Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 3:51:04 PM EDT
I found a class 6 gsa weapons safe for $800. It is not fire proof but it weighs 1040 lbs. Its 22" wide 39" deep 52" tall. Is this a good price. I read that class 5 is better but I cant find specs on wall thickness or anything else. Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
GSA container specs do not detail thickness last I heard, they detail how long it must take to defeat by various methods.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
GSA container specs do not detail thickness last I heard, they detail how long it must take to defeat by various methods.

Kharn

that is my understanding as well.

I have several GSA safes used for classified information storage.

You won't defeat the X-09 locks without some special tools and data,  but the actual safe walls are only 1/8" thick heat-treated steel.   That is still stronger than many of the commercial gun safes I see advertised today.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
So is $800 a good price? I caught a forum thread where a guy bought 4 of them for $150 a piece at a govt auction.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So is $800 a good price? I caught a forum thread where a guy bought 4 of them for $150 a piece at a govt auction.

I buy from govt auctions.   I have never paid less than $250 for a file safe, and a $500 for a gun safe.

If it has an electronic lock, an X-07, -08, -09 series, I would be leery.   Most of those being sold are due to the lock's brain getting a little feeble.   It's not a matter if, but when, the lock's brain quits.   Then your only option is to cut open the safe.

The lock/door internals can be drilled and cut by a professional, to minimize damage to the safe and it's contents, but few commercial locksmith's have the data to do it properly.   I have seen safes where this was done, and it was a fairly involved job.  It would take a fair amount of welding to repair the safe, and a new lock retails for around $2300.00.

The mechanical dial locks, like  S&G, are very reliable and can go decades without trouble.

I'd compare your safe to commercial ones regarding prices and construction, to see if it is a good deal.   The commercial fireproof safes I've seen are pathetic.   Extremely thin sheet metal with a poured firebrick-like material.   I have cut them open in 15 minutes using $25 in chinese tools.

I prefer a safe made with  1/4-1/2" thick hardened steel plate and a new electronic lock.   I'd add 2" of drywall all around it for fireproofing, and bolt it to a cement slab.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top