Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2013 9:16:32 AM EDT
I have a 1992 Trans Am that belonged to my Farther. He had passed away in 2002 and I've owned the car since. When He passed I was joining the Army and I had put the car in a rental storage. The car was started once a moth by my mother and is still in the storage rental.

The car is mint and only has 19,000. miles on it I had never intended to sell it but we are getting way behind on the house mortgage.
My question is what is it worth? What should I ask for it?

It has a 350 high preform package and the interior is still new:

God, it sucks to sell it (its painful), but we can't lose the house.
What do you guys think I should ask for it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that is a clean T/A
Hopefully you don't have to let it go.

As far as market value... OBD1 (pre-96) ponycars aren't in real high demand.  You might try a snooping around a Pontiac website, maybe you can find a collector who might value it more a craigslist buyer would
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you need to find another source of income, selling the car in a soft market is only a temporary fix.  You will be in trouble again sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Id bet it brings a pretty penny. 92 was a good year and its super low milage. Someone will want it for a collection
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked up NADA just for kicks.

WOW! I am shocked at how high book value is.

I hope you get to keep it, if not I hope you sell it to a T/A collector, not some mullet head.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Clean carfax? Number of owners?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Find any other way.  You will kick yourself in the ass over this every single day for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#7]
How much are you paying for storage?

Take it out and make it your daily driver.  Your dad would have wanted it that way.

You have a car right?       Sell that one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to thirdgen.org and check the forums there. A 92 no t-top with low miles like that will bring in over 10k, especially if it has the WS6 package.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
hey OP, you're in Ohio, right?  
You might be sitting on a goldmine.  Midwest/east coast cars of that age tend to be rusted out piles of shit, that car obviously isn't one of those.

That said, I'm with the others... selling your dad's hotrod would be a last resort in my book.  That's a sweet car, but probably sweeter to you than to anyone else seeing that it's been in the family for all these years.  Something to think about.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Take it out and make it your daily driver.  Your dad would have wanted it that way.

View Quote

Agreed, sell whatever you're driving now. That Trans Am is cherry

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#11]
That thing is a beauty.   $15k asking price.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#12]
As someone who LOVES 3rd gens, That  should get you about 10k.  Maybe alittle more, mostly cause of how clean it is and the lack of miles.  If it was a normal, 119k, paint was faded T/A, id say 2500-3k.  

That aside, in the camaro/firebird world, what you have is a Gem.  I wouldnt sell it, 1 because of the lack of miles and 2 it was ur dads.  You will kick yourself twice if you do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#13]
That is a sweet TA. Good luck to you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Yea, I'd try to keep it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Probably worth $8,700
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Find any other way.  You will kick yourself in the ass over this every single day for the rest of your life.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#21]
19,000 miles?!

I would NOT sell that car, but if you do please sell it to a collector or at least some kind of responsible adult. It would be a shame to see that thing ruined by some 16-year-old kid a week later.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Just a little fwiw, even if you could get, say, $13,000 for it, that isn't much at all these days.

You would pay that much for any reasonably reliable used car, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
19,000 miles?!

I would NOT sell that car, but if you do please sell it to a collector or at least some kind of responsible adult. It would be a shame to see that thing ruined by some 16-year-old kid a week later.

View Quote

No kidding!

I would've thought that all of the low mile, WS6 Formula's would've been long gone by now. The only real bad thing that you could say about those cars (other than the TPI intake manifold was designed for the 305, and not the 350, and it showes) is that its a slush box, like all of the 350 TPI F bodies of the day. You could probably swap the trans out, but with so low mileage, that car is a survivor, and probably should only be a weekend/sunshine/car show toy.

You may have to sell it, but once it's gone, you won't ever be able to find another one like it, in similar condition. Plus, it's your Dad's car...
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#24]
My bottom dollar on that would be 12.5k and I would start at 15k.  You very well may have the lowest mileage 92 WS6.  This is not just a old car, it's the best of the best with stupid low mileage.  Get it appraised before you do anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#25]
the other thing about its "value" is

"what would it cost to buy something like that new, today?"

$54,350*

With the 6.2L supercharged engine and its 580 horsepower and 556 lb.-ft. of torque, this is the cure for performance anxiety.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Very nice car. Despite the fact that it belonged to your late father, it's still just a car. Unless it has significant nostalgia or memories tied up into don't get emotional over selling it, it's just an object.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
the other thing about its "value" is "what would it cost to buy something like that new, today?"

$54,350*[div style='margin: 0px; padding: 0px; text-align: center; ']
  • [div style='margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ']

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-zl1-sports-car.html
[/span]

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
the other thing about its "value" is "what would it cost to buy something like that new, today?"

[div style='margin: 0px; padding: 0px; '][div style='margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ']With the 6.2L supercharged engine and its 580 horsepower and 556 lb.-ft. of torque, this is the cure for performance anxiety.

View Quote

That car is a far cry from any 3rd gen F-body, and you know it! The only thing that even comes close is the Turbo T/A with the Grand National engine. And only that one because you can easily turn up the wick without having to tear the engine out at square one to get 400 hp out of it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Your dad would not want you to lose your house.

Sell it, and never look back. I bet he would be happy to know it helped keep a roof over your family.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice car.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#32]
What is "way behind"?

If you get $10k out of and still loose the house what have you accomplished?

If you were close to him, you'll regret selling it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Stop parking it on the grass.. moisture

and yes you probably need to figure out why you are in this situation with the house. and how soon will you be in it again.. perhaps losing the house is better than trying to keep up a a struggle to maintain on a downward spiral... don't know your situation...

Dude at work sold his 06 truck because it would cost a couple thousand to fix it.. said he had to buy a new truck which is $30,000.. hmmm

$30,000 is much cheaper than $2,000

I don't owe a single penny on any vehicle I own.. replacing any of them with a new vehicle in this GAS PRICE climate is pretty stupid as it would take oh somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 years to get any savings.. unless there is a car/truck getting 200mpg that I don't know about

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#34]
"I can't go more than $3,500"

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I give ya $1000 for it

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#36]
If you really must sell it get the mortgage paid up and put the rest in a college fund for your kids.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

[div style='margin: 0px; padding: 0px; '][div style='margin: 0px; padding: 0px; ']With the 6.2L supercharged engine and its 580 horsepower and 556 lb.-ft. of torque, this is the cure for performance anxiety.

View Quote

Not even the same ballgame
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Probably worth $8,700
View Quote

this, maybe
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

maybe not in features, but in concept

His Dad bought a high performance package, WS6 Trans Am new in 1992,

less than a thousand trans ams were made that year.
How much would one need to spend today, to buy a similar class car at a dealership?

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, I just looked. The production numbers were very low in '92. Only 969 Trans Ams were made.

http://www.thirdgen.org/1992-pontiac-firebird

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I looked up NADA just for kicks.

WOW! I am shocked at how high book value is.

I hope you get to keep it, if not I hope you sell it to a T/A collector, not some mullet head.
View Quote

Wait... isn't that the same thing?

J/K, nice car. Can't tell you what it goes for, but I hope you can find a way out of your situation, and hopefully not have to sell it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I spent a few years turning a dealership around that specialed in rare cars.

If buying for the dealership I'd pay you 8500 cash. If selling personally if try to get 10. Maybe 10.5 out of it. Selling for the dealership 11,995 asking price. There are a couple out there.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#44]
That's gorgeous. Another vote here for keep it and sell whatever you are driving now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#45]
What you have there looks to be a very clean low mileage, likely rarely optioned final model year 3rd gen example.  Finding any of them in nice shape is difficult, finding a last year WS6 hard top in great shape is very rare, I doubt there were more than a couple hundred optioned like that.  That is not a car you sell in a hurry, it is a car you clean up and detail to immaculate condition, and sell to someone who has an emotional attachment to that particular car and extra money to over pay for the rare nice example.

Answer 1 is not to sell the car because it is and will become more special to you.  However hard times are hard times, and you gotta do what you gotta do.  Be honest and up front with yourself if you could see yourself affording long term keeping this car as a keepsake.  If not, move on, and deal with selling it, rather than continue to waste money on keeping it only to have it depreciate.  Because as a car, 3rd gen F-bodies are pretty much trash and not a good pick for daily driving.  The only reason to have/love and one is due to emotional attachment.

Answer 2 is going into winter is not the right time to sell that car.  Its value will be some 20-30%  higher in spring when people are shopping for summer toys, and you'll see many more offers.  If you want to sell this car now, you need to cast your net outside of the rust belt.  Talking Texas, down south.  Not 4 season areas.

Answer 3 is if you must sell the car, it'll probably need that wide net cast, very good online ads maybe even considering working with a specialty dealer that can help find the right buyer.  Do a full polish/wax job on it to get the paint looking right.  Clean up the engine bay and take care of any underbody rust if there is any.  Personally, I'd also get that front plate holder removed and patched up.  Do everything that is reasonable with sweat labor to make it look like a cherry car that was loved and washed with a diaper.  After that is done post your ads with lots of pictures.  Put it on forums but expect 99% of the offers to be lowballs.  Start at 15k and see what happens.  If the interior is cherry and everything else is made to look cherry, you'll should get 10k without too much trouble, and upwards of the 15k to the perfect buyer.

If you are somehow able to keep the car, then there are things you should do to help keep it up, even if it is just sitting in storage.  Change the fluids, use a good UV protectant like 303 on all vinyl and plastic, jack up the pressure in the tires, use a cover if it sits outside.  Lots of tips online for storage.

I hope it works out and you can keep it if that is what you really want to do.

Final note - I'd also ask some hard questions about whether or not selling the car will just put off losing the house for another 6 months, throwing good money at bad sort of thing.  If the house has no equity and you have to deal with less costly living arrangements it is much better to do it with your assets than without.

- long time f-body owner - '89 --> '93 --> '00 --> now '08 C6.  All good cars to me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

54K for a Camaro? Good lord car prices have gone insane.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Your dad would not want you to lose your house.

Sell it, and never look back. I bet he would be happy to know it helped keep a roof over your family.
View Quote

and this... My family would be glad i fed my family even if it meant selling all my inherited toys.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for all the input, I've been thinking very hard about this situation all day. The car I have now is a 98 Grand Pix and yeah, its a beater, selling the grand pix it is out of the question, simply because its not worth a lot and even if it was, I don't think I could use the T/A for every day use.....like someone wrote, its a show/wax car only.

I really love the T/A, as much as my dad did and I just can't bring myself to sell it. I can't begin to tell you how proud he was to own that car and I can't help but feel that if I was to sell it ( just for this temporary fix of something as pathetic as a lack of funds) that some how I would be throwing away a memory of that pride.

I don't have any kids, it just me and my women. We are now two months behind in the mortgage and I haven't had much luck finding a "Good" job, just flipping burgers. I'm 44 years old now and I'm starting to lose hope of finding a good job. I'm using my GI Bill and going to school but finding a job around here sucks. I have a AR10 and a few other things that I'm going to put up for sale, as long as I have one AR15 I should be GTG...right?...lol

I keep the car in storage, it never leave it, it never see snow or rain. I keep it in storage because the barn is in sad shape, when it rains out side, it rain in the barn..lol, and I don't want to keep it outside.
I just hope that one day I can afford a nice place to keep her.  

Thanks again for all the input.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just hope that one day I can afford a nice place to keep her.  
View Quote

I've got a nice dry place to keep her...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top