Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/16/2014 7:34:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2014 9:54:16 PM EST by Paulie771]
Did you trade in the first gen scope for a newer generation? If so, how did you do it? I keep reading about people doing it but can't find anything online regarding procedure or who to contact now that Gibbs is out of that particular game. I've tried contacting Hi-lux but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Otherwise, what do you think of your rifle? I just picked mine up and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Would love to trade this first gen POS "scope" for one of the newer/est ones, but I'm afraid they've stopped the trade in program.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:41:44 PM EST
Why would you get that? An AR-10 is much more reliable and accurate than an old and obsolete bolt action that can't even shoot fast or have quick follow up shots. Heck, a mini-14 would be more practical.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:00:35 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
Why would you get that? An AR-10 is much more reliable and accurate than an old and obsolete bolt action that can't even shoot fast or have quick follow up shots. Heck, a mini-14 would be more practical.
View Quote

How fast do your followup shots need to be at 500-600 yards? OP bought what he liked. Presumably because it was in stock and legal when he wanted it and had the money. Perfectly valid reasons to buy something.

You want impractical? I bought a Hipoint 4595 last weekend.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:08:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2014 8:09:09 PM EST by EagleArmsHBAR]
Originally Posted By shack357:

How fast do your followup shots need to be at 500-600 yards? OP bought what he liked. Presumably because it was in stock and legal when he wanted it and had the money. Perfectly valid reasons to buy something.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No dean to get a HiPoint when you can have a used 92FS. YOU HAVE TO LIKE WHAT I LIKE!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:13:53 PM EST
View Quote

I have a fantasy of shooting Nazi's in the face. What's so wrong with that? Why must you piss on my dreams!?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:15:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

I have a fantasy of shooting Nazi's in the face. What's so wrong with that? Why must you piss on my dreams!?
View All Quotes

Just ignore it. He's obviously never experienced the sheer JOY of an 03.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:19:02 PM EST
I don't have an answer but a friend has one he is thinking of selling.
Are they any good or should I walk away
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:19:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By desertmoon:

View All Quotes

No, I am just proving a point. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1687232_The_Mini_14_sucks.html
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:20:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2014 8:21:15 PM EST by desertmoon]
No, I am just proving a point. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1687232_The_Mini_14_sucks.html
View All Quotes

...but...we all KNOW the Mini 14 sucks....that's why this isn't "Mini14.com".
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:23:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2014 8:30:59 PM EST by Paulie771]
Originally Posted By MILLERLGT82:
View Quote

Haven't shot mine yet. Just picked it up yesterday. The first generation scopes were horrible Chi-com crap that fell apart in recoil. Supposedly the second gen (M73G2) was substantially better and the newest generation is quite good and uses modern methods, coated glass, nitrogen purging, much better range of motion in the drums, etc (basically a modern scope made to look like an original instead of a straight up clone like the G1).

As for shooting, everything I've read says they are quite accurate. New barrels and stocks and all that. The trigger on mine is pretty heavy, but that's easily remedied with a $55 Timney Sportsman. If you plan on shooting a vintage sniper rifle match, you have to leave them pretty much as is. If you aren't and you want them to be as accurate as possible, you can bed them like every other rifle and it seems to help a lot. I plan on doing that to mine.

I don't know what you're friend will want for his. They sold for $1000-1200 depending on when and who you got it from. I was happy to get mine for $1000 on Gunbroker. If you can get it for less and it has a newer generation scope, I'd say go for it.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:26:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2014 8:27:55 PM EST by MILLERLGT82]

Haven't shot mine yet. Just picked it up yesterday. The first generation scopes were horrible Chi-com crap that fell apart in recoil. Supposedly, the newest generation (G4) and the one previous to it (G2) were substantially better.

As for shooting, everything I've read says they are quite accurate. New barrels and stocks and all that. The trigger on mine is pretty heavy, but that's easily remedied with a $55 Timeny Sportsman. If you plan on shooting a vintage sniper rifle match, you have to leave them pretty much as is. If you aren't and you want them to be as accurate as possible, you can bed them like every other rifle and it seems to help a lot. I plan on doing that to mine.

I don't know what you're friend will want for his. They sold for $1000-1200 depending on when and who you got it from. I was happy to get mine for $1000 on Gunbroker. If you can get it for less and it has a newer generation scope, I'd say go for it.

View All Quotes

Haven't shot mine yet. Just picked it up yesterday. The first generation scopes were horrible Chi-com crap that fell apart in recoil. Supposedly, the newest generation (G4) and the one previous to it (G2) were substantially better.

As for shooting, everything I've read says they are quite accurate. New barrels and stocks and all that. The trigger on mine is pretty heavy, but that's easily remedied with a $55 Timeny Sportsman. If you plan on shooting a vintage sniper rifle match, you have to leave them pretty much as is. If you aren't and you want them to be as accurate as possible, you can bed them like every other rifle and it seems to help a lot. I plan on doing that to mine.

Well I think you just sold me on it lol
I'm not sure what gen it is but he is only asking $750 for it but he is an older guy and slowly selling his collection so now what I know they are worth I will give him more money for it as I don't want to screw him

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:27:38 PM EST

I'm not sure what gen it is but he is only asking $750 for it

View All Quotes

I'm not sure what gen it is but he is only asking $750 for it

Not a bad price at all.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:28:13 PM EST
View Quote

So you need quick follow up shots on paper and steel?

You must be tactical as hell
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:28:27 PM EST
No dean to get a HiPoint when you can have a used 92FS. YOU HAVE TO LIKE WHAT I LIKE!
View All Quotes

Used 92FS is not a carbine, and does not fire .45ACP.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:30:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Eric3654:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Eric3654:

Obvious troll is obvious. Don't feed him.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:01:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2014 9:03:43 PM EST by Paulie771]

I'm not sure what gen it is but he is only asking $750 for it but he is an older guy and slowly selling his collection so now what I know they are worth I will give him more money for it as I don't want to screw him

View All Quotes

I wish I could've found one for that price. Here's a review you might want to watch over it (I believe this has a second gen scope) by Arfcom's very own Sturmgewehr (MAC):
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:04:14 PM EST
I got one because I have crates of Greek ammo. The crap scope came off and a Leopold 1-4 went on it.

4-5 inch groups at 300 yards off bags.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:05:35 PM EST

View All Quotes

Yup. I have a James River Armory restored Smith-Corona '03A3 with a Criterion match grade barrel. It's fucking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:09:30 PM EST

Haven't shot mine yet. Just picked it up yesterday. The first generation scopes were horrible Chi-com crap that fell apart in recoil. Supposedly the second gen (M73G2) was substantially better and the newest generation is quite good and uses modern methods, coated glass, nitrogen purging, much better range of motion in the drums, etc (basically a modern scope made to look like an original instead of a straight up clone like the G1).

As for shooting, everything I've read says they are quite accurate. New barrels and stocks and all that. The trigger on mine is pretty heavy, but that's easily remedied with a $55 Timney Sportsman. If you plan on shooting a vintage sniper rifle match, you have to leave them pretty much as is. If you aren't and you want them to be as accurate as possible, you can bed them like every other rifle and it seems to help a lot. I plan on doing that to mine.

View All Quotes

I bought one, specifically for my 1903, never shot it but when it came they included a warning saying the windage and elevation turrets had been reversed.
I should have traded it for a new one for free when they were offering it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:12:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/16/2014 9:13:20 PM EST by Paulie771]
Originally Posted By Gunnerpalace:

I bought one, specifically for my 1903, never shot it but when it came they included a warning saying the windage and elevation turrets had been reversed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gunnerpalace:

Did they stop offering the trade in program? That will seriously dampen my enthusiasm for this rifle until I can scratch up the cash for a new gen 4. I was hoping to trade this G1 in and perhaps pay a bit extra to get the newest version.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:13:12 PM EST

View All Quotes

Are we talking normal boring Hitler Nazi's or more of the sexy, jackboots, leather and lace Nazi's?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:13:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By 50DollarCheShirt:

Are we talking normal boring Hitler Nazi's or more of the sexy, jackboots, leather and lace Nazi's?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 50DollarCheShirt:

I guess it depends on what we're shooting them in the face with...
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:22:15 PM EST
View Quote
I know it's weird but some people buy certain guns because they think they're cool and interesting, and not because they're the most practical tier 1 operator platform.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:34:02 PM EST
View Quote

No, you're just getting butthurt and dumping all over the OP's thread because people see a lot of aesthetic and historical value in a 1903 and practical value in AR's, and not much of either in your Mini.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:40:59 PM EST
I had one and sold it. It had a Criterion barrel and beautiful wood. I put an original Weaver with post reticle on it.
Sweet, sweet rifle, way more accurate than me.
I will have another, thinking of sending my Remington 03A3 to the smith in Colorado that builds them and have him put an original mount on it.
I kept the Weaver when I sold the Gibbs.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:42:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

No, you're just getting butthurt and dumping all over the OP's thread because people see a lot of aesthetic and historical value in a 1903 and practical value in AR's, and not much of either in your Mini.
View All Quotes

It's GD and I was simply using OP to make a point that it's ok to like something even if it's not the most tactical and the cheapest.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:52:19 PM EST
It's GD and I was simply using OP to make a point that it's ok to like something even if it's not the most tactical and the cheapest.
View All Quotes

Point made. Can we get this back to the 1903A4 I posted my question about, please?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:09:36 PM EST

Point made. Can we get this back to the 1903A4 I posted my question about, please?
View All Quotes

Yes we can. The 1903A4 looks like a really sweet setup and I wish I had one. The closest I have is an 03 MK I, but obviously it's not scoped. Sorry for the hijack.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:30:47 AM EST
...and now i want to finish my 03A3 project....thanks a lot, OP.

Based on the MAC video....assuming like quality for all production guns....I'd go for it....
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:09:43 AM EST
Yes we can. The 1903A4 looks like a really sweet setup and I wish I had one. The closest I have is an 03 MK I, but obviously it's not scoped. Sorry for the hijack.
View All Quotes

No worries. I understand your frustration sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:10:42 AM EST
...and now i want to finish my 03A3 project....thanks a lot, OP.

Based on the MAC video....assuming like quality for all production guns....I'd go for it....
View Quote

Only complaint I've ever read or heard were on the first run of scopes and the trigger not being the nicest. They seem to really own the vintage rifle matches that are popular right now.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:48:28 AM EST
One big thing to check on these is the scope base screws. Mine were not only loose, but too short. Replaced them and loctite and all was fine. My first scope blew apart and they replaced it. Was not aware that they were done making them. I look forward to the value increase soon.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:55:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By P08:
One big thing to check on these is the scope base screws. Mine were not only loose, but too short. Replaced them and loctite and all was fine. My first scope blew apart and they replaced it. Was not aware that they were done making them. I look forward to the value increase soon.
View Quote

Gibbs was bought out by Creedmore. They sell them for $1200 now. Someone else sells them under a different name, JFA or something like that? All are made by the same factory I believe though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:08:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/17/2014 10:15:37 AM EST by jaroot]
I bought my 03A4orgery from Creedmoor. It had a M73G2 (second generation) on it that was blurry. I sent the whole rifle back to RRMW (Rock Ridge Machine Works - makers of these) because the bolt handle modification looked like a 2 year old with a die grinder did the work. They smoothed it out and replaced the scope with a M73G4 (newest gen).

I subsequently sold the scope, mount and rings and bought a Redfield mount and found a Lyman Alaskan with correct rings on a pre-64 Mod 70 Winchester at a local shop. Bought the scope and rings and that is what I have been using. 10X better than the 330 knock off.

So I would say, sell the 330 and rings and buy one of the M82 reproductions, or even one of the M84 reproductions. Much better scopes by design.

My 03A4orgery has been heavily modified. New stock, 1903 trigger guard / floor plate, Lyman Alaskan, trigger work. It's a very accurate rifle and the CMP Vintage Sniper match is an absolute blast. I highly recommend it.

I am currently putting together a 1941 USMC clone with the 8X Unertl for next year.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:18:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By jaroot:
I bought my 03A4orgery from Creedmoor. It had a M73G2 (second generation) on it that was blurry. I sent the whole rifle back to RRMW (Rock Ridge Machine Works - makers of these) because the bolt handle modification looked like a 2 year old with a die grinder did the work. They smoothed it out and replaced the scope with a M73G4 (newest gen).

I subsequently sold the scope, mount and rings and bought a Redfield mount and found a Lyman Alaskan with correct rings on a pre-64 Mod 70 Winchester at a local shop. Bought the scope and rings and that is what I have been using. 10X better than the 330 knock off.

So I would say, sell the 330 and rings and buy one of the M82 reproductions, or even one of the M84 reproductions. Much better scopes by design.

My 03A4orgery has been heavily modified. New stock, 1903 trigger guard / floor plate, Lyman Alaskan, trigger work. It's a very accurate rifle and the CMP Vintage Sniper match is an absolute blast. I highly recommend it.

I am currently putting together a 1941 USMC clone with the 8X Unertl for next year.

View Quote

I have seen where Hi-lux is offering the USMC 8x Unertl now. Have you seen or heard from anyone at matches that use it? If I have to buy my own, I'd rather have the higher mag and better eye relief, even if it's not a true A1 clone.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:22:56 AM EST
I ordered mine last night from Optics Planet. They currently have the 8X (EE suffix part number) on sale for $457 delivered (call or chat with a rep to get the code). Obviously you have to have a straight 1903 to put it on and you must drill and tap the barrel and receiver to accept the mounts. I bought a set of Steve Earle reproduction Unertl O & E blocks rather than use the blocks supplied with the 8X.

There were quite a few 8X Hi-Lux Unertl clones on the line at CP last year. Considering that a real 1 or 1.25 inch objective 8X Unertl will sell for 3X what the repro sells for and the repro will have better glass, it is a no brainer. The match winners were using 1941 USMC sniper clones and they may have very well been using the Hi-Lux knock-offs.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:24:38 AM EST
View Quote

Haley pants.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:25:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/17/2014 10:26:31 AM EST by MVolkJ]
The M73 sucks. The copies are fantastic copies of a shitty scope.

Dump that POS and put a Lyman Alaskan on there, like jaroot suggests.

The M73 belongs in a garbage can.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:37:16 AM EST
Not to hijack a thread ... however I have a 1903A4 from my fathers collection that I am in need of selling for my mother...
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:51:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By phonegunner:
Not to hijack a thread ... however I have a 1903A4 from my fathers collection that I am in need of selling for my mother...
View Quote

If you have pics, hijack away!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:34:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By phonegunner:
View Quote
I'll give you $100
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:40:24 AM EST
If I wanted one, I'd make my own (I have access to a mill with which I could drill and tap a receiver).
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:57:26 AM EST
I have one and love it. One of the best triggers on any of my rifles and that's saying a lot. Mine consistently holds 1 moa or better at 100 yds as it came. I shoot exclusively the privy rounds made for the m1 garand, 1903.
Hands down my favorite rifle. the weight takes all the recoil out. I even like the small scope for my old eyes. Everyone who has shot it wants one now. Its not a safe queen, I shoot it regularly, and even will hunt with it. Hard to find modern rifles with the same sex appeal.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:00:58 PM EST
I put an original leather sling on it, no cheekpad as I have a huge head. shoot quality ammo in it, nothing corrosive and you will have a keeper for life. Every one of my friends who have shot it love it and want one of their own.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:02:46 PM EST
also don't trade out your trigger, just use it and itll get better, or simply stone and rouge it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:15:11 PM EST
View Quote

Because he only anticipates needing one shot... which is all I've ever needed with a scoped '03 and 168gr ballistic silvertips.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:18:03 PM EST
As for shooting, everything I've read says they are quite accurate. New barrels and stocks and all that. The trigger on mine is pretty heavy, but that's easily remedied with a $55 Timney Sportsman.
View Quote

A Timney trigger would require the trigger guard slot to be opened up. If you're going to start down that path you'd be better off to find a nice sporter '03 or 03A3.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:20:10 PM EST
View Quote

Because some people like to hit the broad side of a barn at distances greater than 50 yards.

Also some people just need one shot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:40:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/17/2014 1:46:03 PM EST by jaroot]
For as simplistic as the trigger is in the 03 / 03A3 / 1917, etc rifles they can be tuned quite well. My 03A4orgery has a good 2 lb first stage that comes against a solid wall, breaks the 2nd stage at 2 3/4 lbs (2 1/2 min for competition) and has very little detectable creep. It is quite repeatable. Parts are pretty readily available and easily replaced if you screw the whole thing up.

As far as anyone saying these rifles are not accurate... well... This was from some load development with mine. 175 SMK's, HXP 77 brass, IMR 4350, CCI BR primer

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:56:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By jaroot:
For as simplistic as the trigger is in the 03 / 03A3 / 1917, etc rifles they can be tuned quite well. My 03A4orgery has a good 2 lb first stage that comes against a solid wall, breaks the 2nd stage at 2 3/4 lbs (2 1/2 min for competition) and has very little detectable creep. It is quite repeatable. Parts are pretty readily available and easily replaced if you screw the whole thing up.

As far as anyone saying these rifles are not accurate... well... This was from some load development with mine. 175 SMK's, HXP 77 brass, IMR 4350, CCI BR primer

http://jarootfarms.com/photogallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_03A4_Test_2_Load_1.jpg

View Quote

Nice shooting! I'm pretty excited to find a load this one likes.

Unfortunately, to answer my OP: Hi-lux doesn't offer the trade in program any longer. I need to decide where to go from here.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:00:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
also don't trade out your trigger, just use it and itll get better, or simply stone and rouge it.
View Quote

This. Tuning a 1903/A3/A4 trigger is super easy. Lightly stone it and then polish it, you can get it to break like a glass rod.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top