Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 6:29:45 AM EST
I've always wanted to get some and try them out. I know you have to be concerned about starting fires at the range. Are they safe for use in my AR? Who makes/made quality tracer rounds? I've seen some at gun shows but was hesitant to buy because I didn't know how good/old they were.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:31:33 AM EST
Ammoman.com
And yes, you can and I have started fires at my range shooting .50 tracers. Mostly cuz they are still tracing when they hit the backstop. I bring a fire extinguser. No shit. More of a joke with the range owner.
CLEAN your gun afterwards!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:33:05 AM EST
I have shot tracers from my ak. I have been pretty disappointed for the most part, they didn't trace.

I watched a guy empty a 90rd drum "all tracers" with his uzi. That was cool.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:34:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:35:34 AM EST
Yes and the glow was alot bigger than I had imagined.....

50Cal.

MT
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:36:50 AM EST
shot a bunch in the army- super cool at night when 100 people line up and shoot tracers downrange. you would not believe how much your bullets can riccoche (sp) until you see that. Started lots of fires too so be careful
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:37:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:

btw, one of the fires burning outside of las vegas (or was it reno???) this week was started by a target shooter's ricochet and that was most likely to have been a conventional bullet.

Yeah - I remember in the army, we started fires all the time on live-fire exercises when it was really dry (and we deliberately didn't use tracers when it was dry).
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:37:15 AM EST
I shoot .308 and .50bmg tracers all the time. Fun stuff. Never set anything on fire, yet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:42:04 AM EST
Years ago we would take a buddies M16 and a couple of Beta C-mags loaded with tracers out into the Gulf at night and "unload" them.

Spectacular to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:42:37 AM EST
I keep a 20 rd mag full of tracers on my duece gear, signalling and shifting fires.
I don't really need it anymore, but I've done this since my squad leader days.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:55:22 AM EST
tracers are fun to shoot. I shot a ton of them at night in basic, they go flying all over the place when they hit the backstop, rocks etc. I would think its just the crap that they have that burns that actually richochets all over the place not the actual round. (anyone know the truth of that?)

Oh and we did start 2 fairly good fires out there that night with em
Top Top