Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2002 1:38:23 PM EDT
I want something small and fast, but I don't know what to get.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
How fast, how small and how much are you willing to pay?

Donzi makes (or made I dunno) a sweet little 16 footer.

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How fast, how small and how much are you willing to pay?

Donzi makes (or made I dunno) a sweet little 16 footer.

View Quote

Not more than 30k.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What about a Baja 22' Mag, with a Mercruiser 454 magnum?
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, Shotar.

Here's what I think I want:

Weekend cruiser, daytime joyriding, ocean use with the possibilty of some lakes, and I'll have to trailer it because dock fees around here is more than my rent.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out this site!  This is part of the beauty of the internet and freedom of speech.

[URL]http://blisterboat.homestead.com/[/URL]

It's one of the first that comes up on Google when you enter "Donzi"

Apparently, no matter what you go for, always ask about/check for blistering.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't you dare buy a boat!!!Find a friend who has one, introduce him to shooting, let him borrow your rifles, and have him take YOU out on HIS boat!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Sunesta deckboats by Chapparral.  Starting slightly less going to way more than you want to spend.

Trust me, John, I've had Jet Skis and I've been on boats friends have.  A deckboat is the way to go.  I have almost bought one at several boat shows, and I looked at them all.  This is a good bang for the buck, good quality, etc.

[url]http://www.chaparralboats.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Aaaaaaahhhh a BOAT HUH first things to remember buying it WILL be the least expensive thing you do.[:O] BOAT =Break Out Another Thousand [:O]I have been in the boating business All my life rest assured you MUST HAVE DISPOSABLE INCOME!!![}:D] That being said they can be the best time of your life My opinion buy new smaller outboard [BD] But buying it WILL be the least expensive thing you do![;)]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I currently have a 21' open bow w/ a chevy V6 mercruiser made by Maxum.
It's actually a pretty nice family boat.
I've had about 6 boats from a 16' to a 36' and consider myself a water rat.
My old man was going to buy a small cuddy that was 1 1/2 years old and when he got it surveyed it was full of dry rot on the runners.
I recommend a survey on all used boats.
If you are really interested in a used boat I would "Word" a survey into the deal.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Listen to MMSIG229!! Seriously though,Shotar has good questions that need to be answered. We trailer a 21' openbow. Each weekend we take it 2-1/2 hrs one way. It sucks, but it's worth it. Ours  just fits in garage(2 inches side, 4 inches top, 6 inches front clearance) Figure out where you're going to store it. Renting slips year around is $$$$.Personally I'd stay away from cuddy's. They're generally too small, hot from little air flow, can't seat as many on the boat, and throw the weight dist. off(everyone's in the back). Our's handles large waves in large lakes well, I don't know that I'd want to go any smaller, even to start with. We've got a Chaparral and love it. Four Winns are popular in our area. I'd buy used. A dealer told me that they won't pay crap for a boat over 10 yrs old.I'd buy 5 yrs old, run it for 3 yrs, then sell/trade. Goodluck, they're fun, but consuming.I've been shooting twice( count it, twice) this summer. But, the wife & kids love it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks, Shotar.

Here's what I think I want:

Weekend cruiser, daytime joyriding, ocean use with the possibilty of some lakes, and I'll have to trailer it because dock fees around here is more than my rent.
View Quote

Check out the Lyle Lovett site as he has one that will allow you to take a pony on board.

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Again, don't do it!!!!They're expensive, impossible to work on, difficult to store, hard to drag around, and obviously seasonal. If you buy a glass boat and decide to trailer it (A major pain), you'd better have a special vehicle to drag it around. If you dock it, big $$$$$$$. My only exception would be if you had a cabin somewhere and just kept a small 12 ft aluminum boat for fishing. Otherwise, they are a major pain. Haven't you heard the old joke about the two happiest days in a man's life??he day he buys his boat, and the day he sells his boat....
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#15]
... Well, it ain't small
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/winston_wolf/BOAT_A.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 3:14:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Any boat you plan on taking into the ocean is going to necessarily need to be more expensive, and it won't last as long as one you use only in fresh water. Salt water is VERY hard on boats not designed for it. And speed jacks up the cost of buying and maintaining any boat drastically.
Friends with boats are a MUCH better investment than boats. If you're still paying rent for your housing, I feel you need to invest in something else first.
Trust me, I know of what I speak on this subject.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 4:13:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Aaaaaaahhhh a BOAT HUH first things to remember buying it WILL be the least expensive thing you do.[:O] BOAT =Break Out Another Thousand [:O]I have been in the boating business All my life rest assured you MUST HAVE DISPOSABLE INCOME!!![}:D] That being said they can be the best time of your life My opinion buy new smaller outboard [BD] But buying it WILL be the least expensive thing you do![;)]
View Quote

[size=5][red]B.O.A.T.[/red][/size=5]acronym for [b]Bring On Another Thousand[/b]

Seriously they are expensive, but for some not having a boat is very painful. I bought my first in 1979 and my 4th boat last August. The in between boat years have been few.

I fish in the Gulf of Mexico and I recommend a saltwater rigged boat with lots of stainless hardware and saltwater fortified outboards. Saltwater is very hard on standard outboards and inboards.

My current rig is a 24' Hydra-Sports Center console rigged with outboards for offshore fishing. We range to 60 miles offshore and will venture out in no more than 4 foot seas.

Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess I am just a redneck, cuz my perfect boat (i just traded my jeep for) is a 14' custom Alumaweld with a 40hp blue label Canadian Mercury outboard w/column steering.  It all sits on a Dilly trailer.  I would show a pic, but I dont want to make all you well-to-do folks jellus..........lol

Its perfect for gettin' drunk on the river and chasing down water turkeys.

Jarhead94
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:52:09 AM EDT
[#20]
26' Velocity.  350hp 454magnum

3 years = $75,000 cash expenses.

Your payment & insurance will be less than 1/2 the cost.  Gas was only $1500 a year, it's the repairs that kill you.

It was a hell of a lot of fun until the wife couldn't boat anymore.

[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sbritton/corvette_files/image029.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Although I own a boat there's a saying regarding boat owners.  The 2 happiest days in a boat owners life are the day he buys one and the day he gets rid of it.

I second Morgan's recommendation on the Baja Mag.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The 2 happiest days in a boat owners life are the day he buys one and the day he gets rid of it.
View Quote

[size=5]NOT[/size=5]

The 2 happiest days in a boat owners life are:
1) When he puts his friends on fish like these and
2) When he host the whole neighborhood to a delicious Snapper and Grouper 4th of July fish fry

35 inch Red Snapper caught 47 miles offshore.
[img]us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/2df31413/bc/My+Photos/big+snapper.jpg?bcZ2zi9AEguWKi8_[/img]

40 inch Warsaw Grouper caught 38 miles offshore. Note for Scale, the snapper in the box are 18"- 20"

[img]us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/2df31413/bc/My+Photos/warsaw3.jpg?bcZ2zi9AhL6bwayP[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Get a Yamaha jet boat, I had a '97 Yamaha 220 Exciter, had twin 110's in it.  There jet boats have the same motors they use in their waverunners and are made for saltwater use.  As long as you make sure you flush them after using and rinse the trailer off, the saltwater does not affect it that much.  As for maint. costs, the only thing I had to replace/fix in 5yrs was the batteries.  Sold mine so I could get into high-dollar benchrest shooting with my wife and didnt use the boat as much as I could have.  As for fast, mine would do 60.  And the only place I ever took it was the Gulf of Mexico, it never saw freshwater except out of the tap.
just my .02
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Renotse,

Did you lop off your friend's head for catching the 35" Red Snapper that should have been on your hook?  [;)]

E-95
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#25]
A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't you dare buy a boat!!!Find a friend who has one, introduce him to shooting, let him borrow your rifles, and have him take YOU out on HIS boat!!!!!!
View Quote

LOL. I've got several friends who own boats. Partied on eveyone of them. As a payback, we sometimes drive out to the desert and rock & roll with my toys. I just got the bug to get my own boat.

I dunno. After talking with several of my friends, yesterday, I'm thinking of reconsidering getting my own boat. They love their boats, but they talk about the boats the way they talk about thier wives or girlfriends.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Odd looking friend
View Quote

OOPS!! He must have lost his head!!

Is this better....NFS JoJo gets the big one.

[img]us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/2df31413/bc/My+Photos/nfs+jojo+snapper.jpg?bcQN4i9ApE8bn2xx[/img]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#30]
FYI:  I think there are more shooters on the payroll at Volvo Penta then any other marine group.

I personally love Center Consoles.  Not the most comfortable boat I ever owned, but by far the most versatile.

Don't buy a boat if you don't like working on them or are at least willing to learn how.

Read a lot and talk to a lot of people.

Buy your first boat used, in the winter.  Look for "divorce specials", lost their job deals or people who are selling their first boat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top