Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Good line of reasoning.  Taking a full auto or .50 to the range is like taking a race car to the track.  Misuse either in public, and people are going to get hurt or killed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
There seems to be quite a bit of common sense among automotive writers. Maybe it's because they're painfully aware of governmental abuses of  power (such as various EPA idiocies, fuel economy and safety mandates, federal land grabs of popular off-roading sites, etc.). Definitely an independent streak running through that bunch.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Remember:

Before SUVs were 'Anti-American'.
Before the Prius was 'the Future of the Auto Industry'

Us 'fast car' people were the original targets.

'Too inneficient'
'They're too dangerous'
'Who needs that much speed'

Never mind that even a 'slow' 450cc motorcycle is equal to or faster (1/4 mile wise, anyhow) than most affordable 'fast' cars on the market today ('affordable' means 'Mustang, Firebird, Eclipse, etc...' a/o  Viper, Corvette, Porsche, etc)... Fast cars are 'evil' as far as the saftey nazis and green, green lima beans are concerned...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 1:03:27 AM EDT
[#7]

What should we think? When probing those trackless frontiers, I like to check my instincts against [red]another staffer's (who asked not to be named)[/red]. His mental orbit is reliably different from mine. Hoping that he had already done the heavy philosophical lifting on this topic, I stood by his car until the window lowered. To ignite conversation, I offered this: “If the folks who want to ban .50-caliber rifles knew about these road burners, they'd be next on the list.”
View Quote

Any guesses who this other staffer was?

I'm guessing John Phillips. He's one of the other guys with an editorial in the front of the magazine; the one with the big white dog up on his shoulders.

For the June/03 article, he wrote all about the "logical falasies" of people who try to justify SUV ownership. In the article, he mentions that his "pal" Dave accused him of cramping his right to choose. He, "then mentioned that his so-called right is already restricted. I told him to buy an 18-wheeler and park it in my subdivision tonight, see how fast a cap introduces him to local bylaws. [red]That's because Dave's freedom to choose extends only so far as it begins to degrade my existence--fouling the air that I also breathe, warming the planet I also inhabit, clogging the roads I also pay for. You can test this principle tonight by opening a coal-fired nickel-smelting operation in your garage.[/red]"

Hows that for a logical falacy? His right to choose is already restricted to a certain degree, so therefor it's okay to restrict his right even more. That's like the anti-gunners saying that because the 2nd is already being violated by the fact that we cant own automatics, that it's okay to go ahead and ban revolvers too.

Sounds to me like the typical liberal argument of restricting people because what they're doing MAY cause a problem SOMEDAY to SOMEONE even if they're not directly responsible. Sorta like suing Bushmaster for making a gun that was sold to a distributor that was stolen by a theif that used it in a murder.

[b]I say we should make this the next ARFCOM fire mission.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Csabe Csere another C&D editor is a well known glock user....

M4-AK
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#9]
But keeping and bearing an arm is protected.  Keeping and using an automobile isn't...

I'll agree we need DOT regulations and annual inspections for public safety...plus taxes for roads.  But if you don't use public roads, anything goes...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Like I have always said, I don't need a machinegun, like I don't need a car that can do 172 MPH. However, I can still go out and buy that car as long as I have the cash to pay for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top