Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 10:49:00 AM EDT
My band has been looking for a keyboard player for months and it's damn near impossible. We play bluesy rock and it seems like keyboard players we find can only play classical piano or church music. It's not like they have to be Dr. John or  Ray Manzarek we'd like to find one who knows what they are doing.

Anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]
lol, nope.  I always thought it stupid to be "classicaly trained" and not explore the jazz world, or vice versa.  

Best of luck to your search.  A solid pianist can really make the band rock!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I know the type.  A variety band I used to work for had the stiffest keyboard player ever: proficient musician, teacher, etc., but no coolness whatsoever.  He yawned on stage, looked at his watch repeatedly, and generally maintained a curmudgeonly attitude.  I was the sound man, and every time he showed up he asked me where to find a chair.  No, I don't know where you can find a chair, doofus!  I'm busy, bring a dang portable keyboard bench next time.

As far as church music goes, there's nothing wrong with that provided you find the right church.  Forget the places where the white folks sing "Bringing in the Sheaves", and find a down home church playing swing Gospel that makes you stand up and shout.  There's got to be a bluesy rocker for you somewhere out there.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#3]
You will find some one. It does seem to consternate most key players about fitting in with a rock band. They tend to play big pads and  wash out the midrange. And busy left hands clashing with the bass player.
Less is more, and find little spots to pop a little lick in, staying out of guitar players way. I loved boogie and ragtime when I started taking lessons, much to the chagrine of my formal teachers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top