Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 8:06:00 PM EDT

It just never ceases to amaze me.....................

I consider myself highly patriotic. On 9/12/01 I hung my fathers Burial Flag in my office, covering an entire wall, to remind me who and what we are everyday. Nearly three years and a day didn't pass were I didn't think of the new reality. I've NEVER forgotten.

Yet, as time slipped by, the meaning...the impact....the sum of that day, slowy faded as life moved on. In some odd fashion it all began to seem like a disaster film so real that it must have been unreal. It's only natural to lose the sting with time.

Tonight I saw all of the images again.....and it rushed back in a split second. The massive reality of All of it. So real, so close, that I felt myself get angry again when I saw the planes hit. I felt my eyes well up when I saw the footage of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 bodies freefalling to death. The shock of the crumbling towers. The mind numbing chaos of fleeing humanity.

Then I felt the pride again.................

At the story of the iron workers who show up that very night, with tools, to cut steel. "You'll need us" The volunteers massed to clear rubble. The firefighters, cops and transit cops showing up to look for fallen brothers and possible survivers. Then the 9 months of work to clear ground zero, and the first memorial day ceremony AFTER...with bagpipers, ranks of dress blues, a sea of civilians with flowers. The slight tears and somber moments seemed like the prelude to a "great inevitable" a new beginning that everyone everywhere knew was coming....we would rebuild. It also seemed like a collective "Fuck you" to the terrorists, many of whom had been put down in Afghanistan while many others ran to the hills. We weren't going to let them diminish us. We weren't licked.

Tonight I rediscovered the sting of the sadness and anger from 9/11. I also rediscovered my pride. Our best days are still ahead, and nothing is going to take that from us.  

My father's flag stands for the same as the flag that flew at ground zero. It represents something so profound in scope and potential that no islamo-fascist anywhere will ever be able to truly extinguish it.

I'm humbled and awed by the depth of feeling I have for our homeland.

Take a moment and say a prayer for the victims of that day.....for those who have fallen to avoid a repeat.....and for your family, friends and neighbors who despite race, creed and religion are able to pull together like a tightly woven flag in time of danger.

Sleep well my brothers, you are among family as far as the eye can see.

KK

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#1]
... It's sad, I get the distinct feeling that a goodly number of Americans  want us to forget. And a large number of that population would love to change the history books to read our Administration was behind the terrorism.

... But we know better huh
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
... It's sad, I get the distinct feeling that a goodly number of Americans  want us to forget. And a large number of that population would love to change the history books to read our Administration was behind the terrorism.

... But we know better huh

We do Wolf......but history is filled with such situations, where a few remember and remain vigilant, while the rest go back to sleep.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I watched it earlier in the week, the anger and sadness came right back full tilt.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I watched it earlier in the week, the anger and sadness came right back full tilt.

This needs to be shown once a month.

Remember how the media stopped showing the footage of the towers falling?

"It was all a bad dream......

Please return to your regularly scheduled reality"

Patriots before us didn't forget.....

I know my Arfcom brothers & sisters won't either.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top