Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/12/2006 11:31:43 AM EST
Dunno about you guys, but after my terminal leave and my IRR service was up I never got my Honorable Discharge certificate. Today I decided to get this taken care of.

After spending about an hour on hold with St. Louis I finally got the resolution to get a certificate.

First, go here --> Vet Records

Now click the {Launch eVetRecs -- Request Military Records} link.

Next, fill out the forms on the applet that pops up.

On step 2: There isnt a choice to pick discharge certificate on the category of request drop down, just choose personal military history. You have to explain exactly what you are looking for later in the form, in the comments box.

On step3: Choose the type of report you want (doesnt really matter), but proceed to the comments block. The chick from customer service told me to put a few specific things in the comments in order to get your certificate.

Just put something to the effect of "I am requesting a DD 256 (the kind that I can hang on the wall) from your office. I am requesting this because I never received one after my discharge"

Formulate it whatever you think is best, but I bolded the keywords that the customer service chick said was most important, they wont send it if you don't inculde those buzzwords.

Once you get to the end of the form, print it and either fax or mail it in. I fax'd mine so we'll see how long it takes that way.

Hope this helps some of you guys, I know I was pulling my hair out trying to get this done.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:31:37 PM EST
I wish to THANK YOU very much. It has long bothered me I never received my Honorable Discharge certificate. I know it is only symbolic and not the DD Form 214, but that is the least they could do for a vet. I think terminal leave screws it up and the office personnel don't give a rat's behind. MV out!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:59:51 AM EST
Big time thanks for this info. MODS this should really be tacked at the top.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:26:08 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:10:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 10:10:55 PM EST by billparadise]

Originally Posted By skygod:

I fax'd mine so we'll see how long it takes that way.

It took around a month for me to get a copy of my DD214, I mailed in my SF 180.

edit for grammar.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:20:39 PM EST
I received this response. I doubt it will take this long. MV out!

Thank you for submitting a request to the National Personnel Records Center.

The majority of these types of requests are serviced in 25 weeks or less. We regret the lengthy response time required to service your request. We service approximately 20,000 requests each week and are working earnestly and successfully at reducing our response time. Our goal is to reduce our response time on these types of requests to ten days or less.

Thank you.

End of auto-generated message
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:34:14 PM EST
bump until tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:15:12 AM EST
I did it and got the same reply as MontanaVet
So I'll just wait and see what and when I get a copy of my Honorable Discharge
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:23:23 PM EST
I never got mine either. Thanks for the link. I got out 22 years ago.
Top Top