Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:37:58 AM EDT
I was very surprised by this movie. There really isn't a lot of movies that deal with the Soviet war in Afganistan. And I think this is the only one that deals with it from the Soviet soldier point of view.

Great movie but a little hard to watch at moments.

It's at Blockbuster and Redbox now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_9th_Company
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have watched bits of it on youtube but never the whole thing. looks interesting. I gather it is loosely based on an actual co trying to hold an outpost( Battle for hill 3234  ) and waiting for re-enforcement during repeated mujahadeen attacks and ambushes on thier resupply effort. looks very well done Kind of a Russian "FMJ" or "Apocalypse Now" following the characters from induction to the eventual climatic battle itself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive seen it and its pretty good.  I bit stylized, like FMJ, but good.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Cinematography is impressive. I have it on the to buy list.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
It was a tad slow for me at the beginning. The last 30-45 min I liked though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got it on DVD with English subs. I give it 4 outta 5 stars,
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]
This movie was heavily criticized by Russian Afghanistan war veterans. The storyline of movie is nothing to do with a real story of real 9th company. Veterans claimed that movie's director tried to "dip Soviet army in shit". For example (what i remembered), they blamed episode when soldier got damaged machinegun(PK) for personal usage from military storage. Such flagrant situation was impossible in reality.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:39:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone posted a week or so ago that they found it at their local Walmart for fifteen bucks, but I have not seen it for sale around here yet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Da!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I really enjoyed that movie.  Life in the "CA" could be brutal, but that's not surprising since the Russian are tough folks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I was very surprised by this movie. There really isn't a lot of movies that deal with the Soviet war in Afganistan. And I think this is the only one that deals with it from the Soviet soldier point of view.

saigamanTX

"9th Company" is not movie with a Soviet soldier point of view.

It's action/drama movie made by Fedor Bondarchuk(film director) with his point of view on Soviet era and war in 80's.

Some people in Russia even call this movie as an anti-soviet.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Prim.

Do you have any other films you might recommend on the subject of the Afgan war?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Prim.

Do you have any other films you might recommend on the subject of the Afgan war?

Afganskiy izlom / Afghan Breakdown (1991)

Very good military drama on the subject. The most truly storyline in movie about Aghanistan war.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How about "The Beast?"
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

saigamanTX
"9th Company" is not movie with a Soviet soldier point of view.
It's action/drama movie made by Fedor Bondarchuk(film director) with his point of view on Soviet era and war in 80's.

Some people in Russia even call this movie as an anti-soviet.

I would say it makes some important advances for us, here.
A good story, it makes the Soviet soldier a real human being, not a bloodthirsty killer but a soldier doing his duty.
It also showed the multi-ethnic makeup of the Soviet Army, which most Americans have no idea about.
Also told that all Soviet soldiers in Afghanistan were volunteers. (Not like Vietnam, where lots of conscripts were sent)

A pretty positive view for us here in the west, who grew up with the "evil empire" in the east as the boogeyman.

Urrah, Rodina!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Good movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top