Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 10:04:51 AM EST
Yes, yes, yes, I understand it is impractical and home-made cast receivers aren't as strong.

But it sounds like an interesting challenge even if it is the height of impracticality.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:33:45 AM EST
Investment casting is quite the undertaking for just a few, substandard, lowers.

Need the ceramic dip, a furnace for aluminum, a kiln, etc.

That's not the least of it. You'll need a mold that molds oversized wax lowers and they have to be oversized in the right spots in the right way.

This is pretty much a no go for anyone who isn't planning on being in the industry in production and even then it would be crazy to try to compete in that crowded space with investment casting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:36:36 AM EST
not sure if this is relevant to your interests, but here you go anyway.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/676733_Fruity_Ghost___DIY_100s_of_ARs_cheaper__faster__gentler_.html
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:41:55 AM EST
now this is what a 3d printer can help provide....a positive mold for casting stuff in metal.

Maybe use one of the 80% lowers and use that?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:45:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2017 10:46:43 AM EST by freeride21a]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bradbn4:
now this is what a 3d printer can help provide....a positive mold for casting stuff in metal.

View Quote
Yup!

Lots of IC houses use stereolithography(SLA) and create a prototype/proof that they can investment cast with.

You just need to account for shrinkage.. aluminium shrinks by over 6% during solidification
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:47:24 AM EST
Cast steel lower maybe.

I wouldn't even waste my time with a cast aluminum lower.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:52:30 AM EST
Cast Brass or Bronze?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:29:04 PM EST
I am old and I like a challenge.

My thought is this: Make a mold as per Fruity Ghost. Instead of resin, pour in casting wax. Clean up wax and then use it to cast in aluminum. My son has a foundry and many hours of successfully casting aluminum. His scrap is from a pile of old Volvo outboard motor housing. The Swedes have good aluminum.

Clean up. Anneal. Assemble.

Yes, I can buy receivers for 29.95 in some places.

But any fool can buy stuff if they have money. It takes a special fool to spend time and money to make something that is already available for less.

Life is about challenges and not about sitting around.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:34:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:

My thought is this: Make a mold as per Fruity Ghost. Instead of resin, pour in casting wax. Clean up wax and then use it to cast in aluminum. My son has a foundry and many hours of successfully casting aluminum. His scrap is from a pile of old Volvo outboard motor housing. The Swedes have good aluminum.

But any fool can buy stuff if they have money. It takes a special fool to spend time and money to make something that is already available for less.

View Quote
It won't work, the metal shrinks as it cools.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:34:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By bradbn4:

View Quote
Or just 3D print a sand mold 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:37:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2017 12:40:53 PM EST by Pavelow16478]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
Investment casting is quite the undertaking for just a few, substandard, lowers.

Need the ceramic dip, a furnace for aluminum, a kiln, etc.

That's not the least of it. You'll need a mold that molds oversized wax lowers and they have to be oversized in the right spots in the right way.

This is pretty much a no go for anyone who isn't planning on being in the industry in production and even then it would be crazy to try to compete in that crowded space with investment casting.
View Quote
Patternmakers shrink rule for aluminum is 1-1.3% or roughly 1/8" per foot.  Every dimension will need to be oversized by that amount.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:39:41 PM EST

View Quote
I like the cut of your jib sir.

Hell, someone did a wooden lower!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:40:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Patternmakers shrink rule for aluminum is 1-1.3% or roughly 1/8" per foot.  Ever dimension will need to be oversized by that amount.  
View Quote
Thank you, Mr. Buzzkill.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:42:47 PM EST
Thank you, Mr. Buzzkill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Patternmakers shrink rule for aluminum is 1-1.3% or roughly 1/8" per foot.  Ever dimension will need to be oversized by that amount.  
Thank you, Mr. Buzzkill.
I never touched on rigging, venting or looking at solidification .

I have a metalcasting thread going over in the Outdoors Forum.  Happy to help if you have any questions 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:46:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2017 12:48:15 PM EST by maxima2]
Years ago a manufacturer offered cast receivers.

Today NO commercial manufacturer offers cast receivers.

Good luck with your project. 

You could try casting it out of JB weld, that hasn't been done that I know of.

Stainless would make a nice receiver set.
Top Top