Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 3:23:01 PM EDT
Just wondering and figured I'd ask since if there is a way one of you guys is bound to know about it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no touch up method for parkerizing except to use paint or some other coating.  Parkerizing is a chemical conversion process that basically involves cooking the parts (to over simplify).

You can parkerize the entire firearm or parts yourself - the best resource I know for info is over at the Fal Files.  Brownell's sell kits with all the stuff needed.  There are many FAL builders that are doing this themselves.  There are also many coating businesses that you can hire for the job.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just wondering and figured I'd ask since if there is a way one of you guys is bound to know about it. Thanks.

You might try Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II if it is a small area.

Go to: Aluma-Hyde II
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always had terrific luck with some very old touch up blue that was in my grandfather's gun shop.  Some of the gun paste bluing works pretty good too.  

NOTE:  this is only for on metal parts, not the anodized aluminum receivers as found on AR's.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Will that stuff work on Glock slides?

Im thinking a brown slide might look kinda cool.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Will that stuff work on Glock slides?

Im thinking a brown slide might look kinda cool.

I used it to do my Glock slide and it turned out very good.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Degrease , touch up with Brownells Cold Blue. Put a bunch of oil on the part and rub very lightly with 0000 steel wool till the finish matches.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Degrease , touch up with Brownells Cold Blue. Put a bunch of oil on the part and rub very lightly with 0000 steel wool till the finish matches.

That will also work to somewhat darken Parkerizing if needed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]

I used it to do my Glock slide and it turned out very good.

Have any pictures?

What color did you do it in?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top