Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 8:05:03 PM EDT
When I started my career (quite a while ago) everyone carried a sap. I still carry mine, but no one else in my Field Office does. Everyone carries an ASP or Kubaton

We have to qualify on firearms quarterly and each session includes a block of instruction and practice in defensive tactics. Recently, a new DT instructor showed up and had a cow when he saw my sap. He started stammering and saying over and over again " I don't  have an instruction protocol for that. Where did you get that? You can't carry that"

It made me wonder whether anyone else still carrys one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Against policy for my department.  Of course, our policy forbids lots of fun things.  Only one backup gun, no optics/lasers on firearms, no weighted gloves....
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It's against the regs, but I carry one anyway when I'm doing my normal (plainclothes) assignement.
If I gotta be in the blue suit for the day, it stays in the car and the PR-24 rides on my side.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:06:20 AM EDT
[#4]
No sap here, I just use my hands.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Aren't they also called a blackjack?  Why do you choose not to carry an ASP - just personal preference?

I haven't heard of any dept.'s who still allow those things.  Of course, I'm not in LE, so I don't have as much info at my disposal.

Yeah, blackjack, slapper, sap they are all basically a piece of lead covered with leather. I guess I still carry it out of habit and to keep the old ways alive.

My agency went from revolvers to automatics about 15 years ago. I carry a Glock 23 and a SIG 228. But I was grandfathered in and allowed to continue to carry my revolvers {a S&W model 66 with a 3"(not 2.5") bbl and a S&W model 49}. At firearms training, I stay late to qual with the revolvers. I guess I like keeping the old ways alive.

Plus, I've never found a Glock or Sig that carries as comfortably in an ankle rig as the Bodyguard.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#6]
The Iacp issues numbers for all police weapons. Many years back they pulled the ones for saps. As such using one can open yourself (officer can I see your CURRENT certification for that device?) up to law suits. Your Dept. Won't stand behind you, That is not issued, allowed or do we train them with it,
so the Dept will say all liability is on you and probably disiplined. They will want to make it cleasr to who ever is suing them that it was all your fault for you using it and that YOU are totally responible.

I carried a sap for years it is now in the closet with the rest of my memorabilia.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]
No saps.  Saps have been a no-no for 15 years here.

I still want one, though!  

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#8]
We got rid of Saps years ago.  Funny thing is the SO here just recently started allowing their deputies to carry them.  Talk about step back in time....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#10]
i seen a couple veteran LA sheriff deputies still carrying saps, most of the younger guys had ASPs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top