Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 5:29:52 PM EDT
I asked in other forums but no response.

TIA.....SRM
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it..............

87?
or
90210?
or
69?

Sorry, I'm actually interested in an intellegent answer myself!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL, at leastI got a response.  Funny to think the only question this forum can't answer relates to AR's.....

SRM
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably better chance of getting an answer if you put it in the Technical Forum.  A lot of guys don't enter GD...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The exact technical description is; faster'n a cat can lick it's ass.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
In before the lock of an AR with stock parts
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.....I tried the tech forums, but the silence was deafening.  At least a few people are willing to comment.

FWIW, I think it would be pretty slow compared to a remington 700 or a specialized target rifle.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If I understand the question correctly... doesn't this depend on a few things such as propellant type and barrel length?

EDIT: Nevermind. I misunderstood the question. Let's see if I can dig anything up, though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
No I am asking about the time it takes for the mechanical linkages to engage.  Basically, how many milliseconds between the trigger pull to the firing pin hitting the primer.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No I am asking about the time it takes for the mechanical linkages to engage.  Basically, how many milliseconds between the trigger pull to the firing pin hitting the primer.

SRM

I have titanium firing pins in all my ARs. I can really feel the difference.

Seriously though. I've read 2 different definitions of "lock time"... one (which is the question you're asking), is the time between the trigger pull to the firing pin hitting the primer. The other is the time between the trigger pull and bullet exiting the muzzle.

Which is the more accepted standard?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]
its pretty slow compared to a high end shotgun but just fine for a military rifle. it feels like an eternity compared to a perazzi but i have had at least 3 perazzi triggers break on me. ive never seen a stock AR trigger let anyone down.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

SRM

Sorry, I don't have an answer - but I am mighty curious why you might want to know....  I just don't see the need for the info.

Of course, I might be curious about the time it takes (from pulling the trigger) to complete lock up of bolt and chamber on the following round and reset of the firing pin.   Of course, that could probably be taken by dividng the advertised maximum rate of fire in rounds per minute and dividing by sixty.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRM

I have titanium firing pins in all my ARs. I can really feel the difference.

Seriously though. I've read 2 different definitions of "lock time"... one (which is the question you're asking), is the time between the trigger pull to the firing pin hitting the primer. The other is the time between the trigger pull and bullet exiting the muzzle.

Which is the more accepted standard?

Although trigger break to firing pin impact is the standard definition, I believe either would work as long as you define it (which I should have done).

I think the AR would be comparable to a tuned colt/ruger SA and glacially slow compared to a striker based system.  Or am I wrong (again)?

SRM

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#13]
one more time to the top
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#14]
If you don't get a direct answer, try reading through these search results:
rec.guns archive search
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

SRM

.004 milliseconds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top