Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2013 11:28:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Foresters are a good bet for what you want to do. Subaru is a solid company to deal with in my experience and their vehicles hold up very well. My fiancee just got the XV Crosstrek and loves it. You get a lot of options for the $ with subaru. Mazda has been getting better over the last few years but they still feel cheap to me. I don't have any personal experience with VW, but the people I have known with them spend more and more money on them as they get older. So of your options I would go with the forester. I was going to suggest looking at a Jeep Liberty, but it looks like they discontinued them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am a truck owner. I have only ever driven F150s. My current ride is a 2002 F150 ext cab 5.4. Nice truck. She is getting long in the tooth, and gets a whole 13-15 mpg on average.

I love trucks. I just do not use it as a "truck" but for 2-4 times a YEAR.

I am thinking of something along the lines of a 2014 Forester manual, Jetta Sportwagon TDI manual, Mazda CX5, etc. I really want a manual transmission.

I mostly want a more economical vehicle that I can cram lots of gun shit into that costs no more than 26k or so.

Ideas?
View Quote

The mazda CX-5 only offers the manual transmission with the 2.0 motor which is underpowered.  The vehicle to consider from mazda is the 5:

The forester only offers the manual with the base 2.5 engine as well.

Iif you can wait till early 2014 this is another option:

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transitconnect-commercial/2014/

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
what do you use your truck for 2 or 4 times a year?  So long as you're not towing more than 1500lbs you can easily ditch the truck for a car with a trailer hitch and a landscaping trailer.

<ETA> I tow pretty regularly with my little 4 banger.  Heaviest I've done was over 1000lbs, car drove no differently than if I had loaded the weight inside it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an Isuzu rodeo, then a Silverado, and now have had an older Land Cruiser for the last 5
Years or so. I'm contemplating another truck now. F150 to be precise. When I had the truck, I wanted more inside space. Now I often wish I had a bed. It's definitely a grass is greener type of thing. I may just get a v6 Ram and keep the Land Cruiser for when I need 4wd. I really don't want to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been lusting after a turbo forester for a while now
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Truck stuff. Full of boxes, yard waste, moving stuff.

Like I said. Very few times a year.
View Quote
Yeah then you could easily replace the truck with a hatch/car/crossover and rent a trailer when you need it
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
what do you use your truck for 2 or 4 times a year?  So long as you're not towing more than 1500lbs you can easily ditch the truck for a car with a trailer hitch and a landscaping trailer.  

<ETA> I tow pretty regularly with my little 4 banger.  Heaviest I've done was over 1000lbs, car drove no differently than if I had loaded the weight inside it.
View Quote

This is the route I went, 5x8 trailer.  It is big enough for just about everything I have done so far.  It has paid for itself in the savings over truck gas mileage and bigger more expensive tires, even counting the yearly registration for the trailer.  

One other option, if many of the trips are from Lowes or Home Depot, they offer rental trucks for something like $20 the first 75 minutes or so.  Some managers are very lenient on the return times for big purchases.  Both also do deliveries for reasonable prices as well.

I miss my truck sometimes, but don't miss the gas it sucked up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Subaru makes three damn vehicles that are in my price and interests range.

Forester
Outback
Crosstrek.

All can be had with manuals and will carry gun/range shit.

I think I need to spend time in a dealership.
View Quote

Do you really need the AWD in TN? Subaru's are really nice cars but you're going to take a hit in the wallet and at the gas pump with the full time AWD compared to 2wd alternatives. My input is check out Mazda. They have really been on their game the past 10 years and seem to only be getting better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have an RX8. I like Mazdas.

I really don't want to lose the all terrain ability that my truck has.
View Quote

Just checked out Mazda's website and the CX7 appears to be gone, and the engine/manual transmission combo options, something that Mazda really did well with in the past 10 years, appears to suck now. Apparently they don't make the 2.3 DISI turbo motor anymore besides in the Speed 3? That was a great little torquey motor and pretty damn fuel efficient. And they don't even offer a V6 in the 6? WTF?

You might have to go Scoobie. Keep in mind that you're going to be loosing ground clearance with a car/crossover type vehicle. All I can say is DON'T get an Equinox or other derivative. Most gutless, buzzy motor I've had the displeasure of driving.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mazda is going to put a 2.2L diesel in the 6. That will be cool.

If I said fuck it to utility/awd, Id get a Focus ST.
View Quote

That's the first I heard of the diesel. Sounds cool, downshifting is for the birds. I'll take a big ol' plate of torque please! The Focus ST is pretty cool, but I'd be hating a FWD car with that much power come December-January.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You might have to go Scoobie. Keep in mind that you're going to be loosing ground clearance with a car/crossover type vehicle. All I can say is DON'T get an Equinox or other derivative. Most gutless, buzzy motor I've had the displeasure of driving.
View Quote

While there are a lot of trucks with better ground clearance the outback has quite a bit and since the crosstrek is a jacked up impreza I imagine it does as well. My boss was cracking up when he found out his new outback had more ground clearance than his suburban.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#18]
eh, in the mid 90s I went from an F-150 to the compact GMC Jimmy thinking it could still most what I needed a truck to do, not even close.   Don't fool yourself into thinking its a close substitute.  Maybe for hauling a bunch of guns and luggage, but that is about it.

Floor is too high and roof too low.  I had to sell off my wife's 6 yr old Mazda MPV back in 2010, very capable vehicle, good gas mileage, more of a mid size minivan compared to the giant ones that are popular today.  With 2nd row removed and 3rd row folded, it seemed cavernous.

I briefly thought about selling my 2006 F150 crew due to the lousy gas mileage and keeping the MPV instead and being the weird guy that takes a minivan hunting and to the gun range.  But I figure I am weird enough without that and kept the F150.

If they ever make a mid size truck with a diesel, I may buy one and put a topper on it.   A topper on a truck allows you to carry an incredible amount of stuff without have to spend an hour tying it all down.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah.....

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I went from a crew cab F250 to a Honda Pilot for the same reasons.  I miss my truck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mazda is going to put a 2.2L diesel in the 6. That will be cool.

If I said fuck it to utility/awd, Id get a Focus ST.
View Quote

Unfortunately the diesel was just delayed for more testing.

I've had Subarus, forester is a great choice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I recently sold my 01 Suburban 2500 and 07 Suburban 1500 then bought a 2010 Forester and 2000 Focus wagon. Paid off some debt too.

Best decision I've ever made. I miss the big truck from time to time, but that fades away every time I am at the pump filling one of the new vehicles.

The Forester has been great on and off road. Its gotten my family of 3 out camping and shooting without any issues and is fun to drive. I can definitely see myself in another Subaru in the future.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd take a good look at the crosstek XV and the Forester.  Even with my dislike of the boxer engine I'd seriously consider getting one.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been debating with myself over the XV Crosstrek and Focus ST. The XV is more practical but the 5-speed is apparently loud and not optimized for the engine. It's also weak at 140hp. Makes me think/hope Subaru will update it for 2015 with a 6-speed and better engine.

I like what Ford has done recently and especially with the ST. But it's FWD. However the suspension is balanced towards slight oversteer which is interesting. I'd have to drive both; only researching now and won't start looking until spring. Bought a car right before winter once and I won't do that again.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been debating with myself over the XV Crosstrek and Focus ST. The XV is more practical but the 5-speed is apparently loud and not optimized for the engine. It's also weak at 140hp. Makes me think/hope Subaru will update it for 2015 with a 6-speed and better engine.

I like what Ford has done recently and especially with the ST. But it's FWD. However the suspension is balanced towards slight oversteer which is interesting. I'd have to drive both; only researching now and won't start looking until spring. Bought a car right before winter once and I won't do that again.
View Quote

2014 wrx .
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Part of me wants to say fuck it, and buy a Focus ST
View Quote
So do it!!!  It's not like TN really gets much in the way of shitty weather.

Forgot to add one advantage of a trailer is a much lower height.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a truck. I have yet to replace it, but when I do, it will be with a small car that gets at least double the gas mileage.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The Forester 2.5 with the 6spd does 0-60 in 7.5. It aint too bad. You are right about the CX5, its slow.

I want the ability to drive over crappy terrain. The Forester seems to have that ability.
View Quote
Check out the outback. Great ground clearance and 6 speed. We love our 2013. We were gonna get a forester but got the outback for the increased room.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Do you really need the AWD in TN? Subaru's are really nice cars but you're going to take a hit in the wallet and at the gas pump with the full time AWD compared to 2wd alternatives. My input is check out Mazda. They have really been on their game the past 10 years and seem to only be getting better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Subaru makes three damn vehicles that are in my price and interests range.

Forester

Outback

Crosstrek.

All can be had with manuals and will carry gun/range shit.

I think I need to spend time in a dealership.

We get an honest 30mpg plus with our outback. That's in stop and go traffic. More like 32-35 on trips.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top