Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2002 11:50:59 AM EDT
 I just received ANOTHER unusual e-mail from some idiot in Nigeria. This is the second in about 2-3 weeks and the third in a year. The premise is that a "relative" (wife,son,brother) has "unexpectedly" come into a large amount of money and MUST move it out of the country due to political unrest and so on. One letter even said that the guy was a financial controller for the Nigerian National Petroleum Corp.,and to make a long story short the letters promise that I get to keep 15-20% for "my troubles" in "helping" them . The amount in one letter states 20.5 million and the other doesn't specify the amount (includes "diamonds"). I DO NOT want to get involved IN ANY SHAPE,WAY,OR FORM! Of course,the one letter "asks" for your banking info in order "to send" the money to! I DON'T THINK SO! My SON and BROTHER doesn't even have this info!!

I would be interested in posting both letters to this board for all to see.For all I know its a money laundering or theft scam. Explain how to post them here and I will in their entirety!

PS. If it "sounds too good to be true", IT PROBABLY IS!!

Thanks!

Marty
                                 CrazyIrishman

Link Posted: 9/18/2002 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#1]
STAY BACK !!!

GET DOWN !!

It is a scam.  I get them at my office a few times a year and FAX them to the Treasure Dept. (they handle it since it's about bank fraud)

It has been in the news and some people have lost large sums of money, and then lost their lives going over there to get it back (don't ask me why).

I have a running file of letters sent over in what appear to be lunch bags folded into envelopes.

STAY AWAY ! !

Let me know if you want more details.
Ed
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]
old, old scam...

STAY AWAY
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
This scam is only a little older than the crust in your underwear.  I'm buffaloed to understand how anyone can get sucked into it anymore, since its been on the news and regularly gets debunked.  Look at [url=http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/]HoaxBusters[/url], its all there.

I have no sympathy for idiots that fall for this.  "If it looks too good to be true, IT IS."
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
old, old scam...

STAY AWAY
View Quote

Very true!  Stay away from this one!
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Carbine-Man - Cool link, Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
This scam has definitely been aronud a while.  It has become more and more prevalent within the last few years though because of e-mail.  Even if just a small percentage of the thousands of people they spam agree to do it, they have the potential to steal quite a bit of money.  This scam has been used in many ways, shapes and forms, but always has the same goal:  rip off.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This scam is only a little older than the crust in your underwear.  I'm buffaloed to understand how anyone can get sucked into it anymore, since its been on the news and regularly gets debunked.  Look at [url=http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/]HoaxBusters[/url], its all there.

I have no sympathy for idiots that fall for this.  "If it looks too good to be true, IT IS."
View Quote

Carbine_Man,

Thanks for the info! It took about 5 seconds for me to know it was a scam. I wasn't sure how prevalent it was. I appreciate everyones input! I'll pass this link on about HOAX BUSTERS!
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#8]
You mean I shouldn't have sent them my bank info? I am not going to get my 4 million share of the 20 million?

Seriously, I get these about twice a week, sometimes more. I hope they get what's coming to them (ever wonder what would happen if someone just left a nuke out in the middle of "nowhere" with cool futuristic tubes hanging off of it(disguise you know), and the detonator wired to a big red button that said "DO NOT PUSH"?        Maybe I am strange [whacko]

But I do think it would be funny
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Goatboy sent in his $$ !

Hehehehe....

Seriously though, the US Secret Service has a special unit tasked with handling the Nigerian Scams.  They are referred to as "4-1-9 Schemes".

Give 'em a call:  (202) 406-5850
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

What is this with the [b]crust in the underware[/b]? Is that a North Carolina thing?

Bill
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
old, old scam...

STAY AWAY
View Quote

yep (OLD)
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
No, Other than the two e-mails I recieved from BOG, last night, whimpering about how misunderstood and mistreated he is by all of us horrible ARfys and AUG in general.

They are the first E-mails, I have ever recieved from BOG and with any luck the last.

I'm sitting here pondering which would be worse, E-mails from Nigerian's who think I'm stupid enough to send them money, or E-mails from BOG, thinking that I would beleive anything he had to say about anything.

Hmmmm.....Yep, Yep BOG is the worse of the two, Because at least the Nigerian's will probably give it up after a little while, But BOG just goes on FOREVER.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone seen the newest version o fthe Nigerian bank scam?  It's the al-qaeda email scam.  The email supposedly originates from a specops operator in Afghanistan who found taliban/ alqaeda bank records (Swiss bank account numbers) used for financing terrorist acts, and he wants to get the money in country, before they account is seized.  You can guess the rest...  I read about it, but haven't seen it yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top