Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2004 7:38:11 AM EDT
I did, but nicely.
Kid at the grocery store asked if I wanted to give to UNICEF, I said "No thanks, the UN hates America and I don't support them".   ANy UNICEF collectors at my door will get the "Why the UN sucks" booklet from JPFO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
When I see stuff like this I explain to the kid how he is out in the hot sun begging for money where 1/2 of it ends up going to adults that run the group instead of the kids themselves.  This usually get the kids upset that adults are taking his money.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone who told a kid collecting for UNICEF to "pound sand" should just give it up and become a hermit somewhere.    Just give them candy and ignore the UNICEF box.  The kids are just trying to do something nice...they have no idea how fouled up the UN and its organizations are.  Neither is it appropriate to cut into their fun by stomping on that illusion. Halloween isn't about your politics or even theirs, it's about the kids having fun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyone who told a kid collecting for UNICEF to "pound sand" should just give it up and become a hermit somewhere.    Just give them candy and ignore the UNICEF box.  The kids are just trying to do something nice...they have no idea how fouled up the UN and its organizations are.  Neither is it appropriate to cut into their fun by stomping on that illusion. Halloween isn't about your politics or even theirs, it's about the kids having fun.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh......

/redneck

"Now don't you be bringing that common sense around here boy....

we don't take to kindly to common sense round here!"
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

One-this was a kid outside of the supermarket.

Two-I am nice to kids.

Three-"Pound sand" is used as a metaphor.

Four-Kids coming to my house on halloween will get candy. UNICEF collectors get the booklet, too.

Five-I would be a hermit except it's too lonely.

and finally, Six-It certainly is appropriate to tell a kid the UN sucks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I did, but nicely.
Kid at the grocery store asked if I wanted to give to UNICEF, I said "No thanks, the UN hates America and I don't support them".   ANy UNICEF collectors at my door will get the "Why the UN sucks" booklet from JPFO.

www.jpfo.org/alert20020517a.htm

THE U.N.'S FATAL AGENDA

Does it make sense to you -- to anyone -- that terrorist dictators should have all the arms they want, while potential freedom fighters must be prevented by a world government power from arming themselves?

Whose side is the United Nations on, anyway?

It's on the side of power -- its own and that of oppressive governments. Dominated by the very third-world nations that are among the worst abusers, the U.N. seeks to keep potential opponents down and in misery.

The U.N. has, and always has had, great PR. It's got everyone from UNICEF-collecting school children to network anchor people singing its praises.

But we'd all be a lot better off if the U.N.'s fans quit rhapsodizing and started looking at the reality.

Hypocrisy is spelled U-N-I-T-E-D N-A-T-I-O-N-S. But tragedy is spelled W-I-L-L-F-U-L I-G-N-O-R-A-N-C-E.

The Liberty Crew
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I did, but nicely.

I have cards from my adoption agency that I hand out to folks gathering money for UNICEF.  They are constantly fighting with UNICEF because of their stated policy to end international adoptions.  Thousands of kids have died due to their influence and lobbing in counties like Guatemala, Cambodia, and Romania.

Edited to add that I give the card to the child after I give the child his candy or to the adult if the children are being supervised.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]
What the hell is UNICEF anyways?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't tell any child to pound sand regardless of who they represent.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I did, but nicely.

I have cards from my adoption agency that I hand out to folks gathering money for UNICEF.  They are constantly fighting with UNICEF because of their stated policy to end international adoptions.  Thousands of kids have died due to their influence and lobbing in counties like Guatemala, Cambodia, and Romania.

Edited to add that I give the card to the child after I give the child his candy or to the adult if the children are being supervised.

WTF?  Why would anybody want to end international adoptions?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I treat ALL beggars the same.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You got me.   Last time I talk to one of the UNICEF officials in Cambodia, they said that Americans were stealing all the children, the children were losing their culture, and they had no chance to know their biological relatives.

None of these reasons, even if true, made any sense to me, especially when you consider that fact that these children are dying in these orphanages due to disease and hunger.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
unicef has been banned from the local schools here for just that reason.

mike

Lucky you. Here in the PRoMA, they are issued to the elementary schoolkids. My kids who are still in school threw them out, and the teachers made them take them home anyway. They are now range targets.

Of course, one little liberalette-in-training asked my son in 4th grade how much he was going to collect for UNICEF. "Nothing" he said. "All that money goes to help the wrong kids anyway." "What do you mean??" she asked indignantly. "It only goes to help the sons and daughters of rich dictators from Africa and S. America get cushy office jobs in New York City", he replied. "Mrs......! Erik's saying bad stuff about UNICEF!!"

Needless to say, when the little tykes show up here I tell the kids with their little orange boxes that almost none of the money they collect goes to help anybody who's poor.....

Truth sucks, but it's still the truth.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got me.   Last time I talk to one of the UNICEF officials in Cambodia, they said that Americans were stealing all the children, the children were losing their culture, and they had no chance to know their biological relatives.

None of these reasons, even if true, made any sense to me, especially when you consider that fact that these children are dying in these orphanages due to disease and hunger.

Yeah, that's why I was so boggled by the Unicef stance.  These int'l adoptions do an uncommon amount of good for the children involved.  The only reason I could see somebody being against int'l adoptions is because there's children in orphanages right here in the US looking for a good home too.

Hell, I bet UNICEF is against Americans adopting those African AIDS kids in the hopes of giving them a few good years before they go.  Mucho respect for the couples that adopt those kids.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh......

/redneck

"Now don't you be bringing that common sense around here boy....

we don't take to kindly to common sense round here!"

PRICELESS!

You express your support for an individual for his stating "common sense". However, the great part is how you go on to insult those that tell the kids they're wrong by saying, "we don't take to kindly to common sense..."

Little did you know that the word you needed to use was "too", rather than "to".

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Sure, I've been telling them that for years

Even when I was a kid, I didn't like the idea of the UN for some reason'

Probably because my parents are from Taiwan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top