Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:53:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 11:15:52 AM EDT by FloridaConfederate]
Working on some complex big deals with our business and I have had some noticeable anxiety, ups and downs w/severe insomnia (see my posts here at all hours of the MFin night as proof)

So I go to the Dr. last week for a follow up to some surgery (knee) and he is like "your BP and heart rate are elevated"..and like the idiot I am, I open my suck and proceed tell him about the stress I am going through.... blah blah.... cry me a river..... sorta sob story. SO Dr. Numbnuts MD immediately wants to put me on a "mild anti-depressive" TO which I replied "fuck that". I literally said "fuck that" and he asked me if I thought I was being rational. Anyways I leave without the script.

Fast forward to this morning and a customer, who I really adore comes in (she is an MD but doesnt practice hands on med anymore and one hell of a sweet ole Dixie MILF) and I tell her my story to wit she replies

You need to look into 5-htp.

So I been reading about it and it sounds good but in the same breath it sounds alot like the sorta "kalifornia-style touchy feely tree hugger vitamin health food store crap" that this ole redneck boy dont readily buy into.

Anyone take 5-htp and did it help unfuck their symptoms ?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:09:45 AM EDT

Ok, the licensed guy you pay for advice, keeps up with meds and other treatment, recommends short term meds, well, you don't like it and tell him to shove it.

Next, customer MD comes in that doesn't practice medicine and recommends some unproven OTC herb or spice.

Now, you want your internet gun buddies giving you anecdotal health advice on unproven, unregulated products.

While you don't seem to make good medical decisions for yourself, you do have good taste in avatars.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:13:59 AM EDT
I've take a few 5hydroxy-L Tryptophan pills on sleepless nights a long time ago. It worked quite well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:16:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 9:17:42 AM EDT by Andreuha]
I agree with the latter part of your finding; but if you really do need something, it's change of lifestyle that would make you no longer want to kill yourself, not take meds to keep life bearable.

I for one don't buy into the american medical system, they turn patients into dependants ("regular customers"). Hell, I've got crap vision all thanks to eye-doctors who made sure to correct my vision early on and have me coming back every so often for even stronger lenses. That's what's wrong with our current system of medicine.

as a sidenote: I know communism sucks, but their under-funded docs sure got something right: a system of eye exercises that brought my dad from 20/500 to 20/20. I got a book on it and it helped me until I got lazy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:29:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 9:32:02 AM EDT by FloridaConfederate]
The thing is I am not depressed and the Doc, who listened to all of about 3 sentences about my situation, whipped out that script pad faster than bum on a baloney sandwich. (wish he would whipped it out that fast when my Percocets ran out)

Life is good. No thoughts of killing myself, beating my wife/kids or kicking my dog. Good Lord if they want to give you drugs (SSRI) that completely change the way your brain functions for a little rough times what the hell do they do when your really in a bad way...lobotomy ?

Wanna bet the good DR is incented by the pharmaceutical co ? Dude probably gets to take his family to Hawaii if he writes X amount scripts.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:39:15 AM EDT
Some people actually do need these medicines. Sounds like you are just going through a rough spot.

My advice, you need to get out and shoot more.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:11:27 AM EDT
To actually answer the question:

5-HTP is a serotonin precursor/regulator/neurotransmitter called 5-hydroxy-tryptophan .

It's actually been quite well studied in the medical world. (Schwarcz, Young, and Brown (1989), Gastpar and Wakelin (1998), Costa and Greengard (1984)). But some critics have discounted study results because of methodology. As always, it's a crap shoot sometimes.

If your troubles are serotonin related it may help quite a bit. If not, it will do nothing.

Many anti-depressants are uptake inhibitors. They are designed to prevent the recycling of serotonin and such and therefore keep it working in your brain. (Keep the serotonin receptors busy).

What seems clear is that 5-HTP actually aids in serotonin production. What's less clear is how sure that is to solve your problem.

If you get it, get the stuff with vit B in it also (helps get it where it's going).

Some people report stomach problems with it, YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:13:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 10:15:06 AM EDT by FloridaConfederate]
Thanks for the great response.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:37:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FloridaConfederate:
Thanks for the great response.

Sure. (I assume you meant me).

See also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HTP

Be careful when buying. Some drug users (of extacsy primarily) apparently use 5-HTP to recover lost serotonin and in some areas it's looked at at a "druggy purchase."
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:43:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 10:59:06 AM EDT by PeteCO]
In Europe, 5-HTP combined with St. John's Wort is considered to be as effective as Prozac. Not only did this stuff help me, it enabled to me replace an antipsychotic with it. I feel better than I did when I was on just Prozac, too.

And these herbs don't have the shitty side-effects that the prescription antidepressants have. Also, no adverse effects if you stop taking them suddenly. They do take a while to work, just like Prozac though, so give them a week or two at least before you give up on them.

You must take about 3 tablets (150mg) of 5-HTP and about 6 tablets (900mg) of SJW daily, which is more than the dose listed on the package the herbs come in. Google SJW and 5HTP and you'll see tons of info out there.

If your problems are dopamine or GABA related I don't think either herb will help however.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:49:45 AM EDT
Tag
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:55:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Andreuha:

as a sidenote: I know communism sucks, but their under-funded docs sure got something right: a system of eye exercises that brought my dad from 20/500 to 20/20. I got a book on it and it helped me until I got lazy.

no fucking way.

link? I'd cut off one of my nuts to get 20/20 uncorrected sight.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:00:24 AM EDT

Good Lord if they want to give you drugs (SSRI) that completely change the way your brain functions for a little rough times what the hell do they do when your really in a bad way...lobotomy ?

You don't wanna know the hell that some of the stronger, more serious drugs impose via side effects. Taking Abilify daily was torture for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:00:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:38:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:

no fucking way.

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:15:16 PM EDT
I heard about this last night on the radio or tv and thought it was crap so I'm waiting for more info too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:29:09 PM EDT

no fucking way.

www.neuticles.com

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:42:33 PM EDT

The thing is I am not depressed and the Doc, who listened to all of about 3 sentences about my situation, whipped out that script pad faster than bum on a baloney sandwich. (wish he would whipped it out that fast when my Percocets ran out) Didn't listen? Get another doc if that is the rule rather than the exception

Life is good. No thoughts of killing myself, beating my wife/kids or kicking my dog. Good Lord if they want to give you drugs (SSRI) that completely change the way your brain functions for a little rough times what the hell do they do when your really in a bad way...lobotomy ?

Wanna bet the good DR is incented by the pharmaceutical co ? Dude probably gets to take his family to Hawaii if he writes X amount scripts. 20 years ago? Maybe. 2005? Not a chance.

Jerking you around aside , the best thing you can do is ditch the stress causing your problems. If that is not practical to do immediately, you may need SHORT term help from drugs. Beleive me, I am not the kind to run to drugs for all of life's little (and even big ) bumps. Maybe a couple of good night's sleep will fix it or maybe more. If your doc isn't listening, find another. Or call your guy back, explain why you are seeing him again and you expect to be seen at a slower time and have plenty of time to fix your problem. Unproven "supplements" may help, the problem is the unproven part. You can spend of lot of time suffering and money buying the latest fad herb.

Hope it gets better soon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:53:54 PM EDT

I agree with the latter part of your finding; but if you really do need something, it's change of lifestyle that would make you no longer want to kill yourself, not take meds to keep life bearable.

I for one don't buy into the american medical system, they turn patients into dependants ("regular customers"). Hell, I've got crap vision all thanks to eye-doctors who made sure to correct my vision early on and have me coming back every so often for even stronger lenses. That's what's wrong with our current system of medicine.

+1000
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:51:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2005 11:56:00 AM EDT by Andreuha]

Originally Posted By cduarte:

no fucking way.

+1

So do I get to watch, or what?
I got this book here
I basically looked for the shortest read, with just methods. My mom read it and says it's pretty much in line with the stuff she did at the old eye-care clinic or however you translate it (it 'only' improved her vision by three diopters, then I was born and she no longer had time for it. The program above brought me up by about 1-1.5 dioter, until I got lazy).
The 'professionals' I've talked to (as a client) said "bullshit, won't work, you need stronger glasses" ("eye crutches!")

BTW, what I meant by the commie statement was really that since we've got a system in place where we get all the meds we need, we don't look to solve the underlying issues that cause our problems.
So that brings me back to the original topic: Doc's wrong, you need to change your lifestyle and have a REAL reason to be happy!
Top Top