Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 6:39:42 PM EST
Among all the other types of music I listen to, I like to kick back, crank up opera and just vegitate to its beauty...

I have absolutly fallen in love with Sarah Brightman's angelic voice.... I also have been listening to her and Andrea Bocelli and I have to wipe the dust out of my eyes quite frequently...

What do you listen to? Anything modern?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:40:48 PM EST
No opera. To me it's like the dentists drill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:41:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:44:18 PM EST
Ahhh..Ya'll don't have any culture

Not only does Sarah Brightman have an angelic voice, she's HOT!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:45:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 6:46:26 PM EST by ar50troll]

Originally Posted By Az_Redneck:
Ahhh..Ya'll don't have any culture

Not only does Sarah Brightman have an angelic voice, she's HOT!

I actually did the work for her Harem CD radio spot. I have no idea where it was played but last year I did a voiceover for the album Haren by Sara Brightmon.
For angelic stuff I prefer The Cocteau Twins.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:47:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 7:19:20 PM EST by nightstalker]
Flower Duet from Lakme.....a favorite.

It's a bumper song on my local PBS station KCET.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:48:39 PM EST

Not that I'm some insane northern european with a monocle who sits around sipping port or anything, but I really do like a lot of Wagner's operas. I've got the entire set of Ring operas, plus Lohengrin and some others. Italian operas are nice, but therer's something I really like about Wagner.

Sarah Brightman does have a nice voice - another one you might like is Denyce Graves
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:53:01 PM EST
"La Donna e Mobile"

de: la Opera Rigoletto

G. Verdi
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:56:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 6:57:46 PM EST by Trumpet]
Yeah,
Brightman's hot, but that's about it. The only reason she's famous is because her ex-hubby Andrew Lloyd Webber cast her in Phantom. If you really want to listen to good opera, check out anything Cecelia Bartoli does. Also, Kathleen Battle (although she's a bitch and a half), Jessye Norman. For tenors, Bocelli is another "one hit wonder". Sad to say, but the only reason he's famous is because his "gimmick" is that he's a blind singer. Even Italians have a hard time understanding his diction in his singing, and he's Italian, singing Italian songs! If you like Bocelli's singing, then you owe it to yourself to check out older Pavoratti recordings (his newer stuff is crap. He's just too old anymore) and Domingo. Bryn Terfel is absolutely amazing. Basically, the Brightman and Bocelli are serving their purpose in getting people curious about opera. Now you're ready to hear some real singing.

I'm also a big Wagner fan. He's in my family tree
r
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:58:09 PM EST
I enjoy all music.

MT
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:03:01 PM EST
i listen to bocelli everyday..brightman has a few CD's around here as well...i think i have about a dz opera CD's..3 tenors...stuff like that.

i've been taking the wife to see the live operas that cruise thru Tulsa...for the last 6 years..

OOhhhh the MILFs all dolled up...oohhhhhhhhh my

when people find out that i listen to opera and classical music, they usually just stare at me funny,...

since i listen to metal and grunge bands...as well as old school coutry and bluegrass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:13:26 PM EST
Puccini, Verdi and Wagner are as good as it gets in the Opera world. Wagner more so because he doesn't dumb-down the music for the sake of the singers. He's the man.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:22:13 PM EST
Dude

I like to listen to Pavaratti(sp)

Nora durmsa(sp) takes my to a different place.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:33:18 PM EST
I find the voice of Kiri Te Kanawa makes me joyful...

Opera or Maori or other!

http://www.nzmusic.com/track.cfm?i=3004

gwen in l.a.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:47:15 PM EST
I listen to opera.

My friends worry about me sometimes...

18 year old who likes opera and guns. They think im a serial killer or something
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:19:41 PM EST
I love classical music, but I can't stand opera. The soprano hurts my ears.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:15:23 AM EST
BRONZ,
Do you mean "Nessun Dorma"? Puccini aria from Turandot? Great stuff.

Kiri Te Kanawa is great.

Ain't nothing wrong with classical or opera. When I taught music apprec. classes I always made the parallel with students that "Even if you don't listen to classical music, most everyone's heard of Bach. The man died in 1750. Do think anyone is going to know who Brittney Spears is 250 years after her death?"

I think most classical haters don't like it for two main reasons.
1) It's "new" to them and has a reputation for being "stuffy"
2) They've been so conditioned by a lifetime of listening to 2.5 minute songs (songs like "Stairway to Heaven", "Freebird", "Inna gotta da vida" are "marathon" songs to them), that when a 45 minute symphony is being played, they just can't pay attention for that long.

I personally like just about everything except hip hop.

R
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:34:43 AM EST
Yes. Opera rocks!

Took Miz LWilde to the Kennedy Center to see La Boheme a few years ago. Really cool. Really pricey...but really cool.

I learned about opera by watching Looney Tunes too! Who doesn't remember, "Kill the wabbit...Kill the wabbit! Or how about the El Barbieri de Seville bit where Bugs is giving Elmer the shave and haircut?" Great music...classic tunes comedy. Best of both worlds.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:51:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By mjrowley:
www.thewolfweb.com/photos/00005310.jpg

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:54:22 AM EST
No, but I listened to Oprah once. Damn that fat bitch pissed me off.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:55:10 AM EST
ACtually...I love ALL music.

Big Band is a favorite

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:58:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 11:05:57 AM EST by Greenhorn]
I enjoy Opera a lot, just as I enjoy a good play. Operas such as Le Nozze de Figero, Carmen, Rigeletto, Der Ring des Nibelungen etc., are excellent stories and extremely enjoyable to watch . . . as long as you have subtitles of course.

I don't usually listen to opera, however, because it's meant to be WATCHED. If I'm going to listen to music, I'll listen to music that's meant to only be listened to. And I listen to a LOT of music. I've got a collection of about 150 Classical/Romantic period music.

Operas, and most classical music, does not appeal to most people today because they 1) don't understand anything deeper than rock, and 2) it takes effort to truly appreciate it and it's easier to watch football. I've been studying music, writing music and playing music for a long time. I'm a double music major (B.A and Ed.) and I might add Performance, and I deeply appreciate good music and admire the composers. I can't think of any modern composer who can do that to me, except perhaps some movie composers like Howard Shore.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:00:00 AM EST
I like Wagner but only the music. I don't likr the arias.
Top Top