Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2010 7:28:27 PM EDT
Pros and Cons?

Thinking about one to use to commute to and from work.

Thanks,
Max
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If I wanted to drive a toy car to work I'd dig out my old Hot Wheels.

But the options for it are supposed to be good and it looks a hell of a lot better than the xB.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
We have an 06 tC bought new currently with 68k on it and an 09xB bought new with 13k on it. No problems with either minus some warranty work on the door lock actuators in the tC being replaced due to my 13month old at the time getting ahold of the keyfob for about 5 minutes. Who knew that a 13 month old could burn out door locks?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
06 tC owner here with 68k as well, zero problems minus a rock chip from these damn Texas roads My ex gf almost bought an xD, but the looks of it were 'eh' and the motor although more efficient than the tC's was significantly less powerful.

The new tC generation is more efficient, 6 gears (5 gears only in mine), and more powerful 180 hp vs 160 hp...get that!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife & I just bought an '08 with 30K on it. We found a manual (which we wanted). A recent cross country (1300 mile) road trip I took I was able to average 35.5 MPH driving 70-80 the whole way. It has all the get up we need and 12 & 10 year old kids fit fine in the back. The only negative is the "c" pillars are VERY BIG and contribute to a large blindspot. As long as you are aware of it and use good situational awareness you'll be fine.

It was either this or a Fit and we found a deal on the XD so jumped on it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I also just bought a used '08 xD with manual last month to replace an '01 Chrysler minivan that just smoked it's tranny. Other than being paid off, and the occasional run with junk/yard waste to the town dump, it was a waste because all I did was drive it on my 15 mile commute to work.

With the variable valve timing, general Toyota quality, and five on the floor, it's certainly peppy enough. And I only fill the xD's little 10 gallon tank every two weeks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#6]
'08 xD, ~60k miles. Been a reasonable little car. Wife uses it to commute. You won't mistake it for a Lexus (road noise @ highway speeds), but it really does pretty good for a tiny type car, and it has decent cargo space when you fold the rear seats down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.

I might go ahead and get one.

Max
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 06 xA with 60k on it. Only problem I have had is one of the injectors went out at 50k. Other than that. Been a great car for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one for almost a year (work supplied vehicle).  It was great for commuting.  Unbelievable gas mileage and very comfortable.

Don't get a stick, the extra gas mileage you get won't be worth it.

Also, there are a lot of bells & whistles thrown in.

Eric  
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I own an 05 TC with 75,000 miles on it.

No major problems, just general maintenance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top