Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 8:02:19 AM EDT
We've been discussing getting another dog and I prefer larger dogs. The Great Pyranees seems to have the right characteristics we are looking for and they are beautiful dogs.  

Anyone here have any experience with them, recommend a reputable breeder, or know of a good rescue organization (though I'm a little leeery of a rescue dog of this size).

TIA
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a mixed one with golden.  She is a wonderful dog.  At times a little protective, but always good with kids.  She also gets along great with my other two dogs (Husky and a lab).  I don't know if it is the breed, but she has been very mellow her whole life.  Great Pyranees are the only breed of dog I will own in the future.

My wife and I picked her up from a rescue association.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent dogs - for the most part..

Can be somewhat stubborn; so start training very early!!!!!!!!!

Great family dog. Some do not do well in hot weather. They shed a drool a little.

Many have a tendency to "wander".  

Overall, a GREAT dog!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Excellent dogs - for the most part..

Can be somewhat stubborn; so start training very early!!!!!!!!!

Great family dog. Some do not do well in hot weather. They shed a drool a little.

Many have a tendency to "wander".  

Overall, a GREAT dog!

+1.  My parents have had a GP for something like 15 years.  She is really starting to show her age, but has lived a remarkably long time, especially here in TX.  She has always been somewhat thick-headed, but a very good dog and quite patient with kids.  And if you give her the chance, will bolt the gate and go explore for a few hours.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Isn't Greater Pyrenees the breed some sheep farmers around here use for guard dogs? BIG, white things, about like a Newfoundland but a tad bigger and all white?

The sheepfarmers tend to use them two to a herd. And leave them unattended for quite sometime. I'm sure the dogs are left to feed themselves. And they don't pick on the sheep either. Very loyal indeed. I can imagine they would be very protective of the kids or anyone they adopt. Probably make a very good pet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#5]
bset friend and his wife rescued one, and she is one of the best dogs i've ever known.  very, very mellow when unattended, but cavorts around like a puppy when played with.  gets along with other animals and new people.  passively protective--will walk to the door if she hears someone on the sidewalk, but will not bark unless they attempt to enter.  smart, but also intuitive like a horse.

absolutely wonderful dog.  if she is representative of the breed, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]

heres my Pry. No dog as fearless and loyal. They were bred to guard flocks of sheep, and have been known to go after bears. They put spiked collars on them to prevent an animal from biting their necks. They are wanders for sure, they were bred  tp cover large areas on their own.

They don't like being kept indoors all the time and prefer being outside even in the colder weather.If I had to say something bad, at worst I would say they aren't the best listeners as was mentioned, again they were bred to work independantly, and they shed(drool wasn't a big issue with mine). The instinct to protect is uncanny, yet an outwardly friendly dog, you could trust with an infant. and not ever worry about the mailman or a neighbor getting bit, unless they threated your family.

I would not hesitate to get one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is just a mediocre.

j/k
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
My neighboor has one. His name is bumbles and he is a nice dog.

I own a Boxer and they Vet that did my dogs ears is a vet in a rural area, she has a few paitents that are real working GP's. Some of the sheep farmers here in East TN are using them to keep the Coyotes away. Kinda cool to see that sort of dog still do it's job.

From my limited experience I think GP's are cool and would make a good dog.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, we're getting a rescue GP puppy this weekend, from a breeder in MI. An accidental litter from one of customer's who had a pair of show GPs. On the plus side, the breeder has all the records for the dogs family, and she seems like she knows what she's doing (been breeding GPs for ~ 20 years).

We have our choice of a male or female, but are probably going with the female in an attemppt to minimize conflict with the 14 year old Shiba who lives with us now.  The pup will be 12 weeks old when we pick it up this weekend and we are really looking forward to getting her.

Pictures will follw
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, we're getting a rescue GP puppy this weekend, from a breeder in MI. An accidental litter from one of customer's who had a pair of show GPs. On the plus side, the breeder has all the records for the dogs family, and she seems like she knows what she's doing (been breeding GPs for ~ 20 years).

We have our choice of a male or female, but are probably going with the female in an attemppt to minimize conflict with the 14 year old Shiba who lives with us now.  The pup will be 12 weeks old when we pick it up this weekend and we are really looking forward to getting her.

Pictures will follw

Great choice.  I've had GPs and GP mixes for 10 years now.  You've made a great choice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck with the pup.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a great pyrenees mixed with a retriever as well. We got her from some people that rescued her and was the only survivor of her litter and her family. All of them died from parvo except for her. She is a great dog though. She definitely had a personality too. And yes she is still stubborn at times and is notorious for getting out of the yard and wandering around too. But, we always knw when there is something or somone near the yard, she is great with the kids, and behaves well inside the house barring the few times she got things off the counter. All in all a great dog!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a GP from a breader in WV. She is wonderful, if not stubborn. Like others said, start training early.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Grew up on a farm that ran sheep and had two GP.   They are very gentle and protective.   When out with the sheep, the sheep could care less about the dogs, unlike other breeds.  Funny thing is the GP would never go after a lamb or Ewe.  But when we had to cut tails or a lamb died they would be first in line to eat them???? Dont ask why.  As for habits, they like to lay around all day for the most part under a shade tree without a care in the world.  At night it is a different world if there is coyotes around.   They will bark and bark and bark all night long.  In the mornings they like to go for a walk, couple of miles, and if they see a nice place to lay down under the neighbors trees, they will.   But they will come back sometime in the evenings.  They have to be one of the toughest dogs in the world.   A friend of a friend who runs sheep in California had his two male, "wild" GP that are caught twice a year only for shots and vet stuff,   they killed a Mountain Lion.  Their necks have so much skin that you can't reach anything vital, and the muzzle is the size of a big bear.   As for kids never had a problem, very gentle giants.    They also love to horse around both Sugar and Tasha  played rough.  Just watch with little kids because GP dont know how big and powerful they are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top