accordingly! I experienced this myself, paid 30 bucks for a bottle and shocked the hell out of the waiter when I asked for shot glasses!

My supplier here is a small local Korean market. They have Makkali for sale, but no Soju. The trick is to realize that anywhere in the US thet you see Koreans, Soju is not too far away. A small conversation with the old lady at checkout, buying some innocuous Korean products, and speaking Korean in the process led me to the goldmine - the back room where the Soju was stacked up high! She didn't know how much to charge me - I offered 5 bucks per bottle and she was more than happy to oblige (since I don't know whether they pais the taxes on them, I am sure that was a huge profit margin for her).

I realize I paid too much, and vodka is still cheaper, but I just wanted to have some Soju in my fridge - is that so wrong?

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:34:09 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:45:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By Noname:
More info...

Interesting link - I was hoping he would give more of a hint as to how Soju is made. He just says "various grains." The stuff I have now is made from a root, not a grain. So I'm guessing the process can be used on anything fermentable, and very well may be.

It is common lore anong GIs that the secret ingredient in SoJu is formeldahyde - I usually dismiss this and prove the nonsense of such myths with a simple fact and logic - an equivalent sized bottle of formeldahyde costs MORE than SoJu .
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:10:16 AM EST
Did you see the date?

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 23:24:40 +0900 (KST)

Wonder if that's correct...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:21:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2004 3:23:51 PM EST by GIJoe]

Originally Posted By banana-clip:

Originally Posted By Bert_MN:

I remember the white dogs. The only place I seen that had them was in Songtan, right outside Osan, air base. They had the pineapple yogurt in them, with a bottle of sojo and I think some sprite for about 1,000 won. One of them would get me feeling real good. I used to love the jungle juice. I also liked the kettles they had in TDC, that was some good stuff.

"Boogie House". Had a couple White Dogs Friday night. They have the "Snake Shot" there too.

ETA They sure ain't 1000 won anymore....Damn olympics in the 80's ruined this place....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:02:41 AM EST
Found out that the alcohol content can vary greatly from batch to batch..........

Buddy of mine brought back a couple of bottles from a TDY to Korea. We spent one night killing off the first bottle..... not much kick to it we thought. Drank various other beverages that night also.

The next weekend we go to knock back the second bottle. Put it away.... go to stand up and fell on my face!!!! (Didn't need anything more to drink that night)
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:45:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By DoctorT:
Found out that the alcohol content can vary greatly from batch to batch..........

Buddy of mine brought back a couple of bottles from a TDY to Korea. We spent one night killing off the first bottle..... not much kick to it we thought. Drank various other beverages that night also.

The next weekend we go to knock back the second bottle. Put it away.... go to stand up and fell on my face!!!! (Didn't need anything more to drink that night)

DoctorT, meet Dr Soju! Thats the stuff alright......
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:49:15 AM EST
Nothing beats Soju in bringing out the animla instincts in you while your consuming. But the feel of the next morning is generally over rated.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:42:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By Timanator:
Nothing beats Soju in bringing out the animla instincts in you while your consuming. But the feel of the next morning is generally over rated.

the next time i think i will just stick my head in a vice and torque down.
ask presto99.

he knows!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:58:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By bmick325:

Originally Posted By painrx:

The one with the frog is Jinro. It went down real smooth when it was mixed with A&W creme soda. This threads bringing back lots of falling-down-drunk memories from CRC, TDC, Sontan and "A-town" (Kunsan).

Do they still have the blond Korean hookers in that club (the one with the archway in front) in Tong Du Chong?
Man, that was the best weekend I ever spent in Korea. The 2ID and the Cav were all out in the field when a few buddies and I drove up from Yongson to explore. We pretty much had the run of the towns. One place outside Camp Gary Owen, someone popped a CS grenade in one of the clubs and all the folks were standing outside with snot running out of their noses, tears runing down their faces and coughing up a storm. But everyone still had their OB's in their hands.
Top Top